Tire Pressure Monitoring failure - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2009, 9:32 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Tire Pressure Monitoring failure

I've searched the various threads having to do with TPMs but could not find anyone who's had the problem I have begun to experience.

Yesterday, about half way through a 300-mile ride, the yellow triangle warning light came on, together with the tire pressure warning symbol, and the TPM readout went to no reading for both the front and rear tires (just the "----- / -----" instead of any numbers). I pulled over and checked the pressure with my guage and found the pressure in both tires to be fine. When I started up again, the warning light was gone and the readings were back, showing pressure in the recommended range.

About 100 miles later the same thing happened again. This time I did not bother to check the readings with my guage but just stopped to gas up the bike and hope that once I started up again things would revert to normal. No such luck. The warning stayed illuminated all the way home, another 40 miles or so.

The bike, an '08 K1200GT, has 11,500 miles on it and it has never displayed this problem before.

I can't help but wonder whether an event that occurred two days earlier may be a factor somehow. I had the worn rear tire replaced but had to return to the dealer after riding the bike a few blocks because the red triangle warning light came on as I rode away from the dealer. It soon changed to the more usual yellow warning triangle and the readout showed blank for the pressure in both tires. It turned out the mechanic had used the wrong setting on his air pump and inflated the rear tire way beyond the recommended pressure. Once the pressure was corrected, the warning disappeard and I had no problem for the next several hundred miles -- until yesterday.

Does anyone have any insight as to what is going on here and/or what can be done to rectify this glitch?

Thanks.

- Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2009, 9:48 pm
Addict

Do the readings for both tires disappear (and reappear) at the same time? If so then I would expect a problem with the TPM receiver/computer, located under the seat. If you know anyone with a GS-911 you might check for a fault code in this module...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2009, 10:19 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Yes, that's right, the readings for both tires disappear simultaneously.

If it is "a problem with the TPM receiver/computer, located under the seat," what could have caused it?

I not only don't know anyone with a GS-911, I don't even know what that is. But hopefully my local dealer will.

Thanks.

- Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2009, 11:07 pm
Addict

Sometimes they just die, mine did.

A GS-911 is a device that allows you to read fault codes from the various computer modules on the bike. Anyway, just noticed your model year and mileage and that you are under warranty, so just let the dealer take care of it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2009, 3:55 pm

Location: Dublin / Belfast, Dublin / Down, Ireland / Northern Ireland
Don't know if this will help but mine did this last week. Whilst having the rear tyre changed it became apparent that the fella who owned the bike before me had used tyre slime in the tyres - bad idea as apparently they wreck the sensors.

Anyhow, when the dealer had a look at it he found that the front sensor needed replacing entirely whilst the rear only needed resetting. As slime is probably not your problem it may be that they just need resetting at the dealers as I understand that sometimes they can "drop the codes" (according to the dealer).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode