A new twist on the old dead battery... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 6:28 pm Thread Starter
Noob

A new twist on the old dead battery...

I I've had my 1300GT for about 6 weeks now and have a touch over 1500 miles on it. Over the past few weeks, I notice that if I ride it every day, it starts fine when cold. However, if it sits for a day (I know, that's just wrong) then the battery barely has enough power to start it.

Well, yesterday morning I went out to ride the bike to work, and low and behold, it didn't start. I plugged it into the BMW trickle charger and after about 15 minutes it fired right up. I then took it over to Cal-Moto and checked it in for the day.

Here's what they found...

The Alternator is kicking out 14.7volts, and the battery is in great shape. However, BMW NA recently released a a statement saying that "non-BMW Garmin Units are draining batteries." I have my Garmin tapped into the GPS plug under the battery cover so that it will only be live when the switch is on. According to the tech, even when the switch is off, the CANBUS system still senses a draw at that location, and it boots up the computer to check it out. Thus, the story is that the computer was booting up even when the bike was turned off. Additionally, the BMW Garmin apparently has some additional electronics in it to prevent this from happening.

So....now I've unhooked that connection and I've gone straight off the battery. Now we'll see how it works over the next few weeks.

Has anyone heard anything similar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 6:43 pm
Enthusiast

I've got my non-BMW Zumo connected to the BMW plug on my 2008 K12GT and never had a problem. I don't think the draw on the GPS is enough to drain the battery in a day. Maybe it's just the k13GT - I've just never had a problem with mine.

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 6:53 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathme
According to the tech, even when the switch is off, the CANBUS system still senses a draw at that location, and it boots up the computer to check it out. Thus, the story is that the computer was booting up even when the bike was turned off. Additionally, the BMW Garmin apparently has some additional electronics in it to prevent this from happening.
That sounds absolutely ridiculous to me. I'd like to see it in writing in a service bulletin...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 7:02 pm
Addict

I knew they could come up with a reason to (over)charge extra for the BMW branded Zumo

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 7:11 pm
Enthusiast

They can charge more because it has the unobtainium casing!

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 7:37 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by abercrombie_pafoofnick
I've got my non-BMW Zumo connected to the BMW plug on my 2008 K12GT and never had a problem. I don't think the draw on the GPS is enough to drain the battery in a day. Maybe it's just the k13GT - I've just never had a problem with mine.
I have mine direct wired to the battery and only had a problem when I left the Zumo on for several days. Otherwise no problem.

Steve Sylvester
Paso Robles, Ca

'08 K1200GT
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 8:54 pm
Veteran

Sounds like cow crap to me.

Mine's been on the '06 GT bike since the Zumo 550 thing came into being around Nov. 2006. Ditched the BMW Navigator III around that time too. I just moved the Nav. III wiring over to the Zumo without it knocking out a battery overnight or even a week or two while off the charger. Plus, I doubt the thing has enough current draw to kill the battery overnight down to your level anyhoo.

+2 on the "BMW Garmin being better and no draw" comment. I'd like to see the BMW ripsheet on the Garmin Zumo being bad too. If that were true, there would be a flood of posts on the Zumo forums about dead batteries caused by the Zumo on various brands of bikes.

The only thing I could fathom if it were wired wrong or faulty enough to have caused a dead short somehow. The Can-Bus should have shut that line down anyhow once off if it were shorted. Still, I'd expect to have read something about Zumos killing various cycle batteries on that forum to substantiate BMW's claim of "Bad Garmin Zumo." BMW ain't the only Can-Bus bike alive (Ducati).

Are you sure this isn't some ploy to get you to buy a new battery on your dime while blaming it on something other than their "established" crappy and slow-cranking battery that BMW uses? If it is, I'd give a Red Star to Cal-Moto for even suggesting that.

In another week, they'll blame it on the oil instead of things like their crappy clutch plates or their swell stock battery.

Mack
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 9:24 pm
Addict

Turn the Garmin off.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2009, 9:35 pm
Addict-oholic

I think you may have connected the GPS plug incorectly. On my bike, I have the Zumo ( not the BMW version) and it works fine. when i shut down the bike, it even asks me to carry on with battery power or shut off and it shuts off automatically if I do nothing and stays off.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 12:05 am
Veteran

Yup, ditto whats already been said here a number of times. Mine asks and then shuts down on it's own just fine and I never have had a battery issue, even with the first 2 years using the stock battery. It may be something new with the 13 but it sounds like a load O'crap to me.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode