Sub. Mach. Bar Backs and ZTechnik Z6150 Acc. Mount - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2009, 4:50 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Sub. Mach. Bar Backs and ZTechnik Z6150 Acc. Mount

Just before a very long ride, I installed ZTechnik Z6150 Accessory Mount and the Suburban Machinery BB3 Bar Backs on my 2007 BMW K1200GT. I use the mount for a Garmin Zumo 660 GPS.

Suburban Machinery makes a different bar back (BB4) for the K1300GT. There are other brands of handlebar extenders as well (Helibar and Verholen). It is unclear whether my results would apply to them.

Links:
http://www.suburban-machinery.com/K1200GT6.html
http://shop.ztechnik.com/cgi-bin/zte...h_model=bm-072

I had problems with the original installation, just before the long ride. It was obvious that I needed longer screws to fit my Suburban Machinery bar backs. Inside the ZTechnik package, there was a note, saying that users with bar backs should call a toll free number. It was the holiday weekend, and there wasn't time to call and get replacement screws, so I purchased screws from a local supplier (Hillco Fasteners, http://www.hillcofasteners.com). They had stainless steel M8 x 45 mm screws, and non-stainless M8 x 50mm screws. They were out of the M8 x 50 mm stainless screws that day.

The aluminum spacers (sleeves / wide washers) would not fit over the 45 mm stainless screws from Hillco, because the "neck" of the screw was too wide. I couldn't test them. The aluminum spacers were a very tight fit over the non-stainless 50mm screws, and I used them for the long ride. When I returned, the screws had already started to rust, and it was challenging to remove the spacers without marring them.

After the ride, I called ZTechnik, and they sent me pairs of M8x50 and M8x55 stainless screws. I told them that I would test them and report back.

The M8 x 55 (55 mm) screws are too long. They bottom-out before the mount is tight. The M8 x 50 (50 mm) screws make a tight fit on my K1200GT. The mount and handlebars feel secure. I worry that they may be close to bottoming out, but they were good for me. In my opinion, M8 x 45 mm screws should also work. I have not tested them.

Summary:
* M8x50 mm stainless screws worked well with my setup.

* M8x55 mm stainless screws are definitely too long.

* M8x45 mm stainless screws may be better, but were untested.

* Some brands of M8 screws (stainless and and non-stainless) have a "neck" that is too wide for the aluminum spacers (sleeves) that come with the ZTechnik mount. The screws supplied by ZTechnik did not have that problem.

* There are two other brands of handlebar extenders for the K1200GT (Helibar and Verholen). They were untested.

* The Suburban Machinery BB4 bar back for the K1300GT was also untested.

Last edited by XMagnaRider; Aug 19th, 2009 at 5:10 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2009, 5:07 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Additional Notes about Suburban Machinery Bar Backs

I called Suburban Machinery to get an email address, so I could share the above information with them. The owners (Terry and Sally) were both very nice on the phone. I had an interesting discussion with Terry. Note: I bought my Suburban Machinery bar backs (model BB3 for a K1200GT) used. They didn't come with instructions or a description sheet.

Terry was surprised that I had bought the ZTechnik mount. He asked me why I didn't use the 6mm holes on the bar backs instead. He explained that he had designed the bar backs so that owners could create their own accessory mounts using a metal plate, drilled to match the GPS cradle and anchored to the bar backs using the 6mm holes on top of the bar backs. This was a revelation to me, so I thought I would share it with the group.

I told him that I had been told that the holes were designed for a RAM ball mount, and I liked the positioning and adjustability of the ZTechnik mount. (I didn't tell him that I leave the bar backs off much of the time. I prefer the stock handlebar positions, and use the bar backs only for very long rides, so I needed an alternate GPS mount anyway.)

Terry told me that the 6mm holes do not match RAM ball mounts, which are 1/4-20. He told me that you can easily drill and tap the holes to 1/4-20 to fit RAM balls. He said that he may change from 6mm to 1/4-20 holes on the BB3 and BB4 bar backs some time in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode