Boots! Vendramini vs. Sidi? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 6:39 pm Thread Starter

Boots! Vendramini vs. Sidi?

I'm looking to replace my BMW Allround boots with something better - I'm particularly interested in crush resistance. They will primarily be used for touring on the GT, with one or two track days per year on the Ducati. I've narrowed my choices to the Sidi Vertigo Rain (http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...s--507706.html) and the Vendramini Marathon Steel (http://www.roadrunner.travel/article-6465.php). The price difference is not an issue. I'm interested in protection, comfort for different weather conditions, and walkability while off the bike. Vendramini appears to use a steel insert system with an anticrush rubber sole, whereas Sidi uses more of an exoskeleton type system. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 7:30 pm
Enthusiast

Have you looked at the Daytona boots? They make some fine protective boots too. Just a thought. I've got Vendramini, Sidi, and Daytona boots. I wear the Daytonas the most.

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 8:25 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtogt
I'm looking to replace my BMW Allround boots with something better - I'm particularly interested in crush resistance. They will primarily be used for touring on the GT, with one or two track days per year on the Ducati. I've narrowed my choices to the Sidi Vertigo Rain (http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...s--507706.html) and the Vendramini Marathon Steel (http://www.roadrunner.travel/article-6465.php). The price difference is not an issue. I'm interested in protection, comfort for different weather conditions, and walkability while off the bike. Vendramini appears to use a steel insert system with an anticrush rubber sole, whereas Sidi uses more of an exoskeleton type system. Any thoughts?

I have a pair of Vertigo's. Great protection and very comfortable on the bike. For walking around off the bike..not so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 8:36 pm
Enthusiast

Here is a link to the Daytona boots: http://www.helimot.com/shopbootsdisp...d=19&cat=Boots

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 9:43 pm
Veteran

Texas Steer work boots from Goodwill...........

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2009, 11:12 pm
Veteran

I've had many pair of boots over the years, including a pair of Sidis...don't remember the model. However I've had a pair of Vendramini non steel Marathons for 2 years now and from day one they have been EXCEPTIONAL ! Hands down the most comfortable boot I've ever tried. I've put over 40k miles in nothing but them. From snow to rain to 120 degrees in Death Valley and every thing in between. Walking around is great, though I wouldn't want to hike too far in hot weather. Day to day on and off the bike, getting gas, restaurants etc, not a problem. Not too hot and plenty warm into the 20's with thicker socks. I've got fairly wide feet....E to EE....somewhere in that zone.....no problems. Fit was great right out of the box. Once a year I mink oil them real well....clean them regularly with a damp cloth and no problems with water leakage. The only fault I can find with them is some of the flexible reflective material where the top of the boot is connected above the back of the heel has flaked and worn off. No big deal really the boots aren't negatively affected in any way except for some very minor reflective area. When these do finally go I would buy another pair without hesitation.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 12:07 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtogt
I have been using a pair of Sidi Evo Rain;s for the past 2 year and they are very nice on.
I went the "rain" path because no-one likes riding in wet boots right? Well they definitely keep the rain out but they also do a very good job of keeping the sweat in!
I dont know what the weather conditions are like where you are but it is sub tropical where i live and i while they are a great fitting and finished boot, they are very warm and dont ventilate.
I dont like boots that make me look like a Power Ranger but I think that I would go for something with some ventilation next time.

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 6:43 am
Veteran

I've owned Marathon Steels for three riding seasons and they are by far the most comfortable (on and off the bike), all-weather boot I own. They breath exceptionally well and are equally comfortable in cold weather as hot. I've had absolutely no complaint with their water-proofness either despite a small design flaw.

The lower ratchet strap can tend to want to poke its way into an overlapped, leather seam around the ankle. It takes no effort to guide it over it so it doesn't, but I didn't notice this for many a mile and as a result the strap has penetrated that seam, breaking the threads. They don't leak there and I think it would be impossible to sew without damage to the inner liner, so I've left it alone. Now that I know better, the same has not happened on the other boot. And now that you know, you can prevent it and enjoy an otherwise, awfully wicked pair of boots.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2009, 7:09 pm
2 heads are better than 1

Frey Daytona RoadStar GTX boots. I've worn a pair for 7 years and way beyond 100,000 miles (including totaling one bike in them) and they've been the best boots I've ever owned. Comfortable all day, highly adjustable to fit you specifically, Gortex lined to be waterproof, excellent protection. I can't imagine owning anything different, and I wore Sidis and some other brands before them.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2009, 7:44 pm Thread Starter

It sounds like the Marathons have a comfort edge - but what about protection? Any firsthand experiences? Has anyone compared the two in terms of protection? Unfortunately, I will have to mailorder either one as there is no local place to try either one on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode