Sargent Saddle - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2009, 7:23 am Thread Starter

Sargent Saddle

I'm sure the whole saddle thing has been beaten to death , but I'm considering a Sargent Saddle. Having not seen one other than pics, I'd like an opinion (I know,I know) because the saddle shape looks about the same as stock , what has your experience been with Sargent?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2009, 10:37 am
Rookie

Hi
i've got a sargeant seat for my K1200 GT at first i thought it was better but not by that much.I have done about 9,000 miles on the Sargeant seat. But of last week i have replaced the original units. The reason for this action is that i felt the seat was uncomfatable and no better than the stock seat [from memory]. I've yet to do a reasonable amount of miles on the original to give a definative answer to the comfort issue. We purchased for our last big journey in March [ 3,000 miles ] , a pair of Air hawk pads and these were magnicent no problems whats so ever. Far cheaper , we can take them of for relativly small journeys and the cost was minute compared to the replacement seat units. So yes i do regret purchasing my Sargeant seats.

Safe Riding
Tim

K1200 GT SE
Dark Graphite Metalic
Slate Grey side panels
Small Top Box
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2009, 1:31 pm
IBR# 366

If you go to the main K12/1300GT (Next Gen) forum page, you'll see a Search this Forum link on the right just above the thread listing. Click on it, and type in Sargent and you'll get lots of results.

Here's what I wrote in response to a similar question as an example:

You can buy an off-the-shelf replacement saddle from Sargent or Corbin, but they both go with a one-size-fits-all approach and simply use a much harder, flatter shape that works for some folks but not others.

But if you really want to be comfortable and completely eliminate squirming around on long rides, then you should look at having the seat redone by a proper saddle maker.

The top guys by reputation, longevity, and comfort seem to be Bill (Rocky) Mayer in Ojai, CA, Rick Mayer in Anderson, CA, Russell in Shasta Lake, CA, and Rich's in Kingston, WA. I'm not sure why they all seem to be on the west coast though.

I've had great luck with my Rocky Mayer and have put 95K miles on it in 28 months. If you are larger and heavier (240 and above) I'd probably recommend Russell. They have an internal spring system that helps distribute the weight better for larger riders. Plus they offer a built-in driver's back rest option if that's something you're interested in. Another choice for a back rest is Bakup which works with any seat, and is what I have.

If you can do a ride-in appointment that's preferred, but these guys do 80-90% of their business through the mail. Occasionally you have to send it back for a rework after putting a few thousand miles on it, but that's a minority of cases. But a ride-in is a great excuse to get to ride some awesome new roads.

Some folks will claim to have good luck using beads, sheepskin, or an Airhawk, but those are cheap, temporary solutions that are simply stuck on top of the seat. That's like claiming the original Concours is just the same as a GT because it also happens to have bags and a windshield.

Getting a proper custom saddle isn't cheap, but then again, neither is a BMW. So it's up to the individual whether spending the money is worth it or not. For me, it definitely was.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 2009, 5:59 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by svk1200s
I'm sure the whole saddle thing has been beaten to death , but I'm considering a Sargent Saddle. Having not seen one other than pics, I'd like an opinion (I know,I know) because the saddle shape looks about the same as stock , what has your experience been with Sargent?
Scot,
I'm in Yorktown, VA and I have a Sargent seat on my 07 KS. Maybe we can hook up this weekend and you can try it on your bike. I didn't mind the stock seat, but the Sargent is more comfortable and I have a backrest for my wife when she rides. I had a Corbin on my Duc, but I didn't care for it because it was harder than rocks and didn't really look that good.
Send me a PM if interested.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2009, 8:56 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the input . I did buy an Airhawk that I've used on several bikes, but I'd like to find a saddle that I don't need to use the Airhawk with . I wonder why all the custom guys seem to be on the left coast?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2009, 10:49 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by svk1200s
Thanks for the input . I did buy an Airhawk that I've used on several bikes, but I'd like to find a saddle that I don't need to use the Airhawk with . I wonder why all the custom guys seem to be on the left coast?
It's a family thing. Russell (aka "Day-Long") was dad of the other two Rocky and Rick Mayer who weren't into pop's operation as much as they should have been back then. Only later did they discover pop was right, but by then the patent and business had been sold to another.

...as I recall. Glad to hear the new (2nd time from the original) owners are carrying along the tradition.

Yep. The Air-Hawk is a Band-Aid for a lousy seat. Buddy had 3 on a Honda ST and first two leaked around the stem. They replaced the first two, but told him "Too bad" on the third.

Mack
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2009, 11:16 am
Enthusiast

We have a Russell (Day-Long) group buy starting November 2nd. Let me know if you are interested. 20% discount with 50 participants and we're very close to 50 already.

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 2009, 5:57 pm

Sheepskin?

What about just using a sheepskin? After my last ride I'm going to have one made because a new seat is prohibitively expensive and I've had great results using a sheepskin in other applications.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode