Replacement Battery Time! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2009, 8:05 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Replacement Battery Time!

I've run into a battery charging glitch with my 06 KGT. I haven't added the direct to the battery charging connections yet so I'm still using the smarter than I am BMW charger through the accessory plug. During a routine charging cycle last month the charger seemed to get stuck on the last yellow indicator. Then it went into error mode before going green and a relay started a cyclic clicking sound somewhere under the tupperware. I tried resetting the charger and starting over several times with the same result. I called my dealer's service department and I got a "You probably need a new battery" response. I can live with that but they didn't have an answer for the source or cause of the clicking noise when the charger quit charging.

Two questions.
1. Has anybody had this problem before during a routine battery charge?
2. What is the latest recommendation for a replacement battery if I really need one?

I did a forum search for an answer to question 2 and didn't come up with anything helpful. I also checked on a replacement battery through BMW. The Exide gel is about $176.00. Not surprising but %*$&#$ expensive.

Thanks in advance for the help.

John
06 KGT CGM (and yes, it's still the fastest color!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2009, 10:07 pm

#2 is agree upon solution is Odyssey PC680MJ
I plan to limp out the rest of this season on my original one and spring for the Odyssey

see this recent thread for discussion

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19353
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2009, 10:25 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by three_west
#2 is agree upon solution is Odyssey PC680MJ
I plan to limp out the rest of this season on my original one and spring for the Odyssey

see this recent thread for discussion

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19353
T-W,

Thanks for the help and thread link. I just got the same recommendation from another member and that's good enough for me. I'll see if I can find one locally tomorrow. This may give me the excuse I need to go ahead and install my Stebel horn, LED tail light and black powder coated Motolights.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2009, 12:26 am
Veteran

What the hell you doing with a pos BMW stock battery in a 2006 GT?

You must love slow cranking batteries for some reason?

Yeah. I know. The BMW dealer will give me another pos stocker battery free if I bitch loud enough.

Mack
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2009, 4:35 am

Mine's an 06 and still on the original... gets plenty of use and seems ok... famous last words?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2009, 10:32 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_C
Mine's an 06 and still on the original... gets plenty of use and seems ok... famous last words?
Paul, the stock batteries are known for being less than reliable and the amount of oomph, or lack there of.... that they have in comparison to an Odyssey PC680MJ really does make a huge difference. I kept my stock battery for less than two years even though it still "worked." I've had Odysseys in more than one bike for 5 plus years wintered over in cold harsh climate on a trickle charge and they just kept working well. Can't say the same for the OEM that comes with the bikes.

Your experience may vary of course depending on the batteries environment but the piece of mind that the Odyssey brings is worth every cent. Not having to worry if the bike will start after a cold night in the middle of Nevada thousands of miles from home or some where similar is priceless.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 18th, 2009, 5:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by John06KGT
T-W,

Thanks for the help and thread link. I just got the same recommendation from another member and that's good enough for me. I'll see if I can find one locally tomorrow. This may give me the excuse I need to go ahead and install my Stebel horn, LED tail light and black powder coated Motolights.

John
wow, I had some great english in that last post.

What LED taillight are you installing?

I'm in the market for one.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2009, 12:16 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by three_west
wow, I had some great english in that last post.

What LED taillight are you installing?

I'm in the market for one.
T-W,

I purchased the BMW Supplemental LED Brake Light part number 04 63 00 0 445 578. I've seen a couple of these and they improve the visibility of the bike at night. It has a MSRP of $129.00. If you get this light, you'll also need "Harness B" part number 61 00 0445 580. MSRP for the harness is $39.00. It's a simple install but I'll post the "how to" when I'm finished.

Robert_W,

I couldn't agree more. Good batteries and tires are cheap insurance but the most overlooked items on any vehicle. Thanks.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LED Kit1.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	11010  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2009, 1:09 pm
Addict-oholic

I also have the same BMW LED light and it is well worth the additional warning and visibility in the rear.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2009, 1:19 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
I also have the same BMW LED light and it is well worth the additional warning and visibility in the rear.
Based on the 24 brother speed bike pile up on I-5 yesterday, it sounds like a lot of riders could use this light.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode