Nordkapp route - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2009, 1:12 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Nordkapp route

i need from those who had been there already a route to nordkapp. interested also from here to helsinki avoiding countries where visa is required for eu citizens, also from helsinki to nordkapp, where to go, what to see, where to sleep, what to eat...anything will help.
thanks in advance.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
former and future k owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 11:54 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doru-in-Romania
i need from those who had been there already a route to nordkapp. interested also from here to helsinki avoiding countries where visa is required for eu citizens, also from helsinki to nordkapp, where to go, what to see, where to sleep, what to eat...anything will help.
thanks in advance.
Check out advrider.com. There is quite a bit of info on the North Cape and routes there.
I'll be riding up next Summer but not sure if I will use the KGT or my 990 Adventure.

Twist it, MAX
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2009, 9:22 am
htm
Noob

If you are hurry you may load your bike to train to North from Helsinki and start your riding from Rovaniemi, for example. But if you have time you could think to use east roads on your way to Lapland and Nordkapp or if you ride back via Finland.

I don't know if you want to use hotels or camping areas but in Lapland there's one hotel circuit road from Finland to Nordkapp and back. (Check the attachment picture and you find more information from www.laplandhotels.com). Ruka might be on your way to Lapland, www.ruka.fi.

Write "thousand lakes" to google and find a lot of information of Central Finland.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lapin-kasi-reitti.gif
Views:	23
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	10817  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2009, 11:51 am
I'm riding

Doru, do not bother with the route - just ride north. You would cross Hungary, Slovakia, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. In Tallinn take a ferry to Helsinki - departs every hour, I guess and takes 2 hours to sail. From Helsinki - again north to Oulu(E75) and Kemi. There you would have a choice - either ride along the Swedish border north or to Rovaniemi. We took the road along the Swedish border till Palajoensuu and then turned right and rode to Alta/Norway and then to Russeness and Horningsvag - NordKapp. And returned via Lakselv/Norway, Kangasniemi/Finland, Inari-Rovaniemi-Kajaani. If you are short of time you can eat in tank stations(like ABC or Neste) during the day, having breakfast at your hotel nad dinner where you like. Check the website of Sokos hotels - it's a chain of moderate hotels, not too expensive in Finland, with locked parking lots. But up North look for motels or campings(they offer cabins). If you have a Zumo or a Navi III - you would find them inside. Beware of elks and raindeers - they could be the real danger there.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2009, 1:49 pm Thread Starter
Addict

thanks all, 2 of my friends could not wait and are on the way already, yesterday they were in brno, czech rep, heading to rostok. can't wait to find news from them.

2010 R1200RT
2009 X6
2010 X1
former and future k owner
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2009, 1:55 pm
I'm riding

Quote:
thanks all, 2 of my friends could not wait and are on the way already, yesterday they were in brno, czech rep, heading to rostok. can't wait to find news from them.
to Rostok? 26 hours on board of a ferry to Helsinki then. It's a pity to loose so much riding time, imho. If they are not happy about roads in Poland and this is why they prefer to ride across Germany - then better to ride further north via Kobenhavn and to cross Sweden. Imho.
Are you riding as well?

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 2009, 2:11 pm
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT
Check out advrider.com. There is quite a bit of info on the North Cape and routes there.
I'll be riding up next Summer but not sure if I will use the KGT or my 990 Adventure.

Twist it, MAX

we did it in the middle of June, 2009, on GSes/F800 and 650 twins/ with my wife and that was cold and wet and foggy. KGT would be much more comfy - the roads there along the entire route are nice. Good asphalt all the way. But with 990Adv you would have an absolutely brilliant possibility to ride Finnish gravel roads - that's really something outstanding! We made a part of 1000 lakes Rally' loop( now it's called Neste Rally) and some more - superb!

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2009, 8:38 am
I'm riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXVERT
Check out advrider.com.

Twist it, MAX

BTW, welcome aboard!

read your posts on advrider - great trips!
No Pamir highway next summer?

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2009, 7:14 am
Rookie

Quote:
i need from those who had been there already a route to nordkapp.
If you are going to Nordkapp and have not already been to Lofoten I will highly recommend doing Lofoten and the coastal route (Kystriksveien) also. Amazing scenery and fun roads and if done in early summer it never gets dark.

Regards,
GB
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2009, 10:06 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman05
BTW, welcome aboard!

read your posts on advrider - great trips!
No Pamir highway next summer?
Thanks, E Man
No Pamir ride planned.
But I would like to find someone with Russian language skills to ride out to Vlad
with, maybe add Mongolia while in those parts.
Last time I rode through you country I didn't have time, or the language skills, to
get to know the Land and it's People.

MAX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode