Esa K1300gt - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2009, 1:07 pm Thread Starter

Esa K1300gt

I have about 2500 km on the new bike but I can't seem to feel much change in the suspension with the various ESA settings.

I'm 210 pounds with a 100 pound wife and have tested the "normal" "sport" and "comfort" settings with the "one up" and "two up" settings on smooth and rough roads but can't really feel much difference. On "comfort" "two up" some longer dips in the toad felt "spongier" when we rode out of them.

Am I expecting to much?

What's been your experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2009, 2:28 pm

Esa on the K13

I noticed that the difference between the Sport and the Comfort setting is much bigger on the K12 than on the K13. While riding the first miles with the K13 I was thinking that the Esa did not work. Then whilst paying more attention to it, I noticed that the Comfort setting on the K13 is somewhat harder than on the K12.

One of the specs of the K13 is a better front wheel feel than on the previous model. I guess that a smart (and cost efficient) BMW engineer figured out that all it takes to achieve this feature is to harden the comfort setting

Does this help as an answer ?

Last edited by Andre; Jul 27th, 2009 at 2:29 pm. Reason: spelling
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2009, 8:07 am

I had ESA I on my RT and it was pretty good. I jump on the GT w/ESA II and I am close to a personal moment. The difference is striking, the levels are more discernable and the way the bike is actually suspended makes it feel like a single piece of billet. I ride alone with the suspension set at one plus luggage - comfort. When riding quickly I put it in normal. Sport would definately be for that. The main difference between version 1 and 2 is the feedback, no matter what the magazines say. I weigh 205. And at the setting I have with the roads I ride on the suspension perfectly dampens everything with full feedback.

2009 KGT1300 Apple Red (mine)
2008 RT Biarritz Blue (mine - sold)
2005 ST Piedmont Red/Light Magnesium (hers)
Luis Roth
BMWMOA #143775 IBA# 35651

Last edited by Semper_Fi; Jul 28th, 2009 at 8:13 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2009, 8:21 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by uglybuttugly
I have about 2500 km on the new bike but I can't seem to feel much change in the suspension with the various ESA settings.

I'm 210 pounds with a 100 pound wife and have tested the "normal" "sport" and "comfort" settings with the "one up" and "two up" settings on smooth and rough roads but can't really feel much difference. On "comfort" "two up" some longer dips in the toad felt "spongier" when we rode out of them.

Am I expecting to much?

What's been your experience?
Until I set the system to 2-up, the bike felt very spongey with my wife and our stuff on the bike going to the rally in Tennessee recently.

When riding alone, it did not feel that way at all to me.

Set on 2-up, the suspension seems properly set to handle the additional weight and it does not drop as much with both of us on the bike. This is good, but it causes me to be more "on my toes" with the reduced sag. I may need to drop the seat back down to the low position.

Bottom line - it seems to work just fine for us.

Bob Naumann
K1300GT
IBA 19100
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2009, 5:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre

Does this help as an answer ?
Yes, thanks. I was thinking that I should feel a very noticeable change in setting but, obviously, I should take some time to see what the best settings combinations will work for me under different conditions (1 up, 2 up ect,)

Probably a stupid question but; with ESA I shouldn't have to make any initial, manual, preload setting should I? It mentioned something about this "important" adjustment but was not clear if it was for a non-ESA bike. I don't have my manuel handy.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2009, 6:49 pm
Rookie

The ESA system doesn't need the preload, etc. set. That is all handled by the ESA.

I'm surprised you don't experience much difference in Comfort vs. Normal vs. Sport. I easily notice the change in spring rates and damping. On mine, you need pretty good roads for Sport unless you want to be very careful about avoiding lumps & bumps. Comfort is a little underdamped, but appreciated on some but not all busy surfaces. Normal is good most of the time.

2009 K1300GT (Red) :
-----------------------------------
2002 R1150R (Sold)
1997 Honda VFR 750 (Sold)
1997 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (Totalled)
1995 Honda ST1100 (Sold)
1980 Honda GL1100 (Sold)
1983 Yamaha XV920 (Sold)
1979 Honda CX500 (Sold)
1980 Yamaha XS400 Special II (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode