Who has the worst BMW K1300GT owners story so far? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2009, 7:14 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Who has the worst BMW K1300GT owners story so far?

I am curious to see if anyone can beat my K1300GT owners experience so far:

Purchased bike. At about 200 miles, right hand switch goes bad leaving me stranded. Had a tow guy come and tow it to Tallahassee and I had to get a friend to pick me up. Switch of course wasn't in stock. Had to wait a week or so. I had to drive down and trailer the bike back, around 300 miles round trip. No inconvenience there, I love spending my weekends trailering things around.

I told them to replace the left hand switch at the same time as of course it is going to fail. They wouldn't do it because of BMW "policy". I guess it's better to let known faulty items really screw the owner before actually replacing it outright. That's how you retain customers, right?

Around ~400 miles Engine starts stalling randomly. Drive it 300 miles round trip to have that looked at and the 600 mile service completed. They also did the foam brake reservoir recall. On the way home in the pouring rain, bike stalls constantly in traffic. At one busy intersection in particular, bike stalls on 1-2 up shift. Bike wouldn't restart right away and it was sputtering with oncoming traffic with super low visibility. Almost had to ditch the bike.

Bike stalls constantly now between up and down shifts, doesn't matter. Engine still struggles to restart within 5-seconds sometimes. Just as I am losing hope in BMW on the ride home today from work, the left turn signal ceases to function. So now I get the BMW privilege of riding another ~300 miles round trip after waiting a week for a part to get that switch replaced. Mind you, a switch that should have been replaced in the first place when the other one failed. Not to mention I need to do it all again when BMW decides to fix the small issue of bikes stalling left and right causing people to crash.

I think the only problem I haven't had is the fuel gauge low level to stop functioning and maybe a wheel falling off. I wouldn't expect half these issues on a $3,000 scooter let alone BMW's expensive top sport touring bike. So with these issues in the first 800 miles, my true worry is what is going to happen to this bike after the three year warranty ends?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2009, 7:18 pm
Addict-oholic

I feel bad for you, but mine is running almost perfectly and I am enjoying it much more than my 2006

Hopefully, your issues should be straightened out soon...

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2009, 7:59 pm
Enthusiast

Hi Vega - sorry for your troubles, but don't let it get to you or it will spoil your bike experience, if it hasn't already done so.

I am sure you will sort things out before you know it and will enjoy the bike for many miles/years.

My K12GT had a few bugs, but I was patient and got them sorted and really enjoy the bike.

Best of luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2009, 8:15 pm
Addict

Ouch looks like you have every know 1300 series problem. The switch gear did not surprise me since it's new this year. The recall for foaming brake fluid is easily remedied, in fact they have the fix. What is curious is the continued fueling and now more pronounced stalling issues. BMW finally recognized they did not have the ability to straighten out the fueling issues, so they went outside the Italian firm Ricardo. Ricardo reworked the entire upper end and re-mapped the fueling. When the 1300' s came out they were heralded as the solution to the 1200 fueling issues. I have read over and over how all the problems were solved, and fueling was smooth as silk. Apparently we are finding out thats not the case. I wouldn't worry about any of the other issues, since BMW has known fixes, concentrate on documenting the stalling with the dealer, and if I had to venture a guess BMW will come up with a fix of sorts, and do a voluntary recall. Until then keep the faith it's really a great bike when its working 100%.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2009, 10:01 pm
KKM

Whoever owes the most MONEY on his GT has the worst one.

[2003 K1200GT Sold
[2006 KTM525 EXC
[2008 K1200GT
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2009, 11:09 pm

I think you're approaching lemon territory...flip it back to them and get another freshie.

Un-used mirror hole mounting posts AVAILABLE

Check it out here!

Last edited by PerfectSwitch; Aug 6th, 2009 at 11:31 pm.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2009, 10:04 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM
Whoever owes the most MONEY on his GT has the worst one.
So true.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2009, 8:34 pm
Enthusiast

My story isn't as bad, but at this point my wife and I wish we had kept our old r1100rt. Two weeks ago we traded it for a demo 2009 K1300GT. We really wanted a new RT, but the latest style was more cramped 2 up than our old one for some reason (we are both not small people). The GT definitely has more room, but it took 2 sets of Suburban Machine peg lowerers and a bar raiser to get it reasonably close to the RT's excellent for us riding position.

But the real problem has been with repeated trips back to the dealer, which is 75 mile away. This has been primarily due to an ESA switch which has been ordered twice and is the wrong model. In the meantime, ESA is in some kind of default setting which is uncomfortable 2 up. Also, we have had 5 of the engine stall episodes and the dealer is clueless what to do about it (admits he experienced it on his demo K1300S.)

The other issue is the 49L trunk. It's angle is wrong for my wife to use as a backrest. Unlike the RT's factory trunk, this one has no lumbar support and the padding hits her at shoulder level pushing her forward. We temporarily removed the pad, which helps a little, but it still is not correct (plus it is ugly). I guess I am going to spend more money and buy a bakup backrest and give up the storage space of the big trunk. Plus, for almost $1000, couldn't they have color matched the box (or at least made it all black?)

Coming from an RT, I've had a tough time shifting and clutching this one smoothly, but this has improved with practice. I still like the growl of the old boxer better but 160 hp does have advantages.

Anyway, these are my thoughts at this time. I've been enjoying lurking on here and hope to participate more in the future.

Rob M.
2009 K1300GT
2006 HD VRSCR (Street Rod)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 2009, 2:24 pm

+ 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
I feel bad for you, but mine is running almost perfectly and I am enjoying it much more than my 2006

Hopefully, your issues should be straightened out soon...
+1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode