K1300GT clutch in K12GT? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2009, 7:14 pm Thread Starter

K1300GT clutch in K12GT?

My 07 GT is in the shop right now for clutch problems. It has the squeal on launch, And a horrible grumbling noise in neutral with the clutch lever released. Sounds okay with the clutch lever pulled in. I am looking at having to buy a new clutch basket and clutch assy. I am not thrilled with the idea of spending that much money and having the problem come back in 30K miles or so. Does any one know if the K1300GT clutch assy will fit the K12? If so, Has the K13 clutch had these problems? I am unfortunately under the gun here since I am going out of town tomorrow morning and need to tell the dealer what part I want shipped to fix my bike.

Brian Ley
2007 GT
2010 650GS
2000 LT sold but not forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2009, 2:55 am
Enthusiast

I would "hope" that the dealer would know if the 1300 clutch would work in the 1200... or at least could find out for you?

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2009, 4:03 am Thread Starter

My dealer had never heard of it happening before and thought there were some differences between the two in the parts illustrations. I had mentioned it to him because I had read about it here. After searching again I could only find one mention of it by one person who never stated that he had done it himself. My dealer is swamped with work but fit me in on no notice because I am heading out on a 10 day ride next week. They are over nighting the parts tomorrow morning so I can make my trip. Sounds like good service to me.

Brian Ley
2007 GT
2010 650GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2009, 12:09 pm
Enthusiast

I don't know what BMW did to the clutches in the 1300 but I don't hear a lot of people complaining compared to the 1200s...

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 11:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
My dealer had never heard of it happening before and thought there were some differences between the two in the parts illustrations. I had mentioned it to him because I had read about it here. After searching again I could only find one mention of it by one person who never stated that he had done it himself. My dealer is swamped with work but fit me in on no notice because I am heading out on a 10 day ride next week. They are over nighting the parts tomorrow morning so I can make my trip. Sounds like good service to me.
After your ride, let us know which option you pursued.

Would be interested in hearing about your experience.

I have an 08 that needed to have it's clutch replaced once with less than 1k on the bike and it started shuddering and making noises again on load. Have been waiting for a better fix for the GT and hoped they come up with something.....

Thanks and hope you enjoyed your two week ride!

Mike

'08 K1200GT
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 4:24 pm

K1200 clutch replacement

Brian,

I had a full clutch replacement on my K12 because of the horrible squeal it was done under warranty . To no avail, after some milage the squeal started again. I solved the problem with a K13.

But, as of today, I'm still wondering that the squeal might be the consequence of me handling the clutch badly because the K12 was not handling low rmp's as it should. I used to slip the clutch a lot to compensate for a not so smooth engine @ low rpm's.

The K13 handles low rpm's like a charm and I do not have to manage low speeds with a slipping clutch, hence the clutch does not squeal.

Does this make any sense ?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 4:50 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre
Brian,

I had a full clutch replacement on my K12 because of the horrible squeal it was done under warranty . To no avail, after some mileage the squeal started again. I solved the problem with a K13.

But, as of today, I'm still wondering that the squeal might be the consequence of me handling the clutch badly because the K12 was not handling low rmp's as it should. I used to slip the clutch a lot to compensate for a not so smooth engine @ low rpm's.

The K13 handles low rpm's like a charm and I do not have to manage low speeds with a slipping clutch, hence the clutch does not squeal.

Does this make any sense ?
Maybe...

From my knowledge of the CA CHP patrol bikes, in 1997 when they began using them, they were smoking the clutches into a glaze from slipping them. Something they learned to do and it carried over from their Kawasaki days. They had to re-learn "Not to slip the clutch."

Maybe it applies to the squealing ones out their now? Someone riding and slipping them and glazing them up?

Of course the R1xxxRT-P are dry clutches, but they still managed to bugger the first ones up in 600 miles or less by slipping them.

You could be onto something as the original K1200 were a fit to ride in slow traffic with the airbox idle-control circuit fighting any resemblance of a normal and smooth idle. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if the clutches are glazed as a result. What BMW did was enlarge some oil port in an attempt to cool the plates and allow a bit more slippage.

Of course on the new 1300's, that will never happen since they cannot start at times, or just stall out where subsequent use of the clutch is pretty much useless.

Mack
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 5:24 pm

Please do not start

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Of course on the new 1300's, that will never happen since they cannot start at times, or just stall out where subsequent use of the clutch is pretty much useless.:
Mack
Mack,
My K13 is running like a charm, it starts all the time, and I know if I would have any problem, I would be supported by the manufacturer, a luxury we do enjoy on the old continent
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2009, 9:55 pm
IBR# 366

Trust me, the K13 clutches can squeal and judder, too. At least on the two different dealer demos that I rode.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2009, 12:29 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkuhno
After your ride, let us know which option you pursued.

Would be interested in hearing about your experience.

I have an 08 that needed to have it's clutch replaced once with less than 1k on the bike and it started shuddering and making noises again on load. Have been waiting for a better fix for the GT and hoped they come up with something.....

Thanks and hope you enjoyed your two week ride!
mjkuhno,
I had a great ride thank you. I also have a new clutch pack and basket. Both parts are slightly different than the originals. In my case early 07 vintage. Not certain about the changes But I have heard the clutch basket has been treated to make it harder. My clutch pack was still good but had 47k on it so I opted for a new one while they were in there. I also went with the thinner oil gear. The clutch basket shows a lot of wear. I will try and take a picture of it when I get a chance.
All the screeching and grumbling are now gone, Hopefully for good. I still have a slight vibration and rumbling noise in neutral with the clutch lever released. Dealer says its normal. Its minor so I will keep an eye on it for now. The parts were pretty darn expensive. My dealership took really good care of me with the labor costs.

Brian Ley
2007 GT
2010 650GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode