Tyre pressure monitor accuracy ? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2009, 1:30 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Tyre pressure monitor accuracy ?

Does any member know how accurate the tyre pressure monitoring system is?Mine on my K1300GT seems to be 2 to 3 psi out ,ie the TPM reads low ?
cheers Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2009, 7:44 am

Location: Dublin / Belfast, Dublin / Down, Ireland / Northern Ireland
Hi - from all the threads on this forum about this very issue, I'm led to believe that they're pretty bloody accurate and also compensate for temperature.

I've also read plenty on this site about calibration with one or two seeming extremely fussy about whether or not they have just the right amount of air in the tyres. Personally they're plenty accurate enough for me and I have come to rely on mine, only topping up when it shows .3 or .4 bar lower than it should.

You gotta ask yourself, if they're not very accurate then why would they put them on with pressure being so crucial to a bikes handling?

Hope this helps but brace yourself for plenty of potential replies talking about how accurate their dealer's air line is and how often they calibrate theirs at home!! (just messin' in case anyone takes this too seriously).
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2009, 8:07 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzle
Hi - from all the threads on this forum about this very issue, I'm led to believe that they're pretty bloody accurate and also compensate for temperature.

I've also read plenty on this site about calibration with one or two seeming extremely fussy about whether or not they have just the right amount of air in the tyres. Personally they're plenty accurate enough for me and I have come to rely on mine, only topping up when it shows .3 or .4 bar lower than it should.

You gotta ask yourself, if they're not very accurate then why would they put them on with pressure being so crucial to a bikes handling?

Hope this helps but brace yourself for plenty of potential replies talking about how accurate their dealer's air line is and how often they calibrate theirs at home!! (just messin' in case anyone takes this too seriously).
I don't think the TPMS was designed to give you precise readings. Think of it like the oil check mark It just tells you if your in range not how much oil is present.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2009, 8:35 am
Veteran

It'll change depending on heat and cold conditions to the air inside the tire. Someone said rain affects theirs and will throw a triangle up as the tire pressure goes down in the cold and wet. Hot and dry and it raises quite a bit. Mine seems to raise about 10-15% in the summer temps.

I'd say if it is within 15% it's okay. Just that weight and internal air temp. affects it much more. Dunno how a nitrogen fill would work on it although that seems to be a racer's favorite.

Mack
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2009, 11:22 am
Addict-oholic

My TPM works perfectly. I got a warning that the rear tire was low, and it was spot on. Added 4 lbs and the guage read it perfectly. Checking the front, it was on the mark. Glad BMW got that right.
Now, if they can fix my low gas warning light and replace my turn switch today as promised, I will be a happy camper. The dealer gave me a loaner, a F800, for the day and it is a swet little bike, even handling my 80mph on the Interstate for 40 miles. It was a bit chilly coming home this AM, as it has no windshield, just a deflector. Hopefully, my bike will be fixed at the end of the day.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2009, 1:11 am
Veteran

My TPM reads 3 psi low. Consistently. BMW says that 3 psi low is "within spec".

Because it is so consistent, I depend on it for precise measurements, given that the error is consistent and understood.

As I have stated in other threads, I like TPM because it makes regular tire pressure checking very easy, and because the tire doesn't lose air from the checks. That means that the intervals for adding air to the tires are much longer.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2009, 7:16 am
Rookie

Mine reads right on, but I would still be happy with it if it were off consistently by a few PSI. Agree that it's very nice not having to check the pressure and losing that PSI every time.

2009 K1300GT (Red) :
-----------------------------------
2002 R1150R (Sold)
1997 Honda VFR 750 (Sold)
1997 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (Totalled)
1995 Honda ST1100 (Sold)
1980 Honda GL1100 (Sold)
1983 Yamaha XV920 (Sold)
1979 Honda CX500 (Sold)
1980 Yamaha XS400 Special II (Sold)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 9th, 2009, 11:01 am

Location: Dublin / Belfast, Dublin / Down, Ireland / Northern Ireland
I would find it difficult to accept that they give you a "range" rather than a specific reading as it is a specific reading that shows up on the screen, not a range.

The only question is, I suppose, how accurate is the specific reading that it gives you? And my answer is - plenty accurate enough for me!!

If your wee botty is sensitive enough to know the difference between 2-3 PSI then you're wasted here!!

If the screen says 2.5 BAR then it's 2.5 Bar as far as I'm concerned, otherwise we get into the whole argument I predicted at the beginning of this thread about how accurate is your airline (cue mentions of the word "calibration" aplenty).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode