Verholen bar risers for 1300GT, will they work? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2009, 9:06 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Verholen bar risers for 1300GT, will they work?

Has anyone installed the Verholen bar risers on a 1300 yet? The Pirates Lair site says the brake cable isn't a problem, but I'm looking for confirmation from the field. Suburban Machinery reports theirs won't work with the 1300 (brake cable too short). If that's true, why would the Verholens work? When I bought the bike I had the dealer install a couple of things (part of the deal), he wouldn't do the risers.

Next, if they will work, are they stupid simple to install?

Thanks.

Tom
1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 2009, 9:38 pm
Noob

i have of the sub mach risers made for the K1300. they are on the bottom of the page that the K1200 is listed on. they do fit, the clutch cable is a little short- they give you something to wrap the cable in so it does not scratch the finish. the length is only a problem when you are turning the bars to lock. it will make the full turn, the cable just rides on top of the flat area of the bars.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2009, 6:28 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Edit: I just ordered a set. Thanks again!

Tom
1300GT

Last edited by 3Putt; Aug 18th, 2009 at 6:41 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2009, 9:06 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Putt
Has anyone installed the Verholen bar risers on a 1300 yet? The Pirates Lair site says the brake cable isn't a problem, but I'm looking for confirmation from the field. Suburban Machinery reports theirs won't work with the 1300 (brake cable too short). If that's true, why would the Verholens work? When I bought the bike I had the dealer install a couple of things (part of the deal), he wouldn't do the risers.

Next, if they will work, are they stupid simple to install?

Thanks.
I just put the Suburbans on my K1300GT and they fit fine -- even with the bars fully raised. There are two models for the K13GT listed on Suburban Machines website -- one fits without modifications. The kit is very well-engineered and comes with a wrap for the brake line. Also, the instructions call for releasing and rebundling the cables and releasing the clip from the clutch cable. The installation took about 15 minutes and I am not the most mechanically skilled person. I bought them directly from Suburban and had them in two days. More reasonably priced than the other manufacturers.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2009, 12:32 am

I installed them on mine. Bit of a pain--don't loosen the bolt on the top side of the handle bar. Remove the plastic cover on the bottom side and remove the two nuts (on pretty tight) and then unscrew the bolts.

Not sure what the two little rubber washers are for. Let me know if you figure it out. Cables weren't a problem, although two of the cables on the right side don't fit in the little guide, I can't remember if they were there when I started.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 4:28 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Update: I installed the new SM risers made for the 13GT. Very easy to install and they put the bars in just the right spot for me. However, I did have two bolts left over (no kidding). They came with the kit, but I ran out of holes? Maybe I wasn't suppose to reuse the OEM bolts.

Tom
1300GT
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2009, 9:36 pm
Noob

Pics with you sitting on the bike holding the bars would be nice.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2009, 12:04 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Putt
Update: I installed the new SM risers made for the 13GT. Very easy to install and they put the bars in just the right spot for me. However, I did have two bolts left over (no kidding). They came with the kit, but I ran out of holes? Maybe I wasn't suppose to reuse the OEM bolts.
The instructions for the K1200GT SM risers tell you to reuse the OEM torx bolts, but maybe the extra bolts are for those people who want to switch out the torx bolts so that both pairs of bolts are allen (hex) type.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2009, 5:09 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

I don't think so. All 6 bolts involved (2 OEM and 4 in the kit) are the same size, T-35 (I think) torx. The OEM bolts might be a little longer. I'd check, but I don't want to pull them out to look Either way the risers are installed and very solid. After 200 miles I checked the torque and all are still holding tight at 20nm.

Tom
1300GT
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2009, 5:10 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingo
Pics with you sitting on the bike holding the bars would be nice.
I'll see what I can do.

Tom
1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode