Broken Center Sand for the second time!!! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2009, 5:44 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Broken Center Sand for the second time!!!

I was getting ready for work at 5am went to put the 1200GT on the center stand to load up and it broke for the second time almost dropped the bike. After work rode over to the dealer that fixed it last year and they said we never seen that before i said BS and told them that the salesman was the counter boy last year ask him. I then told them that this is unacceptable for a 24k bike and they better put one off a 1300GT on it way else would they redesign it. I have never on any motorcycle that i have owned had the center stand break! I told the service manager there should be a recall before someone gets hurt or it Fups someones bike.I will keep the forum updated when they make a decision on what stand they are going to warrant.

2008 K1200 GT Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2009, 6:28 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtn17
I was getting ready for work at 5am went to put the 1200GT on the center stand to load up and it broke for the second time almost dropped the bike. After work rode over to the dealer that fixed it last year and they said we never seen that before i said BS and told them that the salesman was the counter boy last year ask him. I then told them that this is unacceptable for a 24k bike and they better put one off a 1300GT on it way else would they redesign it. I have never on any motorcycle that i have owned had the center stand break! I told the service manager there should be a recall before someone gets hurt or it Fups someones bike.I will keep the forum updated when they make a decision on what stand they are going to warrant.

Please post a picture of the break. I'd like to know where to add a gusset and avoid all the excitement.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2009, 8:50 pm
IBR# 366

See this thread for more info and pics. Specifically, post #9 shows pics of the break and the new K13GT stand. And post #17 shows how I fixed it once and for all.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2009, 8:56 pm
Veteran

You can't be too hard on BMW. This is the first year they have made center stands, I mean, GTs, I mean motorcycles, I mean, but at least your bike hasn't stalled ....... has it?

Glad you were able to fix it until BMW gets it right.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2009, 8:50 pm Thread Starter
Noob

The pics that Ken posted tells the story mine broke exactly the same both times.The dealer called today good news is the replacement is now the the 1300 center stand he told me that it is a different part number but they said it was exactly the same dimensions and looks the same they even measured the one on the showroom floor i will get the new one in a week and no my bike has never stalled has never had the BBS or hi idle just two center stands one clutch and the seats replaced.The bike runs real good even better at hi altitude does any one know where i could get the stickers that go on the bottom of the seat the new ones didn't have it i liked the quick reference on capacity's and good stuff like that.Thanks for every ones input that's what makes this a great forum.

2008 K1200 GT Blue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode