Reserve confusion K13GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2009, 2:51 pm Thread Starter

Reserve confusion K13GT

Will the tank be empty when the gauge indicates it is?

My low fuel light comes on when it indicates there is less than 70 km remaining. I was assuming that this would be the "reserve" amount

I noticed that this is accelerated towards the bottom of the tank (i.e. It will say I have 80 km of fuel remaining when I leave in the morning, riding it unagresively, but during my 60 km commute I fill it when it indicates 30 km remaining even though I have only traveled 30 km, thus, I'm assuming I better fill it ASAP).

When I fill it only takes 20 liters but know it holds 30 liters. Is there a reserve after it indicates it's empty.

Other threads have suggested when it shows empty, it is empty but from my experience I should have about a 1/4 tank left at "empty" which should give me another 160 km.

If my gauge is faulty can it be recalibrated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2009, 6:04 pm
Addict

07 K1200GT when the gauge read "---" I have about 1 gal left, that I consider my reserve. One note I was riding with an K1300GT on a thousand mile weekend, and his guage would go to "---" after mine. However we always were within about say 1/10 of a gal on fill-up.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2009, 7:31 pm
Rookie

For sure your gauge is off. Mine is very close - when it says I have 12 miles left, I can add about 6.2 gallons - so it's pretty darn close (2009 K1300GT). You should have it addressed under warranty. I can't see them arguing that this is "within tolerance." If they try that, I would put my foot down.

2009 K1300GT (Red) :
-----------------------------------
2002 R1150R (Sold)
1997 Honda VFR 750 (Sold)
1997 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (Totalled)
1995 Honda ST1100 (Sold)
1980 Honda GL1100 (Sold)
1983 Yamaha XV920 (Sold)
1979 Honda CX500 (Sold)
1980 Yamaha XS400 Special II (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2009, 12:30 am
Veteran

You know, my gauge seems to have always worked just fine and the light comes on at about .8 or so gallons left. I never use it for anything more than a rough calculation though. I rely 99% of the time on the odometer and knowing how hard I've run the last tank. It's gotten so I know if I'm going to need to fill up, (and not hit the yellow warning) in the low to mid 200 mile range. I once pushed out 285 miles, with the last few dozen of those in serious pucker factor on a cold and wet wintry night in the middle of no where. Got to town on fumes and it took 6.5 gallons to fill. The tank read empty before it was.

The moral here is even if your gauges are screwed up, ....and yes they should work.....it's a lot easier and better piece of mind to just reset the Odometer every fill up. Just make it a habit to hit the little button before you leave the pump.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2009, 3:15 am
AJB

I find that the gauge on my 09 K1300GT is very accurate - I use the range on the computer (and I zero trip 1 as a double check) and on my past European trip we ran it down to 6 miles range left and the bike took just over 23 litres. On that basis I would say there is a little bit more fuel left in the tank when the range computer says zero.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2009, 9:51 am
Veteran

This thread has an earlier discussion of the same topic. See my post #9, especially the summary at the bottom of the post:
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14658
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2009, 9:53 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
... Got to town on fumes and it took 6.5 gallons to fill. The tank read empty before it was. ...
The KGT tank holds 6.3 gallons, so I suspect that pump needed calibration and adjustment, too.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2009, 10:43 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
The KGT tank holds 6.3 gallons, so I suspect that pump needed calibration and adjustment, too.
Yeah but as far as I can tell without pulling the thing off and tipping it upside down and such, that's only to the bottom of the neck without drilling a breather hole or doing the bike between the legs and shake it all around thing. More than once I've put 6, 6.2, 6.3 etc and I know there was still air in the top of the tank.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2009, 11:17 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
This thread has an earlier discussion of the same topic. See my post #9, especially the summary at the bottom of the post:
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14658
That is exactly what I see as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode