When the Grinders Are Low - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2009, 9:12 pm Thread Starter

When the Grinders Are Low

Hi All,

Since it was brand new, I was nervous about the smallish sidestand foot on our heavy GTs and the lean in of the bike when parked as well. So,... I started to look for something that would work better and found the links left by some of you about aftermarket foot extenders. Last winter, I bought and installed a unit by Hornig that cost about $40. The quality is great and it works very well. I haven't left any footprints in the hot asphalt all summer long, and the foot actually raises the angle of the parked bike to one I like better - most of the time.

The only complaint I have had is that occasionally I find myself in a situation where the parking angle is too upright - like on the shoulder of a road that crowns off pretty sharply. Then I have to angle the bike into the pitch more to make a more comfortable lean in the parking angle.

Another of your warnings was that these foot extenders can end up becoming grinding points on sharp left hand sweeps. Well, this past weekend I did some pretty aggressive riding (for me), and sure enough, I managed to loose a little weight off the foot of the sidestand. I'm just glad it wasn't something expensive.

Thought I might share a couple of photos with you.

Here is the leading edge of the foot now. It's pretty obvious where the grinding occurred.

Here is a picture on the centerstand in my garage with the sidestand up.

And here is one from the front of the bike trying to look down the side. Hummmmm,... I must have had that baby leaned over a bit - and with side cases and all.

If you are interested in the trip report where this happened, visit the link below. A very twisty mountain road with many corners signed as low as 15 mph.

Trip Report

Rainman

Last edited by Rainman; Aug 21st, 2009 at 9:19 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2009, 9:20 pm
JCW
contributor

Sweet riding on a GT.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2009, 9:26 pm
Veteran

Hard to believe there are still chicken strips on the tires. Maybe without the extender you can take it all the way over.

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 2:40 am Thread Starter

Chicken Strips

Hey Gilly,

Out here in the west we have mountains and curvy roads which make it kind of hard to preserve "chicken strips" very long - even for old guys on GTs like me.

I do a lot of highway commuting which tends to flatten out the center of the tires, but after looking at some U-Tube videos about "chicken strips" I don't feel bad at all about where mine are. There I see some guys showing off 1" strips.

Here are a couple more pictures of my tires. Both are Metzler Z-6.

The fronts have 13,700 miles on them, and are just about on the wear bars in the center. I think this trip actually rounded them out a bit. I'd say the "chicken strips" are at most 9/16" from the edge and 3/8" minimum.

Here is the rear. It has 8,500 miles on it and quite a bit of rubber left. I'm thinking the strip is at most 3/8" from the edge and more like only 3/16".

I am real happy with the mileage I've gotten out of the Metzlers, and I've got a set of fresh Dunlop Roadsmarts sitting in the garage rafters waiting for the rainy season to come around, (but not too soon I hope). Our summer has been pretty awesome.

I guess the foot on my sidestand will do well being my left side curb feeler. Better that then my fairing or final drive. I'm pretty sure that if they were to touch I'd also be sliding down the road on my arse.

Rainman
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 4:41 am
Veteran

Yup, just ditch the footpad extender and those elephants should finally be history.

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 9:03 am
Rookie

+1 on the Hornig extender. Yes, it will scrape before any of the stock pieces, but it does a great job of mitigating the excessive lean angle and inadequate surface area of the stock sidestand foot.

2009 K1300GT (Red) :
-----------------------------------
2002 R1150R (Sold)
1997 Honda VFR 750 (Sold)
1997 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (Totalled)
1995 Honda ST1100 (Sold)
1980 Honda GL1100 (Sold)
1983 Yamaha XV920 (Sold)
1979 Honda CX500 (Sold)
1980 Yamaha XS400 Special II (Sold)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2009, 6:36 am
Rookie

Ilium Works Makes a nice one too

Ilium Works GT side stand foot

I purchased one of these while at the BMWMOA Rally in TN and it works very well. Big enough to stop the asphalt diving and the loop makes it easier to flip up and down.

A+ for quality and workmanship.

Bob Naumann
K1300GT
IBA 19100
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2009, 9:46 pm
IBR# 366

Nice. Looks like you also took a little bit off that lower belly pan, too.

I solved my side stand problem by adding a little thickness and a lot more surface area by welding on another plate. The plate doesn't interfere with anything on the bike, nor does it scrape, even when the pegs are down hard.

It ain't pretty, but now it sure is solid.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2009, 1:20 pm
Addict

Those pictures of your tires and your peg feelers show that you are not leaning the bike over enough (which is totally fine) to warrant touching down. I think the problem has to do with your suspension not doing its job. Have you ever checked how much sag you have in the suspension? Is this an ESA bike and if so what setting were you on? Do you have a lot of miles on the shocks? Were you heavily loaded at the time?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2009, 3:54 am

I made an extender similar to the one shown when I first had the bike. That got scraped in the same way as shown. When the Wonderlich one became available I noticed it had a little more clearance on that side. I fitted one. Still touched it down a few times though, although you do get an extra few degrees before the sparks fly!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode