Steering damper or new windscreen? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 10:54 am Thread Starter

Steering damper or new windscreen?

My 09 KGT has an AeroFlow windscreen - which I REALLY like. But there is a disconcerting, slight 'wiggle' in the handle bars on the hiway caused by wind buffeting.... So my question is: Is the KGT suspension just not engineered to handle all the deflection created by an Aeroflow? Would a steering damper help quiet the play I feel? Or should I look for a small (get used to less protection) wind screen?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 11:43 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodsonb
My 09 KGT has an AeroFlow windscreen - which I REALLY like. But there is a disconcerting, slight 'wiggle' in the handle bars on the hiway caused by wind buffeting.... So my question is: Is the KGT suspension just not engineered to handle all the deflection created by an Aeroflow? Would a steering damper help quiet the play I feel? Or should I look for a small (get used to less protection) wind screen?
First, your bike has a steering dampner-yes-its there, just not very visible. Wiggle?-what is ment my wiggle? Wiggle could be caused my a variety of reasons, perhaps the screen-I have a CB +3+3- for many years-no issues. Checked front tire pressure lately?

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2009, 9:27 pm
Addict

I have the aeroflow and also the add on side deflectors. At first I didn't like the extra buffetting, especially when passing 18 wheelers. Now I am used to it and love the xtra protection. Check your tire pressure, check your suspension setting (if adjustable) and ride on.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2009, 11:03 am Thread Starter

wiggle:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorritt
First, your bike has a steering dampner-yes-its there, just not very visible. Wiggle?-what is ment my wiggle? Wiggle could be caused my a variety of reasons, perhaps the screen-I have a CB +3+3- for many years-no issues. Checked front tire pressure lately?
The front tire pressure - I've found running the tires harder than the what bmw says is better. How about you? I'm at about 3 bars (whatever that is in psi I'm not sure.)

By Wiggle I mean that because the wind deflected by the windscreen pushes the bike off track, I'm constantly making micro steering adjustments.

I haven't ridden that many other bikes - but I did test out a Harley Road Glide lately and it just drove in the direction it was pointed - my bike (I figure) should do the same - and hopefully much better....
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2009, 11:07 am Thread Starter

tire pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick
I have the aeroflow and also the add on side deflectors. At first I didn't like the extra buffetting, especially when passing 18 wheelers. Now I am used to it and love the xtra protection. Check your tire pressure, check your suspension setting (if adjustable) and ride on.
I, too, like the protection but think the buffetting that is no longer reaching me is now buffetting the bike... Especially in strong cross winds.

I'm very comfortable behind it - at any speed - but in windy conditions I find that the bike needs to be steered ALL the time. It doesn't seem to want to track very well on the straight aways... What's it like for you?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2009, 1:33 pm
Addict

Quote:
The front tire pressure - I've found running the tires harder than the what bmw says is better. How about you? I'm at about 3 bars (whatever that is in psi I'm not sure.)

By Wiggle I mean that because the wind deflected by the windscreen pushes the bike off track, I'm constantly making micro steering adjustments.

I haven't ridden that many other bikes - but I did test out a Harley Road Glide lately and it just drove in the direction it was pointed - my bike (I figure) should do the same - and hopefully much better....
Humm-3bars_not sure what that equates to either but on all the brands I have gone thru-presently new Dunlop RoadSmart, run 37f and 42r. Not to sound condescending, but how long have u been riding? Micro adjustments are part of everyday riding. Faster u go-the more wind u are pushing-especially with a big screen. When riding a sport bike like my Duc-low mini screen-really just part of the front cowl-must less wind effect. I would suggest to ride with another guy on a similar GT style bike with a good sized screen and compare notes. I think u will see its just part of riding the beast.
As for riding a big HD-i know what u mean. Owned an older UltraGlide for many years-reliable as an anvil. She was really steady on the road up to 70-+ mph. Anything over 80 and she would shake her head-literally-and say-no way brother, slow down or I will kick u off.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2009, 1:38 pm Thread Starter

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmorritt
Humm-3bars_not sure what that equates to either but on all the brands I have gone thru-presently new Dunlop RoadSmart, run 37f and 42r. Not to sound condescending, but how long have u been riding? Micro adjustments are part of everyday riding. Faster u go-the more wind u are pushing-especially with a big screen. When riding a sport bike like my Duc-low mini screen-really just part of the front cowl-must less wind effect. I would suggest to ride with another guy on a similar GT style bike with a good sized screen and compare notes. I think u will see its just part of riding the beast.
As for riding a big HD-i know what u mean. Owned an older UltraGlide for many years-reliable as an anvil. She was really steady on the road up to 70-+ mph. Anything over 80 and she would shake her head-literally-and say-no way brother, slow down or I will kick u off.
No offense taken :-) I appreciate your suggestions. I think I'll play with a couple of windscreens and ask a technician about the steering damper, too.

Everytime I try another make/model/brand, no matter what it is - I climb back on to this KGT and like it more :-) I'm sure that I'll be able to continue to tweak it to perfection.

Cheers,

Brian
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2009, 1:44 pm

1 answer and 1 Question

Answer 3 Bar = 43.5 PSI

Question - where is the steering damper located?

2009 KGT1300 Apple Red (mine)
2008 RT Biarritz Blue (mine - sold)
2005 ST Piedmont Red/Light Magnesium (hers)
Luis Roth
BMWMOA #143775 IBA# 35651
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2009, 6:34 pm
Addict

Yea, lookedit up. 3bars or 43psi-is way too hard-least in my estimation. Try 37psi in front and see how she tracks. Steering damper-pull the handle bars all way to right-look down from the top left side of that small black nipple just below and aft of the bars-btwn the the front of tank and center of bar mount. Use a flashlight and u will see the slide and just the left side of the damper. Can take a pic if u still dont see it.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2009, 9:34 pm
Addict

Quote:
I, too, like the protection but think the buffetting that is no longer reaching me is now buffetting the bike... Especially in strong cross winds.

I'm very comfortable behind it - at any speed - but in windy conditions I find that the bike needs to be steered ALL the time. It doesn't seem to want to track very well on the straight aways... What's it like for you?

I have to agree that the bike at speed in windy conditions is NOT as stable as without the Aeroflow. Maybe more frontal and side area causes it. In all I like the trade off as the noise and bufetting with the stock tall was misery with any helmet I tried.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode