Disaster.......bike fell unloading from trailer - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2009, 9:28 am Thread Starter
Noob

Disaster.......bike fell unloading from trailer

I have only loaded and unloaded my bikes from this trailer a thousand times, and this time I even had help.

After driving half of the day and half of the night we get to our destination and I have to unload the bike to get to a large bird cage, another story for a later time. I loosen my tie-downs just like I do every time I do this and somehow one of the tie-downs let go and over it goes onto the trailer. Bless my Sister-in-laws neighbors because they heard words at mid-night that should not have been uttered even during daylight hours. The bike fell to the inside of the trailer. We get the bike back up and off the trailer and evaluate the damage and I immediately realize my trip has just been ruined. But, luck was somewhat on my side, the bags were on the bike, only because there was no where to put them on our drive over, and they did not get hit, how I don't know.

The next day I take the bike to the local BMW motorcycle dealer (Seavers of Orange County) and order up the parts needed to fix this horrible mishap. They get the parts ordered and delivered the next day. $1200.00 later and few hours work and the bike was back to as good as new and our trip was not a total disaster. Thanks to Seavers BMW for their expediting of these parts so as not to totally ruin a great week riding in the Southern California sun.

If anyone is interested in a left side side panel and the headlight piece in an Aventurin Silver Metallic with just scratch damage let me know........

The trip ended up being very nice with a lot of beach riding........... Again thanks Seavers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2009, 10:18 am
Veteran

Just another reason why you are supposed to RIDE your bike from point A to B.

Hmmmm trailer......you didn't come off a Harley did you?

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2009, 10:40 am
Addict

If I trailered my bike it better be out of commission, or I will never hear the end of it from the guys I ride with. We have a pretty strick rule no trailers, and it seems for good reason your not the only guy to drop a bike off the trailer. I have seen it happen three times, always Harleys though. Best one was at Americade, it started to rain, and two guys wanted to get thier bikes into the trailer quickly. Well a full dresser went off the ramp, and it took 3 of us to help the guy pick that monster up. Had to be several thousand dollars worth of damage, and a ruined trip. They trailered it from Brooklyn no less, only 250 miles. Give me a break.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite

Last edited by 2008-K1200GT; Aug 18th, 2009 at 10:46 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2009, 10:44 am
Enthusiast

Garage
It was the large bird cage. he just couldn't find a secure way to bungee it onto the rack.

Otherwise he would have rode.

Maybe a trip to Southeast Asia to see the ways of securing things and people to bikes might have helped

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2009, 11:32 am Thread Starter
Noob

Unhappy

Okay, I guess I deserve the trailering rash of s__t, my head is held in shame but, I will say in defense, the BMW is 8 months old and I have 11,000+ miles and, I share that bike with another. My Son lives in LA and I do "RIDE" to see him on a regular basis, but...............this time I had to take my wife, Parrot, two dogs, cage, and perch we looked like the Clambets traveling across the desert. A little compassion a trip from hell and a banged up bike.........

Last edited by BMOTORCYCLE; Aug 18th, 2009 at 12:25 pm.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2009, 1:10 pm

How did a few scratches make the trip ruined? The bike ran, was fully functional right?

Now if the bike fell and crushed the parrot, that would be _________ (fill in the blank)

Terry

2007 K1200 GT
1998 R1100 RT traded in
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2009, 1:16 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOTORCYCLE
Okay, I guess I deserve the trailering rash of s__t, my head is held in shame but, I will say in defense, the BMW is 8 months old and I have 11,000+ miles and, I share that bike with another. My Son lives in LA and I do "RIDE" to see him on a regular basis, but...............this time I had to take my wife, Parrot, two dogs, cage, and perch we looked like the Clambets traveling across the desert. A little compassion a trip from hell and a banged up bike.........
Ok then I guess your off the trailering hook so to speak. The easiest solution is to launch the wife, f****** bird, and the rest of the farm you transport. Seriously, I hope you won't be out of pocket too much, the tupperware sure is expensive.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2009, 1:21 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Actually the riding was great as it always is in Southern California.. The bike ran just fine, and the body parts were there in two days and they look fine. Its just that a $1200.00 oops that should have never happened.

Last edited by BMOTORCYCLE; Aug 18th, 2009 at 1:26 pm.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2009, 6:39 pm
2 heads are better than 1

Just curious, if it was only cosmetic damage why didn't you just ride it scratched? You could have avoided pay all the expedite changes for overnight shipping and probably saved a couple hundred bucks. Or was there more than bodywork damaged?

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2009, 6:43 pm
Veteran

Save the panels and get them fixed and painted for the next tip-over. <damhik! >

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode