2 dozen motorcycles crash I-5 Portland, OR - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2009, 11:24 am Thread Starter
Addict

2 dozen motorcycles crash I-5 Portland, OR

For those that didn't hear about this yet, here's a link to the article posted below.

John

http://www.katu.com/news/59874632.html

WILSONVILLE, Ore. - A leisurely Friday spin down Interstate 5 Friday turned into a LifeFlight ride with critical injuries for two motorcyclists in the Brothers Speed Motorcycle Club.

The motorcyclists have been identified as 48-year-old Herbert Sinclair from Heyburn, Idaho, and 44-year-old David Bowyer from Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. They were transported by LifeFlight to Oregon Health Sciences University and Legacy Emanuel Hospital, respectively.

Oregon State Police troopers are continuing the investigation into Friday afternoon's multi-vehicle traffic crash south of Wilsonville on Interstate 5. Ten motorcyclists traveling together as part of the Brothers Speed Motorcycle Club was injured, two critically.

At 2:45 p.m. Friday, a pack of 26 motorcycles from the Brothers Speed Motorcycle Club were traveling northbound in the left-inside lane near milepost 282 in a formation of two columns when traffic ahead began to come to a stop. The first two motorcycles maneuvered to avoid a collision with a 2005 Toyota 4Runner, police said.

"The rest of the motorcycles could not react in time and crashed into the sport utility vehicle and into each other," according to an Oregon State Police press release. A second vehicle, a 2004 Nissan Pathfinder sport utility vehicle in the center lane, also was struck by one of the motorcycles reportedly attempting to avoid the collisions.

Medical responders arrived and subsequently transported eight motorcyclists by ground ambulance while Sinclair and Bowyer were transported out by LifeFlight, a helicopter transport agency serving the Northwest. Both men remain in critical condition.

Names of three of the other eight individuals injured in the crash are identified are confirmed as 60-year-old Juan Ramon Mata, 40-year-old Chistian Gankema, and 38-year-old Gary Pawson. Each was from Idaho.

The names of the two drivers are not available for release.

Interstate 5 northbound lanes were closed for about two hours before one lane was opened. All lanes of Interstate 5 were open by 6 p.m.

Oregon State Police troopers were assisted at the scene by Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue, Clackamas County Sheriff's Office, the Oregon Department of Transportation, Aurora Fire Department, Canby Fire Department, Wilsonville Police Department and Marion County Sheriff's Office.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2009, 12:31 pm
Veteran

That's one reason I now avoid group rides, although some were fun at times.

We were in a couple of dinner rides that went bad. One was a Harley who high-sided when a ladder fell off a pickup truck and his Harley's back-end swung around and he was flying airborne next to me like Superman. Semi-truck set his brakes and blocked the lane to keep him from getting run over. Another was a Gold Wing group where the leader disappeared over the hill and he and his wife were spread out on the highway once we cleared the hill and saw the mess a couple of seconds later. He said it was an animal he dodged and down they went and destroyed the Wing.

Another was a guy on a bagger who loved to split between a row of bikes in the same lane (three wide) and up to the front. I watched several pull off the road and just wait it out until the mess thinned out. They all left at different times to avoid the 3-wide parade back home.

It's just too much testosterone sometimes to want to race, or the issue of keep looking for someone behind you has disappeared from your rear-view mirrors is too much to take.

I'm almost willing to bet the bikers in the I-5 incident will all be found at fault for following too close with insufficient braking distance even if the SUV locked the brakes up at 70 mph intentionally.

Mack
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 20th, 2009, 10:30 pm

Interstate 5

And further, what makes the 'v' twin crowd ride 'formations' and 5 to 10 deep is beyond me. Not that BMW riders are except from doing this but generally speaking its the twin cylinder tassel wearing cereal bowl helmet wearing people that are running down the road in this fashion.
Hopefully everyone recovers from the mess on the Interstate, and maybe 2 things will happen. They learn from the mistake, and tell others not to do it.

my.02 worth...for what its worth

kbikeinbc
07 k1200gt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2009, 7:07 am

Different strokes

As Sly wisely sang - different strokes for different folks. But, no question that group riding robs a rider of all the advantages of being on a bike & amplifies the disadvantages.

In any event, my hopes for everyone's recovery out there in OR.

K100RS 1985
2008 GS Adventure
S1000RR
KTM 525EXC
Keeps me off the streets
Keeps BMW in the black
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 21st, 2009, 10:15 am
Veteran

Geez.... Am I reading this right? I've seen the type all my life but how the hell are all but 2 not able to react it time? And the first two at that? Seems they should have been the first to go. Just goes to re-enforce every stereotype that I've ever had for that crowd. Hope they make it.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode