K1300GT and Gerbing ++ - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2009, 12:53 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

K1300GT and Gerbing ++

Hi all,

I'm thinking about upgrading to a 1300GT, I currently own a 1200GT 08, and wants to add a few things (Zumo 660, Autocom, Ipod and Gerbing) powered from the bike.My dealer is hesitant to allow installing of Gerbing because it draws to much power.He says the maximum they are allowed to pull from the bike is 10 amps and my gear is close to 15 (his calculaton). A quick search reveals that quite a few people use Gerbing equipment and some also have much more farkles(?) than I do, apparently without any problems. Of course I do not want to have the battery drained because of this.

Still, I don't want to give up on this yet. What I'm hoping for with this post is to get some arguments that will help me convince the dealer that this is possible. Maybe even some examples of what electrical gadgets you are using without draining the battery. Also any suggestions how to install this the best way will be greatly appreciated. I'm not a technical person, so a brief explanation will be sufficient. If I need more details I will ask. I would prefer the power to die when the ignition is turned off.

English is my second language so if my writing confuses more than it explains, please let me know what is confusing and I will try to clarify.

Thanks in advance.
Regards,
GB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2009, 1:32 pm

The power outlets that come with the bike have limited current capability. If your power requirements exceed that capability, connect directly to the battery via an ignition switched relay designed to handle the amount of current your accessories will collectively draw in a peak-current situation. This is pretty basic stuff and if this concept is unheard of by your dealer....yikes...find someone who's more familiar with 12v electrical.

Un-used mirror hole mounting posts AVAILABLE

Check it out here!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2009, 2:36 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectSwitch
The power outlets that come with the bike have limited current capability. If your power requirements exceed that capability, connect directly to the battery via an ignition switched relay designed to handle the amount of current your accessories will collectively draw in a peak-current situation. This is pretty basic stuff and if this concept is unheard of by your dealer....yikes...find someone who's more familiar with 12v electrical.
Thanks for your reply. Just a quick, maybe stupid, question. You say that connecting directly to the battery will work. In your opinion does the battery has enough power to cope with what I want without it being drained?

I think one reason my dealer is hesistant is that he received an email from BMW saying that under no circumstances should they install any thing other than BMW approved accessories. This due to problems with drained batteries after installing things like Zumo 660. He showed me the email, unfortunately I don't remember the exact wording.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2009, 3:15 pm
Addict-oholic

I went from a 2006 K1200GT to the 2009K1300GT. I installed a separate fuse box wired to the battery ( Centech) and put in another plug outlet for my Gerbings heated liner from the fuse box. I also connected my motolights and my Zumo 550 thru the fuse box. No problems. The battery is more than capable of running all this stuff plus more. The fuse box is treiggered by a relay to the headlights so it is switched power.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2009, 3:21 pm
Veteran

Sounds like your dealer is siding with BMW AG's poor excuse for a battery they continue to put in their bikes. At some point during your first year, even if you add any electrical accessories to it, it will do the "Slow to crank" nonsense too. Then you'll be looking for an Odyssey PC680MJ to replace it to solve that matter or continue to put up with it with another BMW battery.

Now BMW thinks a GPS (other than their re-branded Garmin Zumo 660) will drain the battery. Doubtful since mos tap into the same line near the battery. Mine's (Zumo 550) been on the 2006 along with the 2610 and never had a battery go dead due to the GPS(s). Actually, their battery has never gone dead for anything, just its normal low current.

The Can-Bus accessory power outlets suck. No current at all available for heated goods, unless you like mildly warm gear (it shuts the line on and off like an automatic circuit breaker and nothing gets really hot). Their alternator can supply all sort of goodies, just they deny it due to their ingenious power out sockets that can barely run a clock.

Mine has more farkels and stuff that one could possibly want. I've run the entire Gerbing Cascades Extreme suit which has heated socks, pants, jacket, and gloves without an issues (via the Power-Let socket directly off the battery). The two outlet sockets BMW provides are just for looks - or an alarm clock. Really bad design and more than a few dealers have commented on it.

If your dealer is telling you that already, I'd worry already as they sound like they'll dodge on anything.

Mack
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2009, 3:26 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
I went from a 2006 K1200GT to the 2009K1300GT. I installed a separate fuse box wired to the battery ( Centech) and put in another plug outlet for my Gerbings heated liner from the fuse box. I also connected my motolights and my Zumo 550 thru the fuse box. No problems. The battery is more than capable of running all this stuff plus more. The fuse box is treiggered by a relay to the headlights so it is switched power.
Thanks for helping me with this issue. I looked at the Centech web site and if I understand you correctly the AP-1 or 2 with AP-130R & AP-170R Relay wiring Kit (CANBUS aware...) would do the trick?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2009, 3:38 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Sounds like your dealer is siding with BMW AG's poor excuse for a battery they continue to put in their bikes. At some point during your first year, even if you add any electrical accessories to it, it will do the "Slow to crank" nonsense too. Then you'll be looking for an Odyssey PC680MJ to replace it to solve that matter or continue to put up with it with another BMW battery.

Now BMW thinks a GPS (other than their re-branded Garmin Zumo 660) will drain the battery. Doubtful since mos tap into the same line near the battery. Mine's (Zumo 550) been on the 2006 along with the 2610 and never had a battery go dead due to the GPS(s). Actually, their battery has never gone dead for anything, just its normal low current.

The Can-Bus accessory power outlets suck. No current at all available for heated goods, unless you like mildly warm gear (it shuts the line on and off like an automatic circuit breaker and nothing gets really hot). Their alternator can supply all sort of goodies, just they deny it due to their ingenious power out sockets that can barely run a clock.

Mine has more farkels and stuff that one could possibly want. I've run the entire Gerbing Cascades Extreme suit which has heated socks, pants, jacket, and gloves without an issues (via the Power-Let socket directly off the battery). The two outlet sockets BMW provides are just for looks - or an alarm clock. Really bad design and more than a few dealers have commented on it.

If your dealer is telling you that already, I'd worry already as they sound like they'll dodge on anything.

Mack
Mack,

Thanks for your post. Now I understand why my Gerbing is warm but not hot. I have had GPS (first the BMW one, then the 660 when it died) and Autocom on my current bike without any issue so I was surprised when the dealer showed me the email. From all the replies so far I gather that it should be no problem running the farkles I want as long as it is wired directly to the battery with a fuse box and some kind of switch relay (if that is the correct phrase). I did a little more searching and found that Touratech has something they call CAN Bus Output Helper which, if I understand correctly, will do the trick.

A great thanks to all that has replied to my question. If anyone else has some input that has not been covered already please leave a reply. I'm very grateful for any insight since this technical stuff is really not my cup of tea.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2009, 4:23 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
The BMW alternator is rated at 945 watts.
At 13.5 volts this is 70 amps.

I would think the standard operating equipment would not require 63 amps
70 amps minus the 7 amps the dealer says you can use.

The canbus electrical outlet does limit output to about 5 amps.

The RepRom states 1150 RPM for start of charge
rated at 20.8 amps at 1450 RPM

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2009, 6:52 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj7840
The BMW alternator is rated at 945 watts.
At 13.5 volts this is 70 amps.

I would think the standard operating equipment would not require 63 amps
70 amps minus the 7 amps the dealer says you can use.

The canbus electrical outlet does limit output to about 5 amps.

The RepRom states 1150 RPM for start of charge
rated at 20.8 amps at 1450 RPM
Great! I really appreciate it. Thanks!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2009, 7:49 am

I installed two additional powerlet plugs down by the stock one mainly for my charger and for the wife's heated gear, then another gerbing connection up front for me, my Bags Connection tank bag has a powered ring that feeds a Centech AP-1 which powers the Radar Detector, Autocom/Kenwood 2-way, and the Zumo 550. All of these are fused and direct to the battery. Pulling the connecting pin on the tank bag disconnects the power but it still stays put.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode