K1200GT Clutch Rumble - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2009, 10:54 pm Thread Starter
Addict
 
Dadicool59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cleveland, QLD, Australia
Posts: 650
K1200GT Clutch Rumble

I know that it isnt easy to describe sounds or feel in words.

My dealer replaced my noisy clutch back in March and the awful grinding sound that I used to get hasnt re-occurred.

I have now however got what can be best described as a rumble that isnt loud but is audible and is also tangibly felt through the chassis.

This only happens when the clutch is totally disengaged in either neutral or when rolling in gear.

When the lever is applied or even a very light amount of pressure on the clutch lever makes it go away completely and smooths out the vibration.

Before I go back to my dealer and get "they are all like that" has anyone else got this and has anyone found a solution.

Thanks in advance.

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
Dadicool59 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2009, 11:39 pm
Noob
 
GTYeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Uintah, UT, USA
Posts: 21
Same here. My Gt has the original clutch. Didn't notice it until around 9k miles.
GTYeti is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2009, 1:13 am
Noob
 
campman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: , CA, USA
Posts: 13
My K13GT does the same thing and I got the "they all do that" when questioned... Definetly audible (and can feel a little rumble)
campman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2009, 1:37 am
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canberra, ACT, Australia
Posts: 93
Probably don't want to hear this but sounds about normal. Mine has a different vibe and sound in neutral depending whether the clutch is out or in. The 1300S I took out for a test ride a couple of weeks ago was exactly the same. Haven't noticed when rolling though.

Hey we can do a comparison in February, I'll probably be heading down your way.

Hope all's well on the coast.

Cheers
westridge is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2009, 9:10 am
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Forrestfield, Western Australia, Australia
Posts: 331
At least yours doesn't make the squealing noise any more. I had my clutch replaced about a year ago and the new one is worse than the old one in both noise and shuddering.

Every bike I have ridden of any brand has the rumbling / rattling noise in neutral with the clutch released. Some are more obvious than others but it is always there. The BMW is louder than most, however.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
BobD is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2009, 9:55 am
Addict
 
2008-K1200GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadicool59
I know that it isnt easy to describe sounds or feel in words.

My dealer replaced my noisy clutch back in March and the awful grinding sound that I used to get hasnt re-occurred.

I have now however got what can be best described as a rumble that isnt loud but is audible and is also tangibly felt through the chassis.

This only happens when the clutch is totally disengaged in either neutral or when rolling in gear.

When the lever is applied or even a very light amount of pressure on the clutch lever makes it go away completely and smooths out the vibration.

Before I go back to my dealer and get "they are all like that" has anyone else got this and has anyone found a solution.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew, my 2008GT does the same thing. The bike has 5000 miles on it now, and I have never had the judder, or any other clutch issues, but from day one it grumbled at idle until I pull in the clutch, then noise, and slight vibration are gone. It's not something I intend to bring up with the dealer since I don't think he can do anything about it. The other clutch issue I was uncomfortable with early on was the fact the clutch doesn't engage until the lever is nearly at the end of it's travel. In the several months I have had the bike I guess I developed the muscle memory to take off, and shift smoothly, because it's not an issue anymore. So this time I think the answer really is "they all do that" Cheers mate

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
2008-K1200GT is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2009, 10:25 am
Enthusiast
 
rebeltown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: , NJ, USA
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008-K1200GT
Andrew, my 2008GT does the same thing. The bike has 5000 miles on it now, and I have never had the judder, or any other clutch issues, but from day one it grumbled at idle until I pull in the clutch, then noise, and slight vibration are gone. It's not something I intend to bring up with the dealer since I don't think he can do anything about it. The other clutch issue I was uncomfortable with early on was the fact the clutch doesn't engage until the lever is nearly at the end of it's travel. In the several months I have had the bike I guess I developed the muscle memory to take off, and shift smoothly, because it's not an issue anymore. So this time I think the answer really is "they all do that" Cheers mate
I could live (but not be happy) with the clutch squeal and the "They all do that..." if they really ALL did that, but they don't!!!

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
rebeltown is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2009, 11:10 am
Veteran
 
Robert_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Troy, MT, USA
Posts: 1,658
Yeah well chalk up another one.....mine has done it for a long time and a lot of miles. I've had several techs and knowledgeable folks with lots more mechanical know how than me look at it and ride it and gotten the same answer. Hasn't seemed to hurt it in 40k + so I'll just keep rolling til it does. It is rather annoying though.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!


Robert_W is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2009, 8:44 pm
Addict
 
2008-K1200GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Long Island, New York, USA
Posts: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltown
I could live (but not be happy) with the clutch squeal and the "They all do that..." if they really ALL did that, but they don't!!!

Mine does not squeal at all never did, but it always grumbles in nuetral with the clutch out. If you pull the clutch in its quite. Are you saying yours in quite in nuetral regardless of the clutch position. If so your bike may be one of a kind a real rare comodity.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
2008-K1200GT is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2009, 7:10 am Thread Starter
Addict
 
Dadicool59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Cleveland, QLD, Australia
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008-K1200GT
Andrew, my 2008GT does the same thing. The bike has 5000 miles on it now, and I have never had the judder, or any other clutch issues, but from day one it grumbled at idle until I pull in the clutch, then noise, and slight vibration are gone. It's not something I intend to bring up with the dealer since I don't think he can do anything about it. The other clutch issue I was uncomfortable with early on was the fact the clutch doesn't engage until the lever is nearly at the end of it's travel. In the several months I have had the bike I guess I developed the muscle memory to take off, and shift smoothly, because it's not an issue anymore. So this time I think the answer really is "they all do that" Cheers mate
Well it seems like I have plenty of good company.
I was playing with it last Saturday while riding. Its not just in Neutral, it actually rumbles while in gear at speed.
If you ride along at any given speed and apply a small amount of pressure to the clutch lever you can feel the vibration in the chassis smooth out.
Oh well, shit happens

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
Dadicool59 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Clutch issues -too hard basket?? rgmrogerwilco K1200RS/GT (Classic) 9 Jan 30th, 2012 12:39 pm
2006 K1200GT Clutch Problem echarton K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 32 Feb 6th, 2011 11:56 pm
Clutch slave problem 2004 K1200GT CrazyDiamond K1200RS/GT (Classic) 9 Oct 8th, 2009 4:38 pm
clutch cable problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gabriel Technical, Repair and Maintenance 1 Nov 12th, 2007 4:22 am
Clutch questions 03 K12GT tyggyr K1200RS/GT (Classic) 12 Oct 18th, 2005 3:00 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome