What a brilliant start to 1300GT ownership. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 11:47 am Thread Starter

What a brilliant start to 1300GT ownership.

I now have a 2 day old K1300GT, and I'd like to make a few observations:

Dealer (Park Lane Bmw,London) says It's brand new so run it in at no more than 5K. 5K equates to horrific vibration through the seat. I've just done 300 miles on it and am wondering if the vibration issue is the same across the board, or whether I may just have got a bad one. It's brand new by the way,so wont be getting anyone telling me I shouldnt have bought an ex demo bike as it ISN'T. The seat is horrendously uncomfortable after anything more than about 60 miles. Anyone care to comment????

Vibration issues pale into insignificance compared to the fuel consumption, which measured over a long motorway journey has been worked out by myself, working from a full tank to empty at, wait for it.......................... DEEP BREATH.............. 17.5 MPG (UK Gallons).
All this bearing in mind that I am not supposed to exceed 5000RPM for the first 600 miles, which of course I intend to stick to.....

Finally, I'm only 5ft 9" tall, but i find even with the screen set at its absolute highest, I find I still get buffetting off the top of my Lid.

I try and stay balanced so the above is all the bad points, and from here on is what I like about it. I like the fact that it belies it size and still feels quite agile considering the weight, and am surprised how far you actually can lean it over,except on mine I'm not doing that yet as the tyres still need to be scrubbed in. I've discovered that the horn is loud enough to wake up stupid drivers falling asleep at the wheel. I love the way it looks too and if any or all of the things i've mentioned above could be fixed I'd be completely happy............. Oh yes andf the really quite extravagant cost of a 600 mile initial service, which in essence im led to believe is nothing more complicated than a walk round the bike,and make sure nothing has fallen off. (£UK150.. Someones making some easy money and it isnt me!!!!!!!. I've also noticed how incredibly thin the paint on the panniers is. Ive done nothing more than casually scuff a boot across one of the panniers while getting on it or off it,but its scratched and I dont see how i would get rid of it without going and getting it repainted....

Last edited by mark2jag; Aug 3rd, 2009 at 11:50 am. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 11:56 am
Noob

New 1300GT

Hey there...

congratulations on the new K1300GT! I got mine about 2 weeks ago, and it's already going in for the 600mil (1000KM) service! Here's a few things I've noticed:

As for the break-in period and what the dealer said....read the manual. My dealer told me 4000rpm for the first 600 miles (that's less than highway speed limits over here). When I read the manual, it said keep it under 7000rpm (which has been very painless). The important thing to remember is to alter the engine speeds and loads as much as possible.

As for MPG, I've been averaging about 40 US MPG overall...which for this size of bike seems about right. I've also been getting about 200 miles (320KM) on about 3/4 of the tank running super (91 octaine over here).

I also have the "Large BMW) windshield on my bike and I'm 6'0" tall. with the shield all the way up, it doesn't create any buffeting for me. One thing to try is to see if your seat is in the "upper" or lower" position and try it in the other notch as this will change the relationship of the windshield by about an inch. If you're thinking about changing the windshield, this may be an easy to "test a different shield" without actually buying one.

Now it's off to Yosemite National Park in two weeks for a day-ride...

post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 12:26 pm
IBR# 366

Hi Mark, and welcome. I know all about that London traffic on a bike. My wife would simply close her eyes because as she put it "I trust you, but I don't need to see it."

BMW is notorious for poor seats and windscreens. My K12GT had an aftermarket windscreen fitted before it left the dealer (the factory screen is still in the factory wrapping). Note that there are "Standard" and "Tall" factory screens so you might want to check which one you have. A Standard measures 21.25" and a Tall measures 24.75". But an aftermarket screen is much better still. And I've pretty much tried them all over the last 95K miles. Check this thread, specifically post #9 for my recommendations.

As for the seat, again mine got reworked the first day I had the bike. I had a custom seat made by one of the top US seat makers, Bill (Rocky) Mayer. There aren't many UK/European seat makers that I know of, but you might want to look at a replacement seat from Sargent or Bagster, both of whom have UK distributors. I don't know much about Bagster, but Sargent offers a low seat option that can be very helpful for some riders.

The 600-mile service is an engine and final drive oil change, plus checking the bike over and reading any fault codes on their computer. Yes, it seems pricey, but it is a BMW, after all. Some guys do their own basic service. I let the dealer do mine through warranty, but I do it all myself now.

I also found a local car shop that does the Clear Bra paint protection and had them do my whole bike. It was pricey too, but worth it overall.

The excessive vibration is a puzzler, although it's hard to define "excessive" over the internet. These bikes are normally very smooth from the start, but there is a break-in period and it will get better as you get 5-10K miles on it. But your mileage is worrisome. I got between 28-34 (US) mpg for the first thousand miles or so, before it settled in at closer to 40 mpg. I have heard of one or two K13's that have had engine issues from the start although it's very rare. I'd suggest you see if Park Lane or another dealer has a low-mileage demo bike that you can start up and maybe even ride to compare.

I'd also keep a real close eye on oil consumption, just in case. It shouldn't use any appreciable amount, even during the break-in period.

Otherwise, the GT is an awesome bike. Its power, agility, comfort, and overall package is simply unmatched by its competition. It'll corner with the sport bikes, and just as easily take you to the Continent so you can play with them, too.

So your best bet is to get out there and put some more miles on it. Take time to bond with the bike, change those things that bug you, and if it breaks, take it back and make them sort it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 12:55 pm

Mark - welcome.

I got my GT about 3 weeks ago and went thru the 600 mile service.

I for one like the seat - but that is a personal perspecitve, i tolerated the seat on the RT - this one is exactly how i want it.

As for vibration I got a feel in the peg at 5K but don't ride at that if it is that bad have the dealer check it out

6th at 4000-4500 is pefect - need to look at the tach to make sure the thing is on!!

Windscreen for me is fine no issues

Milage - i get about 40-42, trying to get it higher but that is directly popostion to the throttle and sometimes that has a higher priority.

Hope you get your issues sorted out - this is an awesome ride!

2009 KGT1300 Apple Red (mine)
2008 RT Biarritz Blue (mine - sold)
2005 ST Piedmont Red/Light Magnesium (hers)
Luis Roth
BMWMOA #143775 IBA# 35651
post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 1:59 pm
Veteran

Just to play devils advocate, cause it's in my nature.....

Why the hell did you buy the bike in the first place if there were so many things wrong with it? Did you not take it for a test ride? The first thing you do is buy it, come on here, then bitch about it?

Are you incredibly wealthy? It's an awful expensive toy not to do some simple research first that could have shown you any potential "problems".

Just sayin'......

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 3:22 pm
Addict

I think something may be wrong. That mileage is very low even for heavy traffic and if you are feeling any level of vibration that could be called 'horrific' (at low rpm no less) then that would seem to represent a problem as well. I'd let the dealer take a look, if things are as bad as you say they should instantly recognize it.

But the stock seat is terrible so at least that seems to be working right...
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 4:41 pm
Rookie

Forum

Gee Robert - give the guy a break. I drove my bike 50 miles before I bought it but not long enough to know the stock seat was the worst seat ever put on a motorcycle. Even after three years Iím still trying to resolve aspects I donít like.
Mark - this is a great forum for resolving your issues. Iím not fortunate enough to have the new K1300GT but Iíve found if I have a problem there someone on this forum that has had the same problem and many times offer suggestions to fix it.
Find a good mechanic by talking to other K bike owners in your area. I bet they can fix your vibration problem.
Hal
post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 5:13 pm
IBR# 366

And to return the devil's advocate thing, when folks do come on here and their first post says "I just bought this new bike and its awesome and I love it and it's so fast and I can't stop grinning isn't it the most awesome bike ever!" the first thing we do is hassle them about buying the slow color.

It's all in good fun, and while I might agree the original poster could have started off a little more positive, in the end he's gotten good info and hopefully will become another valued member of our little group.

Besides, most of the riders here end up bitching about seats and windshields eventually anyway . . .

So no harm, no foul.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Aug 3rd, 2009 at 5:18 pm.
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 6:06 pm
Would rather be riding

I agree something's wrong, take it back to the dealer and have them look at it.

It's hard to remember back to my break in, but I don't recall noticing any vibration, and if there was one I don't remember it going away. It's a little buzzy around 5K, sure, but that's it.

I'm sure the break-in RPM limit is higher than 4K or even 5K rpm, check the manual on that. 4K you're barely getting into the power range. I'm not sure I exactly respected the break-in limits on mine though, and 22K miles later the engine is running fine.

IMHO the MPG is worrisome too, I'm getting low 40s routinely and I don't baby mine at all. (I just got a new F800GS and the MPG readout on the computer was all wonky when I rode it home, might have some weird default values in there or something. I had to reset it and then ride through my first tank before it started making sense.) Re-read your post and you've measured it yourself, so it's not that.

Personally I like the factory windscreen. I did switch from the short to the tall version (I'm 6'2"). With the windscreen full down my whole helmet and a bit of my shoulders are out in the relatively clear air, not protected by the windshield at all. I actually like that setting best, it's the quietest and least turbulent. At fast highway speeds I put it up just a bit to get my shoulders some protection. I pretty much only put it all the way up if it's raining or if there are a lot of bugs out. In the full up position there's a good flow downward over my faceshield (wipes the raindrops off) and yeah, a bit of buffeting. I don't think I'm at all normal in this regard, seems like almost everyone else has opted for a bigger windshield. I did try a taller and wider cee bailey shield when I first got the bike, and while it did offer more wind protection I also felt a lot more buffeting and heard a lot more noise -- even with that shield all the way down my head wasn't out in the clear air.

Last edited by bonafidebob; Aug 3rd, 2009 at 6:12 pm.
post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 7:06 pm Thread Starter

Robert does have a point but.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
Just to play devils advocate, cause it's in my nature.....

Why the hell did you buy the bike in the first place if there were so many things wrong with it? Did you not take it for a test ride? The first thing you do is buy it, come on here, then bitch about it?

Are you incredibly wealthy? It's an awful expensive toy not to do some simple research first that could have shown you any potential "problems".

Just sayin'......
Thank you for the response Robert, and yes you are quite right and yes i did do my research and yes i did get a test ride and yes i did like it and yes you are completely entitled to your opinion and yes I too would like to have your obvious psychic powers to be able to ascertain what was gonna be wrong with it BEFORE I bought it??? Getting the picture yet??? OH good I'm sooo glad, lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode