BMW gel battery charger & K1200GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2009, 12:35 pm Thread Starter

BMW gel battery charger & K1200GT

Hello,
I recently purchased a used BMW battery charger (model 71 60 7 688 865) for my 2007 K1200GT. I've notice it will not charge the battery unless I cycle the ignition key. None of the charge "definition" lights come on until the key is cycled. The charger appears to charge to the green 3/3 reading; however, turns off after that. I have never seen the charge definition light come on after that (although the power light in the lower left hand corner always remains on). It there something wrong with the charger or is it the accessory plug?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Chad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2009, 1:30 pm
Enthusiast

There is a sequence to the charger. I think you have to turn on the key, plug in the charger to the accessory port, plug in the charger to 110V, and then turn off the key. Handy, huh. Give that a try.

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2009, 2:02 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Leave it to the Germans to make it more complicated then it needs to be.

Will this keep it in a floating charge mode?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2009, 2:12 pm
Enthusiast

From what my dealer say, yes. I leave mine plugged in when I'm not riding - sometimes for days at a time.

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2009, 2:26 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the info!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Addict-oholic

And in float mode, yopu may not see anything happening until the battery needs some charging and then the sequence starts all over again, all unattended

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2009, 6:22 pm

I also have a 2007 GT and the same high cost CANBUS friendly charger. When I shut my bike down and plug in the charger it just works. No fiddling with the ignition in arcane sequences or any such thing. This subject has been covered numerous times, and from reading previous posts it appears that most owners have the same experience.....shut down, plug in, walk away. That's probably the way that the BMW engineers designed it to work. Yet a number of owners claim that they have to do these key turning tricks to make it work. I don't have any answers at all but I find it interesting, and I would suspect that if it takes some voodoo to make the unit function as advertised there's likely something wrong someplace.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2009, 8:15 pm
Enthusiast

Don't know Don - that was what the dealer told me when I bought it. Have since installed an accessory outlet wired to my Fuzeblock and plug it in and walk away. I know mine would not work unless I did the goofy sequence. Never tried burning chicken feet, but that might have worked too.

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2009, 3:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH
Yet a number of owners claim that they have to do these key turning tricks to make it work. I don't have any answers at all but I find it interesting, and I would suspect that if it takes some voodoo to make the unit function as advertised there's likely something wrong someplace.
I believe I heard as long as you plug the unit in during the 30 second relay shutdown period you'll be fine, if you take longer then that then you need to boot the bike up again to plug it in.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2009, 1:00 am

I'm not sure that's the answer either. By the time I open the garage door, roll the bike in, take my gear off and hang it up, a good five mintues will likely pass. And the charger just works when I plug it in after that time. Even If I haven't run the bike for a week I can still go out into the garage, touch nothing else, plug the charger in and it works. As I said previously, I don't have any answers but it is interesting that people have such varied experiences with this thing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode