Another Trailering Thread - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2009, 4:03 pm Thread Starter

Another Trailering Thread

Let me try and narrow down my situation down before we stray too far off-topic.

* I already have a two-rail Kendon trailer, so I don't need a new trailer, wheel-docking system or similar.

* I have lots of experience trailering bikes (racing, trackdays, etc.) so I'm very familiar with the process in general.

* I know it's more fun to ride the bike, but sometimes it is more convenient to take the bike and other (big) stuff to a location before riding. This is one of those combination trips.

* I have done a board search, and have found some good information, but I wanted some more specifics and any "updates" anybody might have.

Ok, all that said, I've never had a bike with a hassock front end, and heated grips before. In reading the other threads, the two schools of thought seem to be "Canyon Dancers (or similar) are fine with the grips" and "put some tie-downs of one form or another on the front end somewhere".

What has the experience been lately? I have used the canyon dancers for a while now, and they work fine... BUT... Even forgetting the heated grip issue, I'm not sure the construction of the upper handlebars is really designed for that sort of pressure. Not an expert, I could be convinced otherwise.

So... I was thinking of using some part of the "front end". Where is the best place (try to be as detailed as you can), and right equipment to do this without scratching or otherwise damaging the bike?

Is there an official BMW recommended method?

I'm sure I can figure out one thing or another, but taking advantage of others experiences can avoid nasty surprises...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2009, 10:03 pm
Addict

The canyon dancers are not recommended. I've hauled my KR several times for track days. I use a baxley sport chock (which is awesome) and loop the tie downs around the front end just above the fender. See picture. I also attach a tiedown around the frame by the rider footpegs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tiedown.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	10850  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2009, 11:08 pm
Veteran

When mine gets towed by a flatbed hauler, the points in Sharkbait post's photo above are where the guys tie their ratchet downs onto. Nothing on the bars.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 12:06 pm

Yep that's how I do it.
I went and purchased a few axle straps from princess auto, feed then through the front suspension where it show in that photo,( avoiding any lines and wires)as well as threw the triangles on the rear suspension. Then just ratchet strapped them to the floor. Oh I do have it on the center stand as well. I used that easy track system if you know that that is.
I love driving the bike everywhere, but like u said sometimes the family likes to go on trips as well.
Kevin
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 2:19 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I was trying to find a good picture too (unsuccessfully), but you managed to turn one up!

I kind of figured as much, but easier to ask than to pick the bike up off of the ground and say "no, I guess that wasn't it"...

Presumably, I might use some sort of protection for the finish on the "forks", but I have some possible solutions there.

The good news is I get to start the bike part of my trip from North Carolina, which is much more fun that riding out of Florida!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 9:26 pm
Rookie

I use a Condor trailer chock for the front and a Pit Bull trailer restraint for the rear. I use ratchet straps left and right for backup protection - fastened to the frame below the seat and horizontal so there is no load on the suspension. No attachment at all to the bars.

The Condor chock is fully adjustable to any front wheel size and the Pit Bull rear restraint is specific to model. I have about $450 in the whole rig - plus the open trailer.

2009 K13S
2000 YZF R1 track bike

Life is all about attitude!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 11:45 pm
Noob

Tie down to Kendon

You got it, tie her down around the front forks. I use the "secondary" strap piece on the Ancra tie downs (under a microfiber cloth) around the front forks; another set on the back near the passenger pegs.

Towed this way for a few thousand miles without issue.

Pic attached, hopefully it shows up.

JB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2754.1.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	10868  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2009, 9:24 am Thread Starter

"...Australian for beeeah..."

Thanks for the pic. It looks like a later version of my trailer, so that is very helpful. Wheelbase is so long on the GT, I was worried it might not fit lengthwise!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode