Opinion?- Died twice while starting - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2009, 5:31 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Opinion?- Died twice while starting

Folks-

Just need an opinion here. Haven't had the time to get the '06 GT out for about 3 weeks (yes, that sucks). I had it on my AGM Battery Tender the whole time. I hop on it, crank it up which seemed perfectly normal. Put it in gear, wham! it died. Zumo was running fine. Started it up, seemed normal cranking power, put it in gear, died. I noticed the LCD coming on and off a couple times like the power switch was being moved.

Of course I haven't had time to troubleshoot further, It "seems" like it has plenty of power to start- could it be a dead or dying battery?

Thanks-

B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2009, 8:19 pm
Enthusiast

Not trying to be a wise ass, but did you have the side stand down? If it is, you cannot put it in gear without the bike dying. Just a thought.

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2009, 8:37 pm Thread Starter
Addict

No, I didn't have the side stand down.

I just looked at it and on the center stand, and:

1. I put the on-off switch to on.
2. Turn on the ignition.
3. The bike goes through the tests as normal and waits for the starter button.
4. If I turn the handlebars the SLIGHTEST way to the left, the power goes off.
5. If I turn the handlebars back to center, the pwer comes back on as if I just powered the bike up.
6. This can be repeated over and over.

Is this the ESM or the ignition switch/wiring going bad?

I can just imagine this happpenin on the freeway. Jesus,

Thanks-

D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2009, 8:43 pm
Enthusiast

It seemed like someone else had the same problem and it was a loose connection? I'm trying to remember the post, but that's kind of what I remember. Hope you didn't take offense to my first post.

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2009, 9:38 pm
Veteran

I had a connection problem on my bike. Not exactly like this, but something to check. Check the connectors under the ignition switch, there are 2. The bigger of the 2 would be the bet, the smaller one is for the DAS antenna ring. Either give the larger one a small tug to see if it's barely connected, OR give it a push up to see if it clears up.
Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2009, 9:53 pm
Veteran

Yes, hopefully an easy connector fix...or this sounds suspiciously like the old zip-tie too tight thing. I've read this here too. It's always on a left turn. Check that whole set of wires on the left side. They can get pinched and wear after a while. Especially if you park the bike with key locked and all the way to the left. Check any really tight zip-ties too and replace them. Some of the wires in this Canbus system are stupidly narrow in gauge and they will wear under the protective sheath.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2009, 12:42 am
Noob

Similar issue on my F800

I had a similar issue on my F800 and it seemed to be the kill switch getting really sensitive. I asked the tech about it at my localndealer, he said not to use the kill switch when turning it off but to use the key. Once I started using the key to turn it off, the problem stopped.

I know, this is counter intuitive to every MSW class, but it semed to work.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2009, 1:21 am
Telepathetic

There have been several incidents of '06 GT's having a bad ignition wire. Mine was one of them. At first it would start but would die as the handle bars would move, breaking the connection. I had the bike towed to the dealer and they found it. The mechanic said it was such a clean break they thought it had been cut. Good luck and I hope it is something simple and cheap.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2009, 8:07 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Hey folks-

Got a bonafide issue on my hands now. I can't get the 06 to power up now at all. It's gone from powering up and starting with the handlebars straight and being able to kill all power by touching the handlbars to the left, to not being able to power it up at all. I'm wiggling as many wires as I can grab, and the battery has 12.9 volts which ought to at least light the dash.

Any help right now would be great.

Thanks.

B.

PS- I have since connected the charger to battery and it thinks it has a full charge after about 15 minutes. I'm suspecting a dead ignition switch.

If it is the ignition switch, I see Max BMW listes them for $73.00, That's great but then it needs programmed to work, right?

Last edited by Brahma; Aug 17th, 2009 at 8:50 pm.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2009, 9:52 pm
Noob

Wiring is most likely

Examine the wiring to the ignition. Note the lowest connector and slide back the rubber protective shield and check the wires. I think the colors are orange and black. The connector can be easily unplugged by releasing the catch and pulling down. No need to remove any plastics. You'll need to strip back the broken wire and solder it back together. You might need the help of an electronics guru to assist. There is a problem with the routing of the wire and that creates strain. Reroute wires to eliminate stress.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode