Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Chesapeake, VA, USA
Stebel Horn Install 06 w/servo brakes
While installing a Stebel Horn on a KGT is certainly not a new subject, I immediately found a problem when I went to install a Stebel on my 2006 KGT. The bike I purchased came with electric servo assist brakes. The servo is occupying the space where it appears the horn is normally installed. This being out of question, I had to find a new location and I was on the verge of giving up entirely until I found what I think is the perfect spot that may work for ANY KGT if you're willing to try.
BMW didn't fool around when they laid the skin over this bike and there's little to no room for any extras underneath. But I found a small pocket right in the nose of the fairing on the left side. To get to it, I had to remove the windscreen motor assembly. Holding the horn in the only position possible I estimated what a mounting bracket would have to look like and where it would mount. I then cut up a Strong Ties bracket purchase at the local box store and started cutting and bending.
After I got close, I started a new one from a fresh section of metal plate to make the final. To keep the bolt from rotating while tightening the nylock nut on the other side, I ground the back side off the bolt head into a V to fit into the corresponding V groove in the horn mounting tab.
With the horn in position, I marked the bracket where one of the windscreen retaining bolts mounts and drilled a hole in the bracket. The windscreen assembly was reinstalled and there was enough thread on the original mounting bolt to attached the horn with a lockwasher and nut on the backside. The darn thing fits perfectly and doesn't touch any vitals. It's also oriented the right direction with the horn blowing directly forward.
Next I spliced into the existing horn wiring and soldered the wiring going to the relay. I found a nice place for the relay and finished the wiring harness.
The only mod to the bike itself at this point is the splice into the original horn wiring.
Attached are a few pictures that I hope are good enough to show where the horn now resides.
I haven't installed the skin yet because I still have to install as set of Motolights, an extra LED tail light and I'm modifying the accessory plug for direct to battery charging with the factory BMW charger (completely bypassing the CANBUS).
I'll post the installations of the remaining items as I complete them.