Independent acceleration? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2009, 3:54 am Thread Starter

Independent acceleration?

Another thing to look out for… maybe?

To cut a long story short, a few weeks ago my GT started accelerating all by itself! The cruise control “appeared” to initiate this but the jury is still out there. Essentially, even with the cruise control turned off the bike just accelerated away without any throttle input from me! Luckily I was on a motorway (freeway?) so I had some room to manoeuvre and space to accelerate into. A stop and restart made no difference.
Trailered back home… we were going away for a few days too!
Dealer said the cable system from the throttle control to the cruise control was “all gummed up”. I still don’t quite see how this causes the bike to accelerate, with a consistent rev rise even under load, rather than maybe level out… but???

Anyway, I have the bike back now and all appears well. The throttle does seem easier so there was certainly an issue there. The only early symptoms I had of this was if I had ridden at a constant throttle for an hour or so, the revs would not drop back to normal if I stopped, they stayed at about 2000rpm. A few minutes of “normal” riding would put things back to normal. I guess the throttle movement would free up the cables again?

So, if you get these symptoms, check your cables are free, or at least compare them with another similar bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2009, 6:22 am
Rookie

Hi
I've had a similar problem with my first GT bought in 2006, to cut a long story short they replaced allsorts of stuff many times , took the bike back & replaced with new. The problem i was told was after along ride approx 100 miles the airbox heated up and expanded distorting the power . I had some very scarey times in the first year, I was led to believe this had been rectified, how old is your GT? My last GT an 07 was fualtless & i have just ordered a new one for 2010.

I hope that you have had it sorted if not go back and i'm sure they will get it rectified for you, don't let it spoil a great bike.

K1200 GT SE
Dark Graphite Metalic
Slate Grey side panels
Small Top Box
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2009, 8:15 am Thread Starter

It's an 06 GT but it has the "new" airbox... This is a quite different problem. But I thought, at first, it might have been a similar thing. This was MUCH more scarey. It was a significant accelleration, not just a high idle. I'm more than pleased with the bike, even with the hic-cups it's had along the way.
Thanks anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2009, 9:02 am
Veteran

My '06 had throttle climb a few times from maybe 2500 RPM up to 3200 RPM. More often it would just hang at around 3000 RPM. Then it began the stalling nonsense between gears (clutch in and coast). Dealer did the fettle thing to the airbox before the new-style airbox was officially claimed the fix. Sometimes just nudging the Speed Resume lever would cause it to creep higher than it should when engaged.

Second round sequence was replace the throttle plunger servo and some software change. Then it hung up worse at 3200 RPM and wouldn't drop down without a couple of throttle twists.

Third sequence was it got a new airbox (finally!) and another software load by BMW's factory tech (not the dealer). Then it got a Power FRK.

All is well now. No run-away idle. No hanging up of the idle at ~3000 RPM. No more stalling. Nice bike now and I was getting ready to ditch it. It just takes a lot of perseverance to hone it in. Seems almost the norm for owning a BMW to require a lot of get-it-together stuff to get it to behave as it was meant to be. Might take several dealers (6-7) too before you can find who's competent and who's not - and that can be the worst part of the honing.

Mack
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2009, 9:41 am
Rookie

My 07 is at the dealer right now for the second time due to intermittent fast idle. I rode the 3 flags a couple weeks back and at least 2x/day it did the hanging throttle thing ending up with a 3,000 rpm idle. This made for a couple of surprises when I rolled the throttle off for a tight corner and it didn't.

I asked the dealer to keep it until we get this right.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode