Top Case lock - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2009, 12:49 am Thread Starter

Top Case lock

So I really botched it this time. I bought a used top case and the previous owner supplied the barrel lock removed and in a ziplock baggie. I followed the instructions for re-keying it and shuffled the tumblers, but I somehow didn't get the locking tumbler which holds the barrel in the case in placed. So I inserted the barrel in the topcase and all seemed to work perfectly until I realized that the barrel wasn't "locked" into the case and could easily slip out. So I re-read the instructions, inserted the locking tumbler and re-inserted in the topcase. Sh*t...key won't insert all the way. Tried to hit the removal hole with the 90 degree paperclip...no joy. Decided to take it to the dealer today and figured they could pop it out. They failed and they destroyed the barrel..okay fine. So now they want to drill the barrel out, but I'm thinking the probability of them drilling the barrel without damaging the plastic is somewhere between low and slim. I'm thinking it makes more sense cut an access panel from the inside, then seal the cut panel with epoxy provided I'm able to extract the barrel and replace it. Part of the problem is you can't see a damn thing through the existing access hole and I'm thinking if I can cut an access panel from the inside, I can probably release the barrel lock and salvage this abortion of a modification. Thoughts?

Un-used mirror hole mounting posts AVAILABLE

Check it out here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2009, 8:00 am
Veteran

I took mine (older RT sidecase) to a locksmith the dealer recommended when they couldn't figure mine out. Cost me a whole $15 while I waited. He said it was similar to a Honda (I think??) lock.

Mack
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2009, 8:28 am
Enthusiast

A good (or bad) locksmith can get into any lock...

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2009, 10:12 am

I agree. If you carefully explain what you did to the locksmith (and bring your instructions along), they might be able to get you out of this. Worth a little time and money before you start cutting!

Exactly how did the dealer "break" the existing lock? They may have done enough damage already that even if opened that a new lock cylinder may not work correctly either...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2009, 10:16 am
Enthusiast

I may be off base here, but if the dealer screwed it up shouldn't it be up to them to take care of the problem? Fix it or replace the entire unit. That would be my argument - you broke it so you fix it.

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2009, 10:41 am

I assumed there was some sort of disclaimer/agreement beforehand...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2009, 10:42 am
Enthusiast

I hate when that happens!

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2009, 12:53 pm Thread Starter

progress

So I got the case back. Dealer spent 1.5 hours with it, including trying to drill the tumblers and could not extricate the lock from the case. Will have to go to a locksmith next.

Check it out here!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2009, 7:18 pm
Addict

Hmmm... I think I would have taken it to a locksmith before I let someone drill on it, but hopefully they can still pull you out.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2009, 7:26 pm Thread Starter

Foolish me...I took a BMW case with a BMW lock to a BMW dealer. I guess for those who read this in the future...perhaps directly to locksmith is way to go. I gave the dealer permission to drill using a small bit in order to clear the tumblers which hopefully didn't gum-up the plastic portion that holds the cylinder. The cylinder is toast and will have to be replaced and those run about $30. Cross fingers...hope the locksmith can un-jam it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
Hmmm... I think I would have taken it to a locksmith before I let someone drill on it, but hopefully they can still pull you out.

Check it out here!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode