Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Titusville, FL, USA
Living in Florida, this is all too frequent of an occurrence. Everything (except florescent light fixtures and other "cheap" stuff) is on a surge protector. But, even at that, it is only of limited use if you have a nearby strike.
I once lost every electrical item I had in the garage (mostly battery tenders) when a bolt struck a nearby tree.
Surge protectors? Hell, some of the chargers were UNPLUGGED at the time, and were still fried. All that was required was that they were sitting on the concrete floor. Deltran (the Battery Tender guys) as well as other folks were pleased at my resulting generous order!
Your situation would not shock me (pun not intended) at all...