Coocase top case - pics - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 2009, 1:34 pm Thread Starter

Coocase top case - pics

I've been looking for a top case for my K1200gt - thought that I'd share some pics to help others on the same journey.

I wanted a larger case and liked the idea of having additional lights on the back. I couldn't justify the cost of the BMW cases - although every other case seems to require additional attachment brackets which adds to their cost. I liked the Givi cases but I struggled with the cost of the fitting brackets for a larger case ($175). A number of folks had stories to share about the difficulty in wiring the top case lights into the can-bus system. I liked the Hepco Becker case but in the end I opted for the Coocase from Twisted Throttle.

Overall I'm very happy with the case. I've read of some folks noticing that their handling / stability was impacted with a top case. I rode 200miles today and didn't notice any major difference.

I bought the model with lights - I've attached pics of the lights at night and with the brakes on - not the safety addition that I was looking for to be honest. I bought the can-bus kit to connect the case into the electrics. The instructions weren't great so I had the it fitted by the BMW tech when getting the bike serviced. He also commented that the instructions weren't straight forward. The kit is in three parts - each with instructions - there just isn't an overall plan which would make the job easier.

This morning I noticed a buzzing coming from the bike which stopped when I pressed the brake. I disconnected the case electrics from the can-bus and it stopped. I need to get some advice from the guys at Twisted Throttle - perhaps something in the kit needs to be replaced.

Overall I'm happy. Nice secure, waterproof storage - which fits in with the look of the bike. Good price. Some electrical gremlins to be addressed but I expected that. Wish that the additional lights were more powerful. If I had my choice again I'd buy the base case - and save money on the cost of the lights, the can-bus kit and in my case, the BMW tech's time. If the lights were brighter and had more safety value then I'd sway to that case model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Case 003.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	10893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Case 002.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	824.3 KB
ID:	10894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Case 001.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	10895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Case 004.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	204.5 KB
ID:	10896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Case 005.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	10897  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2009, 12:43 pm
Addict

That's a nice looking case and a great alternative to the overpriced BMW case which has no lights. I just ordered a Givi E52 (liter) and a set of these from AdmoreLighting because they use LED's instead of incandescent bulbs.

http://www.admorelighting.com/index....php&subpage=11

This way I can have the running lights always on without worrying about the current draw messing with Canbus and the bulbs overheating in the housings.

I talked to them and they assured me their system is Canbus compatible, but will require me to run a separate 12volt switched line (probably for the running light function.

The case is coming tomorrow. Once I get the LED kit and install and test it I will post results.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 7:31 am
Veteran

Awesome looking case!! I'm sure you'll work out the bugs on the electrics and you could probably switch out the incandescent bulbs to LED to solve your brightness issue.

In any case (pun intended), a really good-looking case on that bike. Great choice. Thanks for the report.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode