18K Maintenance - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 2009, 10:24 pm Thread Starter
Noob

18K Maintenance

I've searched this site for information about the 18K maintenance on my 2006 K12GT just purchased in March. I didn't find much, so I'm looking for the "Do it Yourselfers" that have experience. I just don't have much faith in my local BMW dealer for many reasons (which may all come out in this forum someday over the life of my membership).
I have a copy of the maintenance schedule, but I've also read a lot about the final drive lube which isn't mentioned at all. Does anyone have a complete checklist of what to do and what to use for the 18K maintenance? I was quoted $832 dollars and I know I can do it better and cheaper myself, not to mention learning about my bike.

Thanks in advance.

Rocky, 06 K1200GT "I wana RIDE"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2009, 12:37 am
Veteran

Unless it's showing other issues....

Change the oil, final drive oil, lube the spline, change the air filter, check your tires.....ride. For warranty issues you might want to check the valves too but since it's an '06 that really isn't an issue any more. If they aren't tapping your fine. These things almost never need adjustment.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2009, 4:45 am
Veteran

Only thing, on an older one (06 like yours) is to be aware of the brake fluid and coolant changes as well.
Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2009, 6:46 am
Veteran

I had the dealer perform this service primarily because of the brake and coolant service mentioned above (and the valve adjustment). The valves required no adjustment as predicted.

I would not hesitate to do some of this job myself, saving the brake fluid and coolant only for the dealer.

Skip the valve check. The BMW Motorrad Canadian Service Manager told me himself not to have the valves checked (I did anyway, foolish me). He also told me that they had not adjusted a single set of '06 valves anywhere in Canada up to that point. He questioned if it was even necessary at the next interval.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2009, 12:56 am

18k service

Hey there!

I did mine this spring at 18k, now has 24k. Anyways, very easy IMO. I just followed the RepRom DVD. My dealer agreed to actually adjust any valves if they were out. I called several east and west coast BMW service folks and only one has actually has to adjust the valves and that bike had 36k on it. I replaced the plugs (they looked nearly new), the coolant with Engine Ice, thermostat and air filter. The only difficulty i had was unplugging the connectors to the spark plug coils because they are very small. I would save the money and forgo the new valve cover gasket because it is reusable. Good luck.

2007 K1200GT
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2009, 3:59 pm

Location: Dublin / Belfast, Dublin / Down, Ireland / Northern Ireland
$800!!!! Jesus!!!! I just had mine done in Belfast and it cost me 127!!!! Aparently the next one at 24,000 is the biggie and my dealer tells me it will cost me around 240.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode