Just bought an 06GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2009, 11:21 am Thread Starter

Just bought an 06GT

Hello everyone, I just traded my 03LT for an 06GT. My SO won't ride with me any longer and the LT was more bike than I needed for solo riding. With the LT there were a number of things recommended by members of the LT forum to make the bike better such as cutting the brown wire, canisterectomy, etc.

I would like to take advantage of your experience and see if there are any recommended procedures for the GT I just purchased?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to learning for all your experience.

David

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2009, 11:47 am
Veteran

Go to the local dealer's service manager and ask if he would run the VIN number through BMW and see what the service records hold. If they know their way around the BMW computer, it can hold a wealth of info on your bike as to who did what and when. How well they can get to it should also tell you how competent they are (ahem!). If they try and hide stuff from you or cannot find anything, I'd look elsewhere (damhik!).

The most important would be the airbox concerns that causes a lot of slow speed drive-ability issues (bucking-bronco), stalling, and idle sticking at high RPMS (>2500) at times. That crap will annoy you to no end!

Other little niggles would be the fuel-sensor strip in the tank. A new-style cam chain tensioner. Some vented cap that was a recall. Some wiring issues around the ignition switch and to the brake pads (too tight or cut wires). Some have had complete transmission changeouts and replaced final drives. Oh, make sure the thing has had the final drive's oil changed and a magnetic drain plug wouldn't hurt it either.

Once you all that done with all that, then go get one of those Power FRK things put in it to settle out the flat-spot on acceleration that sometimes occurs around 3200 RPM. Might want to install a HID lighting unit and bulb (Cost is under $100 now if you DIY). A Powerlet socket is a nice add if you want maximum current to your heated gear in the winter as the stock one will occasionally shut down the circuit (the Can-Bus acts like an auto-circuit breaker -- i.e. No fuses) and it won't get as hot, plus you can dump a charger into it and not have to worry the bike's computer will disconnect it form the battery. Oh, add a Odyssey PC680MJ battery onto it "now" as to stop the slow-starting-once-warm-stuff too. Do the shifter ball-bearing add too as it tightens up any loose-shifter flakiness. Might want to jump on the 20% off "Russell Day-Long Saddle" discount floating around this forum now too.

That's all I can think of right now...

Enjoy it!

Mack
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2009, 9:09 pm
Veteran

HEY, not to hijack, but I have read the "under $100" HID price before, and have read the DIY procedure, can you link me to the place that sells that under $100 kit? Also they have different specs on the HID wattage and color and all that, what is best for all around use? My main concern is driving to work in the morning and watching for deer.
Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2009, 10:09 pm Thread Starter

I installed HID on my LT both Hi and Lo Beam. I got mine from DDM Tuning. Had to modify the low beam socket due to install but man are they bright.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2009, 10:19 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
HID kit

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...=p4506.c0.m245

I am on year two with this kit!

Cheap but it works nicely!

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2009, 10:32 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
HEY, not to hijack, but I have read the "under $100" HID price before, and have read the DIY procedure, can you link me to the place that sells that under $100 kit? Also they have different specs on the HID wattage and color and all that, what is best for all around use? My main concern is driving to work in the morning and watching for deer.
Gilly
I got mine from a Canadian supplier. Something like $89.

Here: 6000 Kelvin H7 HID Motorcycle Kit However, it is a bit bluish for my taste.

Maybe better would have been the 5000 Kelvin one here: 5000 Kelvin H7 Motorcycle HID Kit

Note, if you go to their website http://www.cqlight.ca you may find out their website has been hacked by The Omen. Interesting. Might want to call beforehand.

Mack
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2009, 10:46 pm
Enthusiast

+1 on the ddmtuning kit, nice small igniter unit, 35w no melting the housing from excess heat, I bought the 5000k H7 bulb, very happy with it, even during the day I notice people sitting still at intersections, more so than they used to.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. Will Durant

2006 K 1200 R
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2009, 10:42 pm Thread Starter

I picked up my 06GT this afternoon and took her out for about a 160 mile ride. This is an amazing bike. I love the power and the handling of her. Can not wait to get on and do some more miles.......Saturday is only a few days away.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 4:42 am
Veteran

On the high/low kits, it's just one bulb to do this right? The 2 seperate high beam bulbs will still be halogen, but the xenon bul will switch from low up to high?
Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 7:01 am
Addict

They do make kits that are hi/lo in one bulb, but on your GT, all you really need is the H7 low beam. The kit will come with the bulb (try to get around the 5K spectrum for the whitest light), the ignitor, and the ballast.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode