Adding ASC/TPM to 08 GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2009, 5:18 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Adding ASC/TPM to 08 GT

I know I read something here on the board about adding ASC (stability control) and TPM to an existing 08 GT, but I cannot find it using the Search function.

I wanted to know if anyone has had this done, adding ASC and maybe TPM (tire pressure monitor) to an existing 08 GT. Any information would be appreciated.

I am wondering if the ASC is all software or does it require adding/changing any hardware, and if anyone has knowledge of the cost of this feature added on.

Likewise for the TPM, where I realize there must be hardware to send and receive the signals from tire sensors.

Thanks for any help with this.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2009, 6:09 pm

I talked to BMW of Western OR and they said it could be done, but only with a complete replacement of the computer and everything related to it, which would be an exorbitantly expensive affair.

Then I asked Ride West BMW and they said TPM could be added on my 08 GT with a firmware update to my computer. I did not ask about ASC.

After they got the parts in, I dropped off the GT. After bolting the parts on, indeed my computer did not support the TPM. They tried to flash in new firmware that would support it, but couldn't find the appropriate firmware. They gave it their best shot, emailing back and forth with BMW NA for several days, and then eventually BMW Germany before being told by an engineer that TPM can't be retrofitted to my computer.

I don't think it is a feasible project unless your computer dies under warranty, then you could get the TPM/ASC computer to replace your dead one.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2009, 7:42 pm
Addict

ASC requires the -KP version ECU, but a 2008 model should already have that. The TPM will require the Schrader control module (mounted under the seat just behind the ECU.) The upgrades probably could be doable and even cost-effective (if you have the -KP ECU), but that doesn't mean BMW will support or even permit it... and from what I've read in other threads on the topic I believe they will not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2009, 10:01 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks for the info. Now for some comic relief I'll ask my nearest MW dealer what they think.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2009, 5:03 am

Now that would be novel. A dealer that thinks.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2009, 1:06 pm

In the winter of 2008 I had ASC added to my 2007GT. I did need to get a new ECU. The dealer I bought the bike from charged about $1,800 for parts and install if I did it in the off season. I checked with another dealer and that seemed to be a fair price at the time including the ECU.

Both dealers told me TPM would require a new display in the dash, not just a software update. I'm not sure if that is true or not but two dealers 7 hours apart had the same story.

I cannot say I have ever felt the ASC kick in but I love having it.

'12 K1600GTL
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2009, 5:30 pm Thread Starter
Addict

From an earlier post it may be true that the ECU for the 2008 models support ASC, but this is conjecture on my part. I could live without TPM, especially if I have to replace the instrument panel! Thanks.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2009, 6:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick
Thanks for the info. Now for some comic relief I'll ask my nearest MW dealer what they think.
Let us know how it goes!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2009, 10:32 pm
Addict

The -KP ECU appeared on later 2007 models so if you have a 2007 then you might have the latest (ASC supporting) ECU and if you have a 2008 then you do. But again, having the correct hardware is just one part of the equation, the next part is will BMW support an upgrade. Please let us know what you find out...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode