LHD vs RHD Xenon - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2009, 3:48 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

LHD vs RHD Xenon

Looking at a K1300GT headlight assm, which was originally on a British spec bike, is the beam pattern really that much difference going from Great Britain to the US spec headlight or am I really looking for problems doing this? If you look at the low beam reflector is just doesn't look like they could change the pattern that much.

Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2009, 7:57 pm
Veteran

Gilly,

I think you may be in for problems. I have a factory xenon headlight on my 2007 K1200GT. The low beam has a sharp cutoff. It is horizontal from the left, just below rear window height. On the right, the beam cutoff rises sharply at a 45 (60?) degree angle. The beam lights up reflectors on overhead highway signs above the lanes to my right. The reflections are very bright.

I think you might cause serious oncoming glare problems if the UK version has the same pattern to the left.

As it is, I still get "flashed" by oncoming drivers on occasion. Once, two friends (on an identical GT) and I were tailgated for 30 miles over Donner Pass, by a brights-on road rage driver who didn't like our BMW stock xenon headlights.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2009, 9:00 pm
IBR# 366

Yes, the UK-spec lens will cause problems in the US, for just the reasons David mentioned.

Gilly, relax. Just put the HID upgrade in your stock US housing, take the time to adjust it properly, then forget about it. Many of us have used the H7 HID upgrades in factory BMW housings for years without any problems. The reflectors are good, and work well with the higher lumen output of an HID setup.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2009, 5:15 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Once, two friends (on an identical GT) and I were tailgated for 30 miles over Donner Pass, by a brights-on road rage driver who didn't like our BMW stock xenon headlights.
EH, well, you know, Donner Pass, they could have just forced the guy to pullover, then eaten him........

Ken you're probably right. maybe if a stock xenon falls (cheaply) in to my lap sometime I can convert it, for now (deer running season) I should just go the cheap/normal route.

The headlight I was eyeing up has no bulb, ballast or control unit either.
Gilly

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode