New FD...tightening torques? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2009, 8:44 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

New FD...tightening torques?

When my '07 FD failed a few months ago I got the new FD with the drain and the fill plug. Does anybody know what the tightening torque is for the drain and fill plug? Someone suggested 8 Nm (5ft lbs) for the fill plug but that seems awfully low to me. The fill plug has a copper crush washer and I would suspect a higher torque. The drain plug is similar or identical to the 3 0'clock drain on my old FD, o-ring and all, so I'm guessing 20 Nm.
Didn't have any luck at the dealer...the guy I spoke with said the torque was 25 Nm for each - It sounded like a guess.

Bruce Hodges
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2009, 8:49 am
Enthusiast

Ken Meese provided this link the other day on another FD thread:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/attach...chmentid=10319

While the drive pictured in this service bulletin is the old style, it mentions a torque setting of 20 Nm for the drain plug. I would think 20 -25 Nm would be in the ballpark of what you want to use. Obviously, don't use a cheater bar with 1,000 ft/lbs of torque to snug down these two plugs. Common sense 101, eh?

Good luck,

David
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2009, 11:00 am
Enthusiast

Bruce,

Let me follow-up my response with a couple of other bullet items so as to provide a more complete answer.

First of all, note the fluid fill amount is 180 ml and not 230 ml as I had been using. Again, hats off to Ken for sharing that information.

Secondly, I'm a big proponent of doing things correctly. My friends & family will likely tell you I lean heavily toward the OCD side of things. Having said that, I don't adhere to the new crush washer every time I touch one during a maintenance procedure. Again, use your head and if the washer pertains to an integral part of the bike where the owner's manual highly recommends it, then yes use a new one. If the washer you're removing is badly disfigured, time for a new one. In general however, relative to the washer used for the fill plug I don't think I've installed a new one in three changes of FD fluid. That's not to say I won't next time. And while my GT isn't a pampered garage queen by any means, I do keep the FD and rear wheel area pretty clean so as to easily notice any leaking red fluid. Can't be too careful when it comes to these suspect final drives as I'm not too keen being stuck in the middle of BFE with an issue.

Sorry for the soapbox but I wanted to add those points.

David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2009, 8:05 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpancerz
Bruce,

Let me follow-up my response with a couple of other bullet items so as to provide a more complete answer.

First of all, note the fluid fill amount is 180 ml and not 230 ml as I had been using. Again, hats off to Ken for sharing that information.

Secondly, I'm a big proponent of doing things correctly. My friends & family will likely tell you I lean heavily toward the OCD side of things. Having said that, I don't adhere to the new crush washer every time I touch one during a maintenance procedure. Again, use your head and if the washer pertains to an integral part of the bike where the owner's manual highly recommends it, then yes use a new one. If the washer you're removing is badly disfigured, time for a new one. In general however, relative to the washer used for the fill plug I don't think I've installed a new one in three changes of FD fluid. That's not to say I won't next time. And while my GT isn't a pampered garage queen by any means, I do keep the FD and rear wheel area pretty clean so as to easily notice any leaking red fluid. Can't be too careful when it comes to these suspect final drives as I'm not too keen being stuck in the middle of BFE with an issue.

Sorry for the soapbox but I wanted to add those points.

David
David, thanks for you comments. Like you, I don't change crush washers every time -- I consider it a waste and unnecessary. And yes I know about the new 180 ml fluid amount. Meese's link shows the old FD with the drain at 3 o'clock.

What annoys me is that no one seems to know what the torque for the fill bolt is on the new drives. For anyone that doesn't know about the new FD it has a drain plug at 7 o'clock and a fill plug that's been added on the inboard side of the FD. With the rear wheel removed you have the speed sensor at 9 o'clock and the new fill plug at roughly 1 o'clock.
On the Adventure Rider site there was a guy with GSA (their FD has the same drain and fill plugs) that torqued the fill plug to 22 Nm and stripped it. It was also that site where someone recommended 8 Nm.
I was hoping that someone with a new FD would know for certain what BMW recommends.

Bruce Hodges

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode