Stebel Horn Install 06 w/servo brakes - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2009, 9:36 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Stebel Horn Install 06 w/servo brakes

While installing a Stebel Horn on a KGT is certainly not a new subject, I immediately found a problem when I went to install a Stebel on my 2006 KGT. The bike I purchased came with electric servo assist brakes. The servo is occupying the space where it appears the horn is normally installed. This being out of question, I had to find a new location and I was on the verge of giving up entirely until I found what I think is the perfect spot that may work for ANY KGT if you're willing to try.

BMW didn't fool around when they laid the skin over this bike and there's little to no room for any extras underneath. But I found a small pocket right in the nose of the fairing on the left side. To get to it, I had to remove the windscreen motor assembly. Holding the horn in the only position possible I estimated what a mounting bracket would have to look like and where it would mount. I then cut up a Strong Ties bracket purchase at the local box store and started cutting and bending.

After I got close, I started a new one from a fresh section of metal plate to make the final. To keep the bolt from rotating while tightening the nylock nut on the other side, I ground the back side off the bolt head into a V to fit into the corresponding V groove in the horn mounting tab.

With the horn in position, I marked the bracket where one of the windscreen retaining bolts mounts and drilled a hole in the bracket. The windscreen assembly was reinstalled and there was enough thread on the original mounting bolt to attached the horn with a lockwasher and nut on the backside. The darn thing fits perfectly and doesn't touch any vitals. It's also oriented the right direction with the horn blowing directly forward.

Next I spliced into the existing horn wiring and soldered the wiring going to the relay. I found a nice place for the relay and finished the wiring harness.

The only mod to the bike itself at this point is the splice into the original horn wiring.

Attached are a few pictures that I hope are good enough to show where the horn now resides.

I haven't installed the skin yet because I still have to install as set of Motolights, an extra LED tail light and I'm modifying the accessory plug for direct to battery charging with the factory BMW charger (completely bypassing the CANBUS).

I'll post the installations of the remaining items as I complete them.

Cheers!

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Right_side.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	11038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left_side.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	11039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stebel_Horn_Location1.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	11040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stebel_Horn_Location2.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	11041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bracket1.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	252.4 KB
ID:	11042  

Name:	Bolt.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	11043   Click image for larger version

Name:	BracketMount1.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	11044   Click image for larger version

Name:	HornInstall1.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	11045   Click image for larger version

Name:	HornInstall2.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	172.1 KB
ID:	11046   Click image for larger version

Name:	HornInstall3.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	186.4 KB
ID:	11047  

Name:	HornWiringSplice.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	11048   Click image for larger version

Name:	RelayInstall.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	11049  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2009, 11:09 pm
Veteran

Okay. I'm still pondering where the damn horn is really mounted at from the photos. I cannot even find those locations on the "Best Generation" switchgear (i.e. "the ones that work!") so I don't know if it matters. I rarely use my horn anyway, and now that I think about it, it's too late for the numb-skull cager who is already long gone out of range or on the cell phone to honk at anyway...like they'd even notice or care by then.

Area under the windshield is much better used for HID lighting stuff than a horn anyway.

Mack
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2009, 11:20 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Sorry Mack. Maybe this shot will help.

And while you maybe right about the cagers, I know that my stock horn was worthless when I needed to let someone know they were attempting to use the space I was currently using on my last road trip.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HornInstall4.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	11050  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2009, 11:51 am
Addict

NICE!!!

I mounted mine on top of the ABS unit, but it was tight...

If I can find the picture I'll post it. I think yours is a much better spot!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2009, 12:59 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

There are a couple of places which some of us have used to mount the Stebel. Here's a good piece out of the Hall of Wisdom:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showpo...4&postcount=17
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 27th, 2009, 4:48 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Chuck,

Thanks for the link. I admit that I didn't consider mounting it under the air horn but I'll keep that spot in mind for future use. Nice work too!

John
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2009, 12:25 pm
Rookie

Good stuff always nice to have more options. This is the project that i have yet to do and It's been sitting on the shelf while the other goodies have been installed.
GMack makes a point but i still would like to have the DBs just to be able to blast if needed, and sometimes it just makes you feel good to have if needed. Also to let some of those less 'in-tuned' with their surroundings know your coming or next to them or they to you, esp when lane splitting. Although they could always swerve into you instead of away.

Thanks for the update!

Ride Safe!

Mark N
San Clemente, CA

Some say its a matter of where you been, I say its a matter of where you're goin'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode