Just Wandering and wondering - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2009, 6:24 pm Thread Starter

Just Wandering and wondering

Just got back from a 4000mile trip, fully loaded with gear and wife. The bike worked flawlessly. But Now i'm wondering has anyone seen a mini trailer and a hitch on a single swing arm?? has anyone done this?. my nest trip will be next year to Newfoundland and I'll need more stuff. Thanks Mike. Love the 07 1200GT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2009, 9:10 pm
Addict

Pistolet Bay Provincial Park is a must see in Newfoundland, especially if your camping, but gauranteed you will be visited in the night by Moose so be careful with food.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Newfoundland Motorcycle Trip 7-26-08 172.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	610.9 KB
ID:	10842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Newfoundland Motorcycle Trip 7-26-08 196.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	750.0 KB
ID:	10843   Click image for larger version

Name:	Newfoundland Motorcycle Trip 7-26-08 164.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	722.4 KB
ID:	10844  

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2009, 9:32 pm
Noob

Mikemac,

try this link...pretty cool unit...lots of LT owners use em....

http://www.uni-go-trailers.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2009, 10:40 pm

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2009, 9:25 am

Oh Boy...

Hey Mikemack,

I am going through the same exercise here in Europe, except the Authorities here are somewhat more anal about towbar ratings and stuff about dynamic testing etc etc.

Anyway, I have looked high and low for photos of a 1200GT SE with a towbar or hitch fitted, but have not found any. I have a supplier in Holland telling me he has them in stock, but no photos of it mounted on the GT. There is one for the LT, and I have to say it looks god-awful. The Dauntless hitch looks ok, but expensive.

Now having said that, there is a new mono wheel development in England. Check it out here but alas they have not yet developed a hitch for the GT. From what I hear, it seems to be a problem to get an approval from the Manufacturer (BMW) that it is ok to bolt on a hitch. From what I can gather, basically has nothing to do with safety, it is all about Liability if it all goes wrong. And since it seems that BMW has still not sorted the FD issue, I can't for 1 minute imagine that they will willingly sign off on something that will create added stress to the FD, i.e. pulling 150-250kgs.

Here is another resource and discussion.

Here is a guy that calls a spade a spade, but a lot of info. There was another dude on some other website (can't find it anymore) that basically was saying that if he doesn't stock it, it ain't made, and it never will be, so don't bother to ring me if it ain't listed.

Anyway, this is the trailer I am looking at, because it will also fit nicely behind my Smart.

Hope this helps.

Bloke

Last edited by BigBloke; Aug 18th, 2009 at 9:42 am. Reason: Added Link
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2009, 2:42 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Guys

Hey Guys thanks for the reply, but I think these hitches put the weight on the suspension, the sprung part, and I would lie to put the weight on the unsprung . I think that most m/c trailors go on the swing arm and that in unsprung. I think. Do I make any sense or am I just wantering. Thanks guys. You know the only hing I like more that this site is the GT itself. Take care all , keep the shinny side up. Mike from Canada ,eh hoser

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode