Rear Tire Size - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2009, 7:48 pm Thread Starter

Rear Tire Size

Can I run a wider tire from a K1200S on my GT? Anyone ever tried this. I want to install a 190/50-17. Just wondering if it would fit or affect the handling.

2007 K1200GT Jet Black

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 19th, 2009, 9:20 pm
Veteran

Also called heel-to-toe wear if you've hung around enough tire shops over 50-60 years.

Exhibited on most tires that have "molded islands" on them, even truck and car tires. Won't see it on a smooth slick (i.e. no tread) race tire though.

Play a game called "Brake Hard" with a pencil eraser held perpendicular to a tabletop sometime and see what happens to its shape. Then try it with a large eraser held flat and see which of the two deforms first and how. Coefficient of friction does amazing things to rubber.

Mack
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2009, 12:44 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Also called heel-to-toe wear if you've hung around enough tire shops over 50-60 years.

Exhibited on most tires that have "molded islands" on them, even truck and car tires. Won't see it on a smooth slick (i.e. no tread) race tire though.

Play a game called "Brake Hard" with a pencil eraser held perpendicular to a tabletop sometime and see what happens to its shape. Then try it with a large eraser held flat and see which of the two deforms first and how. Coefficient of friction does amazing things to rubber.

Mack
Did you forget your medication or did a post above your's get removed?

To the OP, why do you want to pay more for a 190 tire and get slower tip in? Do they not make the tire you want to use in a 180? ... Yes it will have some affect on the handling.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2009, 2:17 am Thread Starter

To the OP, why do you want to pay more for a 190 tire and get slower tip in? Do they not make the tire you want to use in a 180? ... Yes it will have some affect on the handling.[/QUOTE]

Some buddy of mine has a new Avon Storm 190 meant for a K1200S that he wants to give me. Just wanted to know if it would fit. I would hate to go through the trouble of having it installed, only to find that it would not work.

2007 K1200GT Jet Black

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2009, 8:16 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait
Did you forget your medication or did a post above your's get removed?
Opps!

Somehow this was meant to go under the "Avon Storms ST Initial Impressions" thread. I'll blame it on drugs - or having 2-3 browser windows opened at the same time.

Never mind...

Mack
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2009, 9:46 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Opps!..... I'll blame it on drugs - .....
What......none for the rest of us?! It's polite to share you know.....

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2009, 12:29 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakalika
Some buddy of mine has a new Avon Storm 190 meant for a K1200S that he wants to give me. Just wanted to know if it would fit. I would hate to go through the trouble of having it installed, only to find that it would not work.
Free stuff is always good. I have read posts and seen pictures of others who have installed the sport rims and 190 tires from a KS on their GT. The 190 tire will fit on your 5.5" rim so there shouldn't be any problems.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2009, 12:33 pm
2 heads are better than 1

They run a wider wheel on the K12/1300S to support the 190 series tire (5.5. for 180, 6 for 190). The GT rear wheel is the 5.5.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode