Another front wheel bites the dust - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2009, 1:51 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Another front wheel bites the dust

Driving to work, changing lanes on the freeway and hit a pot hole hard. Bike started to shimmy a bit . Got off the freeway and saw a nice dent in the front wheel. It held air so I limped it home. These pot wholes are between lanes near the expanision joints in the concrete bed. I can see how Cal Trans has been trying to fill them, but there are at least 5-6 unfilled.

Called insurance.
I'm guessing:
850 for the rim.
Probabaly a new tire at 200.
Labor probably 2-3 hours. 200.
SO I'm guessing 1250 or so. I have a $500 deductible.

Hmmmm 3rd rim this summer.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2009, 3:49 pm
Veteran

Yep. These CA roads are getting pretty torn up and some holes look more like earthquake CGI stuff from a movie. They did a completely new paving down to about 6" or so near me 3 months ago and it is already getting potholes and it hasn't even rained or frozen here yet. Might be some new "Green, Low-Carbon Footprint Binder" compound they are putting in the asphalt - but it sure isn't lasting very long.

Good luck on your new rim. Oh, isn't there some wheelwright in your town? The BMW rims are pretty malleable. There have been several photos somewhere that looked pretty bad, but got straightened up pretty good. Some car guys around here put on a $2,000 per rim and then a inch thick tire and are constantly getting them re-banged out all the time according to my tire guy. Some franchise operations even come to your house now with a trailer setup and do it while you wait. They won't touch it if they think it's total. Tom Porter's BMW (Independent) south of you may know of one.

Here's one in Sacramento (not portable though): BMW Frame and Wheel Straightening

Mack
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2009, 5:05 pm Thread Starter
Addict

THanks mack, think I'm going to let insurance deal with it......

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2009, 11:50 am
Addict

Sorry to hear it John!

You might try to make Cal Trans buy it, If there was a complaint on file already, it's on their dime...

I can't see it being that much time though...I would think less than an hour for swapping the discs, but who knows?

By the way, where was this? 580?

Also, if you do find a good wheel place let me know! My RT spare needs straightening.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2009, 4:28 pm

In Tennessee a friend of mine had the exact thing happen, went to the contractors who were working on the road (I guess his was a big road cut, not an existing "force of nature pothole") and after some hemming and hawing was able to work something out with them. What it came down to was that if the repair was going to be more than X ($1000??) they would have to pass it off to the insurance company and it would be off in insurance-land. If it was less, they could pay it out of pocket. His estimate was something like $1040 so he told the guy $999 would be fine, and it was done.

Not sure you can work this angle but who knows, maybe it would work.

Mike
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2009, 7:23 pm Thread Starter
Addict

580 in Castro Valley Between the BART station and Strobridge going west.

I might call CalTrans.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeniciaRT
Sorry to hear it John!

You might try to make Cal Trans buy it, If there was a complaint on file already, it's on their dime...

I can't see it being that much time though...I would think less than an hour for swapping the discs, but who knows?

By the way, where was this? 580?

Also, if you do find a good wheel place let me know! My RT spare needs straightening.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2009, 9:27 pm
Noob

If it's your 3rd time this summer you should have this drill down..right? Have you filed with your insurance all 3 times?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2009, 11:04 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkinsey
If it's your 3rd time this summer you should have this drill down..right? Have you filed with your insurance all 3 times?
The first time was high in the Trinity Mtns I hit a rock, took out both rims. Kinda my accidents kind'a happen. Hitting a rock. Insurance covered it.

2 incidences, 3 wheels......

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2009, 8:52 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Something about a rear wheel bearing was out of wack. OK, canno be a rear wheel bearing, but some kind of bearing between the FD and the rear wheel..... Hmmmmm

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2009, 10:10 pm
Noob

Oh boy I remember the California potholes from when I lived there. Those suckers can be deep and huge. I hit a few but opened up the throttle to ease the impact in the front wheel and the back wheel luckily always came out okay. I did however manage to bend a rim on a really nice chrome Mercedes AMG wheel and that really made a dent in the ole pocket book.

In the area I live in now in MI the city will reimburse you for damage if caused by a pothole within the city limits.

Jason

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode