Avon Storm ST Initial Impressions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2009, 3:31 pm Thread Starter

Avon Storm ST Initial Impressions

I just replaced the stock Bridgestones on my '08GT after 6300 miles. The front tire had a very strange bump/wave wear pattern that developed in the last 1500 miles, and the rear was pretty flat in the middle from lots of highway use. These tires were OK for most conditions around here (generally flatland), and were particularly good in the wet, although in the corners, they never inspired lots of confidence and made a significant whining/humming noise when leaned over. I just picked up the bike with the new Avons - after 25 miles all I can say is WOW! Taking the tight ramps on and off the interstate, the bike was like a new machine. It leaned over easily and held a line as if it were going straight. The tires were quiet like never before. Obviously, I need to put many more miles on for a full comparison, but my initial response is very positive. I wish they put these on from the factory!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2009, 3:53 pm
Addict

The funny bump/weave pattern of wear on you OEM tires is common, some here call it feathering. Running slightly higher tire pressures may alleviate it to some extent, but it seems an inevitable thing with the Bridgestones. By the time I changed my first pair of BT020's (9,000 miles!) they were worn as you describe, with the back so square I could feel it 'fall over' as I tipped into a turn. New BT021's cured that.

I'll be anxious to hear how your Avons wear.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2009, 8:42 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick
The funny bump/weave pattern of wear on you OEM tires is common, some here call it feathering. New BT021's cured that.

It's also called cupping.

And the BT021's will do it too.

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2009, 8:58 pm

+1

I have never tried any Avon tires. Upon Meese's recommendation I put on the Storms also and after a 4000 mile trip I think they are the best tires I've ever run.

No funny wear patterns, track straight and true, and leaning into the turns are the same now as when they were brand new. Haven't run much in the rain so no opinion there.

The tires I last ran were Michelens. I found the wear of the front caused a change in handling and worse they would cause a severe wobble of the bike tracking a groove in the road parrallel to the direction of travel... That woke me up several times! Never have had Metzlers or the Storms do that to me.

Spafxer
jim
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2009, 10:02 pm
Veteran

My old bike, the K75S, had that cupping and would really do odd things at times. That was with Metzeler Marathon bias-ply front. Went to a Lazertec (or whatever they are called) and those worked out better, good combo with a Marathon bias-ply rear.
I'm getting the cupping on my GT with the stocker Bridgestone Battleax tires. But I haven't FELY anything adverse so an trying to squeeze them out til I hit the wearbars if I can.
I get the whining really bad now too. Especially with the helmet all closed up and the bike windshield raised, man it just howls. I was at first worried it was the final drive! (Does it on fast curves)
Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2009, 8:51 am
Veteran

Thumbs up

+1

I'm on my third set of Storms. I averaged about 12k km on the first two pair. The "new bike" feeling never leaves and is the best way to describe these tires. I have yet to find a circumstance where they haven't performed very well. I ran a track day on the second set when they had 1k on them. They were very confidence inspiring. And actually outlasted the first pair by a few hundred kms.

When you consider their price, handling characteristics, mileage potential, road-hazard warranty (at least in Canada) and even their looks, I can't imagine ever wanting anything else.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2009, 9:06 am

I definitely think recommendations like these for a particular bike are the best bet for getting some great tires. Original OEM selections are often compromises for a number of reasons and, while brand loyalty is commendable, the same tire behaves differently for different bikes.

The Pilot Road 2's were a revelation on my old Honda. The OEM tires were great too (they were Dunlops designed for the bike), but once they became unavailable, the recommended replacement from Dunlop was awful! Putting the Road 2's on was like getting a new bike (or at least getting my old one back)!

So, even though they were great on the Honda, I'll probably be giving those Avons a try on the GT (even thought I've never had Avons before) once my OEM 'stones start having issues. Thanks for all the good info!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2009, 11:19 am
Veteran

I had a set of Avon's on my bike. Riding two-up in Sequoia National Park, the belts began to show on the rear at one stop (Man, they wear out quick past that wear bar!). Had to use a land-line to call the dealer in Fresno to get a new set of tires installed on a Saturday. Bike made it there even with the belt showing.

Turns out they only had Metzeler and the "Insurance. Liability. Must buy both. Yadda. Yadda." stuff ensued. So I did buy both, even though the front would have made it through another rear tire. That made for a very expensive afternoon.

Immediately I noticed a much harsher ride due to the tread design on the front as well as the bumpy feedback due to the steel belts in the Metzeler verses the fabric in the Avon.

I haven't been a fan of steel-belted tires since even on the car. Too harsh and noisy of a ride - and the little rubber mushroom plugs shot into tires at times might get cut by the steel belt (never happened to me personally, but I have run on plugged tires for a while).

Mack
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2009, 12:03 am
Rookie

I had several sets of the Storms on my FJR and loved them and usually got a a little better than 6,000 miles. I have a set of Pilots 2 on my GT1200 and love them also and the rear looks like it will go 7, 000 miles. By the way the Storms were the best tire in the rain that I ever had. Havent had the Piots in the rain.

Marty
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2009, 12:58 pm
IBR# 366

Well, I usually get 6-7K miles on a rear Storm, but on a recent ride starting in California I managed to wear a Storm down to the wear bars in 48 hours and 2,700 miles. Now I might have gotten a few hundred more miles out of it, but I was heading off into the wilds of Canada and so decided to just get it changed out in Winnipeg.

Note that these results aren't typical and in this case, YMMV truly does apply . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode