Street Vibrations in Reno - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2009, 11:00 am Thread Starter
KJG

Street Vibrations in Reno

I'm headed up to Reno, Nevada from San Francisco for the Annual Street Vibrations event. While it is really geared more towards Harley Davidson riders, it attracts people on all kinds of bikes.

http://www.road-shows.com/street_vibrations.php

I was wondering if anyone else from the Bay Area might be going.

Ken

Ken
[email protected]

1982 Yamaha Vision
2007 BMW K1200GT
2009 BMW K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2009, 4:02 pm
Veteran

I went from So. CA last year via 395. It got really cold over Mammoth Lakes Pass area and some retreated back to Bishop at some freak snowstorm. Good thing the GT can run heated suits. This year is just too hot to go for me.

You got to check out the new Reno H-D dealer while you're there. It's huge! Some "Hang-arounder" inquisitive types will come over and ask about your BMW too. They have their Buell stuff in a new building in back of the same block they are on across from the old one. Some custom bike shop was next to them as well. While I was there, two stretch limo's showed up and the driver went in and was renting bikes ($125 day and you could rent three different ones in the same day to ride on for the same price!) for whoever was in their limos. Never saw them, but their eye-candy that got out was very nice indeed. They had free food too at some spot under a canopy around noon.

I need to spend more time in Virginia City next time. Road looks pretty twisty on the maps into Reno from there (i.e. northern route), but it's nicely paved and in pretty good shape compared to some CA roads. Only warning I got from a local who said the steep and off-camber streets downhill from Virginia City into their neighborhood are really a mess for a motorcycle and many have dumped their bikes trying to negotiate them. It's basically built on the side of a steep hill for access to the mines.

If your brazen enough - and hide your credit card and wallet from "the sales wimmen" - you can ask at any of the whorehouses in Mound House and get the best spots to stop at in Virginia City (hint: hit the buzzer twice else a line-up may be called and just tell them "You are thirsty"). You will be approached by a working gal and they have a very good local grasp of local area folklore and wisdom and can be quiet enlightening over a $4-$5 coke or beer. I collected some of their business cards and "menus" (some are quite funny!) and did a lot of lying once back at work. Ended up finding out one of my relatives, Jack Dempsey (yes, the heavyweight boxer) was owner of a cathouse (Donna's Ranch, Wells, NV) with some madam he married named Mary (?) in Nevada too. He'd fight almost anywhere for money: cathouses, bars, ranches and some of hand-me-down b&w photos I have of him in logging camps of him show he had enormous hands. Sort of made for an interesting Xmas dinner conversation. Then, some retired cop owns Sheri's Ranch in Pahrump, NV too. There's a lot of very interesting history buried in Nevada and some of the locals can spin a yarn about it too.

Mack
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2009, 10:29 am
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
There's a lot of very interesting history buried in Nevada and some of the locals can spin a yarn about it too.
Sounds like we need to set up a group "ride". Maybe we can get a volume discount?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2009, 10:56 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Sounds like we need to set up a group "ride". Maybe we can get a volume discount?
Yup...but just like the guys in the I-5 pile up...."GMacks tours" sound like one instance where it pays to be first in line!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2009, 1:19 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
Yup...but just like the guys in the I-5 pile up...."GMacks tours" sound like one instance where it pays to be first in line!
Meese's wife would probably ground him and take his bike away from him if he went with me. I tend to get a bit "Out-of-hand" in Nevada.

But you are right. On a poker run there, I just HAD to pass a bunch of poking-along Harleys to get to the next card pick-up which was at a cathouse on Kit Kat Lane east of Carson City. NHP tagged me and I got pulled over for way over a hundred on the pass. When he asked me "What the hell I was thinking?" I told him, "If I didn't get there before those slow guys I might get stuck with the really ugly one" if I remained at the back of their freight train. He laughed and said he understood, but asked me "If I knew where I was heading?" I did and checked the places out beforehand on the laptop. I even got a email from one of the "courtesans" there and thought I might party (ahem!) with her, but she took off with some other hooligan before I go there. Figgers.

Seems the cop didn't turn the ticket in and I was paranoid a long, long time and drove really slow until I got called into the DMV and thought the jig was up. It turned out to be an identity theft thing and they wanted all my info as someone was using my credit unknown to me in Russia and a bunch of Rubles stuff showed up on my cards which took months to get removed. I asked about any outstanding tickets anywhere while there and I was clean. Whew!

Oh, the cops eyes lit up when I told him who I thought I'd like to "party with" (ahem!) while there. Turns out he played pinochle with her on nights where he just had to stop there and check in on the place for safety's sake and said she was really nice. Yeah. Sure. My luck.

She looked exactly like this and loves bikers:

Oh, well. Still too late no thanks to some Harley hooligan who stole her from me.

Mack
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 9:26 am
Veteran

Yowza Mack! She looks like it could be a very expensive trip. Next to what an hour or so with her would run I bet that 100+ mph ticket would have been chump change!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 4:04 pm
Noob

Maybe this yahoo will show up and entertain everyone. Have fun.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=993_1253599325

RichM752
An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:27 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
Yowza Mack! She looks like it could be a very expensive trip. Next to what an hour or so with her would run I bet that 100+ mph ticket would have been chump change!
Robert-

She (Lizzy) didn't cost me a thing and had to be cheaper than my ex, probably nicer too since they have to be.

My biggest worry was the ticket and any subsequent stop. That crap was sort of torture for a year as in "the unknown." Kind'a like driving without insurance and you tend to drive under the radar (no tailgating, speeding, nutso driving, etc.). Then you suddenly get insurance and all hell breaks loose! Maybe I was a wanted man in Nevada and needed to appear in Younstville (?) Courthouse (county seat). Dunno. Not worth the risk. My best friend in junior high used to tear up people's tickets knowing where that next stop would lead (he was the PD chief's son too). Guess it was my payback karma time.

Oh well, no party with the lady in the pic, although she did find it funny I went back later again (via e-mail) to try again later in the evening. That red-light area is next to the local Nevada car junk yards and some damn red pit-bull got loose and chased me down their lane on the GT and he wouldn't let me stop. I hit some damn speed-bump and went airborne so I gave it up to escape the dog which seemed to hate motorcyclists in general and was intent on biting someone - me!

So after giving up and on my way back to Carson City (10 miles or so), I saw where some guy had dumped his Harley at the intersection that goes to some cathouse just north of where I was that is on HBO TV (Moonlight Playcat or Bunnyranch or something like that). He hit some sand on the dark turn and it slid out so I stopped and helped to upright his bike as I had the misfortune the previous day elsewhere when it was running and stalling like mad. He ended up buying me a drink and a spot of food at Chili's in Carson City. After a while, it was sort of funny we both struck out that night. Our poker hands were a bust too.

However, I did strike a bit of gold with three wimmens in two days in the premier Reno houses east of the Sparks, NV Sierra BMW dealer. That sort of wore me out for a long time. Some (apparently) have a lot of stamina, but the multi-country-knowledge masseuse (+extras) I got was a 10 on her massage skills (and I hurt a lot from the ride there too!). She swung her massage table around like it was 8 pounds or less and it wasn't (I just had to play with it having never seen one before closeup). She set it up in their Italian Suite which is way overboard in luxury (colored lights from ceiling showers into a huge jacuzzi, fancy couches and velvet chairs and a 2X king-size Bannister bed and fancy-folded expensive linens. I've seen nice penthouse suites, but that room had to be it. Food was delivered as was silver buckets of iced-wine. It was pure decadence and I could see where some of the very rich and famous stop there in their tour buses to get <ahem!> spoiled. She did some head and neck pushes and twists where my helmet just had wore me down and it was a "good feeling pain" if you've ever felt it. I also met the madam Susan Austin of both the houses and her world-search for furnishings and art which is all over the place. Nice lady (never would have guessed her occupation) who also rides and we discussed roads we've been on, sites, and even shared a common rescue family that seems to help everyone on one road nearby.

Later that evening....
Before I left, I got tipped off that the local sheriff or NHP was hiding down the road awaiting anyone who did anything that would allow them a stop and maybe lead to a DUI. Since I generally carry a BAC meter for my own good (I told you I can get out of hand - Irish nature I guess!) I decided to sit in the bar and drink coffee and water while discussing politics and whatever with the graveyard shift girls and crew.

While I was awaiting the BAC to lower (it does seem to take take a long time to drop to <0.02 BAC), some woman pushing a young man (20-30ish) in a wheelchair came in and a line-up was called by the shift manager. Turns out the guy came back from overseas and was almost a quadriplegic probably from a bomb or mine. I never found out if the woman pushing him in the wheelchair was his mom or a paid caregiver, but the line-up happened and the girl he picked was all happy and they rolled off down some hallway. One girl who told me about it said it was sad and he has been there before, but that was also an aspect of their job where a lot of outside women wouldn't even look at him or give him the time of day. That sort of changed my opinion of "working girls" and their occupation.

As I said, Nevada folklore is very interesting indeed and I need to get back and explore some more.

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode