Install Synto Brake/Clutch Levers on 08 K1200GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2009, 12:30 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Question Install Synto Brake/Clutch Levers on 08 K1200GT

Has anybody gone through the process of replacing the stock brake and clutch levers on a 2008 K1200GT replacing them with Synto levers sold by Pirate's Lair? If there are any pictures out there on how to do this properly, that would be terrific. I was going to ask Max BMW's technicians to do it for me, but if the process is not full of any nasty surprises, I would like to attempt it on my own.

Thank you very much for any advice.

Please ride safely!

Peter

Peter Fiedler
Boxford, MA

Adventurin Silver
2008 K1200GT
White
2009 R1200GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 19th, 2009, 2:50 pm
Veteran

Do it yourself and get back to us on it. If I get some, I'll do it myself as it would take my local dealer a month to do it and they would probably call in tech support too.

No doubt they'd take a file to them and scratch off the color coating too if they didn't fit just right. There was something on the forum about some screw on the clutch side that may need an adjustment? Might not be needed on these since they seem more adjustable than stock.

What color scheme are you picking out?

Mack
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2009, 12:17 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Mack,

Thanks. I might Google to see if there's any advice out there on the proper way to do this. Not much in terms of information comes with the levers. They're pretty nice looking and are far more adjustable then stock.

My K is Adventurin Silver and I went with the dark gray levers with black adjusters. Gold levers just aren't my style!

When I get started on the project I'll take photos and then post them to the forum for others. Was hoping somebody else had already taken the plunge, but no responses just yet.

Thanks again for the reply.

Peter

Peter Fiedler
Boxford, MA

Adventurin Silver
2008 K1200GT
White
2009 R1200GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2009, 12:33 pm
WMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfiedler
SNIP...

When I get started on the project I'll take photos and then post them to the forum for others. Was hoping somebody else had already taken the plunge, but no responses just yet.

Thanks again for the reply.

Peter
Peter,
That will be great as I have a set on order which hopefully will be delivered in a week or so. Any info in advance is going to be appreciated :-).
Bill
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2009, 1:39 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfiedler
....I went with the dark gray levers with black adjusters. Gold levers just aren't my style!
Peter, that color selection was mine as well. Just wondering what you were thinking. The gold, blue and red are a bit much.

Let us know how it goes.

Mack
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2009, 2:59 pm

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showth...ighlight=synto

grifscoots

I have those levers and dig them!
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2009, 3:33 pm
Enthusiast

Ugly,

Nice link to the other Synto thread but what you needed to do was put out an A.P.B. asking Grif directly how difficult the install was. I too, was thinking of parting with the next $300 that was burning a hole in my pocket for a set.

So Great Grif: Can you give us the skinny on the Synto lever install? I know it was likely easy for you to pull off but what about us lesser mortals? Any special tools needed? Caveats? Gotchas? And would you plop down another $300 again for your next GT?

David
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpancerz
Ugly,

Nice link to the other Synto thread but what you needed to do was put out an A.P.B. asking Grif directly how difficult the install was.
Duly noted.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:49 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Check out this thread from BMWON:

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39805

Fantastic images of how to install new levers on a K1200GT. Not sure I want to take this on. A trip to Max's BMW in Hampton, NH is on the schedule for this Saturday. I'll try and snap a few shots of the technician doing the job and see if that helps the rest of you.

Thanks again for the feedback on the question.

Please ride safely!

Peter

Peter Fiedler
Boxford, MA

Adventurin Silver
2008 K1200GT
White
2009 R1200GS
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 5:16 pm
Enthusiast

Great link there Peter. Amazing how many of these various forums we all subscribe to!

If you're mechanically inclined in the least and study, study, STUDY those diagrams to get smart before the install, I would think things would go smoothly. However, if you don't want to mess up your GT, I certainly understand. Figure the work at Max will likely be two billable hours or more? Cha-ching! While any pics you could take to supplement the service CD Semper Fi provided would be nice, I'd put more value in asking the service techs at Max what specific caveats or gotcha's they recommend looking out for. Many times the BMW CDs provide the high level direction but the true nuances of the job come from the dudes who perform every day in the field.

So you didn't opt for the gold levers with red adjusters? Heresy! Would also love to hear your impressions of the Syntos after installation as well as requisite pictures of your GT for I share the same Adventurine Silver bike as you.

Regards!

David

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode