Tyre pressure monitors, or RDC or whatever BMW choose to call it!!! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2009, 11:30 am Thread Starter

Tyre pressure monitors, or RDC or whatever BMW choose to call it!!!

I'm after some words of wisdon regards TPM or RDC or whatever acronym it goes by. I was out in the rain today on my K1300GT, riding along at a rather sedate pace due to it raining so hard i couldn't see, and I rounded a left hand bend and got the red warning triangle flashing at me. I checked my instrument cluster and there are 2 pressures displayed for front and back tyre pressure, one was reading 2.4 bar and the one on the right which i assume to be the rear tyre was reading 1.9 bar. I assumed there was a problem so slowed and stuck the flashers on, rode on very slowly due to having nowhere to stop. after a couple of hundred yards I found a layby pulled in and checked everything only to find that the tyres seemed to be ok. After switching the ignition off and then back on, it seemed to go back to normal service and the pressures displayed were 2.3 and 2.8. Has anyone any idea what may have caused this minor hiccup. I've kept an eye on the pressures and 2 and a half hours later all seems to be well...Any info much appreciated. Didn't call on BMW as I felt it might just be a glitch rather than a fault. If it had continued to misbehave there's no doubt i would have called them out instead!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2009, 7:17 pm
Enthusiast

I had this problem w/ the TPM on my '07. When it rains (or any other sufficiently rapid temp change) it cools the air in the tires and the TPM sees a drop in the pressure and you get the dreaded triangle. I actually had a BMW service manager tell me to put a piece of duck tape over the triangle if it bothered me! Nice, eh?

BMW cannot do anything about this. The yellow or red triangle is very distracting...and I always was wondering: "What if I ignore it and I actually do have a leak or impending flat.".
I did not get the TPM on my '08 for this reason.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2009, 9:27 pm
Noob

I have an 07 and have had the same thing happen when the pavement cools rapidly. Once you are back out of the rain and the pavement temp goes back up then the problem goes away. Just leave the monitor on tire pressure so you can watch to see if the pressure continues to drop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2009, 10:27 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2jag
I'm after some words of wisdon regards TPM or RDC or whatever acronym it goes by. I was out in the rain today on my K1300GT, riding along at a rather sedate pace due to it raining so hard i couldn't see, and I rounded a left hand bend and got the red warning triangle flashing at me. I checked my instrument cluster and there are 2 pressures displayed for front and back tyre pressure, one was reading 2.4 bar and the one on the right which i assume to be the rear tyre was reading 1.9 bar. I assumed there was a problem so slowed and stuck the flashers on, rode on very slowly due to having nowhere to stop. after a couple of hundred yards I found a layby pulled in and checked everything only to find that the tyres seemed to be ok. After switching the ignition off and then back on, it seemed to go back to normal service and the pressures displayed were 2.3 and 2.8. Has anyone any idea what may have caused this minor hiccup. I've kept an eye on the pressures and 2 and a half hours later all seems to be well...Any info much appreciated. Didn't call on BMW as I felt it might just be a glitch rather than a fault. If it had continued to misbehave there's no doubt i would have called them out instead!!!
The TPM is just one more thing to fail on the bike. Tear it out by the roots and purchase a fresh digital tire gage!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2009, 7:25 am Thread Starter

Thanks, but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandera
The TPM is just one more thing to fail on the bike. Tear it out by the roots and purchase a fresh digital tire gage!
Thanks for your help Bandera, but I dont think I'll go down that road
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2009, 9:05 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandera
I beg to differ. The TPM is very helpful. It warned me when I picked a nail. That made it worth the price of admission alone.

The TPM lets you go longer between tire fills, because you can monitor tire pressure without losing air. Tires lose air each time they are checked with a manual pressure gauge. This is especially true for the rear tire, where I need a 90 degree valve stem adapter. The rear tire loses extra air when I attach and remove the adapter.

I keep a manual pressure gauge in my glovebox for when I add air to the tires and as a precaution. For day-to-day tire pressure monitoring, the TPM saves me a lot of time and effort. I can't imagine buying a new bike without it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 7th, 2009, 5:31 pm
Enthusiast

+1 on that. I wouldn't use my TPM for measuring tire pressure. Mine like most are off by about 3 psi anyway. However, TPM is great to warn for rapid air pressure loss. As long as it is an available option, I will pony-up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
I beg to differ. The TPM is very helpful. It warned me when I picked a nail. That made it worth the price of admission alone.

The TPM lets you go longer between tire fills, because you can monitor tire pressure without losing air. Tires lose air each time they are checked with a manual pressure gauge. This is especially true for the rear tire, where I need a 90 degree valve stem adapter. The rear tire loses extra air when I attach and remove the adapter.

I keep a manual pressure gauge in my glovebox for when I add air to the tires and as a precaution. For day-to-day tire pressure monitoring, the TPM saves me a lot of time and effort. I can't imagine buying a new bike without it.

Mike M

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode