Crash Bars for the KGT?? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2009, 4:21 pm Thread Starter

Crash Bars for the KGT??

Just saw an experienced rider tip his R1200 on its side. The only damage was a broken mirror...

I began to think what would happen to my gorgeous '09 K 1300 GT... ouch$$$...

Anyone heard of crash bars - or any type of protection for the KGT bikes??

Thanks

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2009, 4:36 pm
Enthusiast

Frame Sliders.
http://pirateslair.net/K1200GTcrash.htm

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2009, 7:14 pm
Rookie

Just so you know, this is what happens-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

I've looked at those frame sliders a hundred times... I guess I could get over having to drill a hole in the fairing, but I still would like to see what would happen in a low-side if a bike were so equipped. It just seems to me that it doesn't project out far enough to prevent the damage.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2009, 8:11 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
I've looked at those frame sliders a hundred times... I guess I could get over having to drill a hole in the fairing, but I still would like to see what would happen in a low-side if a bike were so equipped. It just seems to me that it doesn't project out far enough to prevent the damage.
+1
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2009, 8:51 pm
Veteran

Looks like about three pieces of cheap BMW plastic and maybe costing $1400 if you do it yourself? Body shop maybe half of that on a Bondo fill and re-paint.

If you dump it on the right side, it shoots up to about $2850 for the friggin' muffler too and the more expensive glove box side of the fairing which may crimp or cut the clutch line too. If they succeed on planting it on its topside, then maybe $4,500 for windshield motor and assorted stuff if the dealer does it all. Then you may get an $700 increase in your annual premium too which resorts to a $1000 deductible off the $500 one, a search for new insurance carrier, and "A pay it yer'self clause if you damage it yourself." So now I pay for it myself incl. deductible and whatever else it costs to avoid getting dropped or pushed into the assigned-risk category.

Not that I'd know anything about that stuff personally.... HA!

Mack
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2009, 9:30 pm
Addict-oholic

I had a smilar slide on my 2006 on the left side dsropping the bike to avoid bambi. The total plastic replacements ran almost $2K, plus a new seat, windshield, pegs, bar ends, grab bars etc and labor to replace the motolight etc.. over $5K and insurance paid it all less my $1K deuctible. I still keep the $1K deductble and it costs just aroun $150.00 per year. if i go to a lower deductible, it gets impractical.

You still need collision insurance on these bikes as you could end up with a total. Usually, it pays to do the repair yourself ( or at least pay for it outside insurance).

Scraped plastic is not a pretty sight.

In fact on my current bike, I got the side cases slightly scratched going through a dirt road with stiff brush growing in the middle of the path. After a paint job, I intend to put clear plastic on the cases as they seem the most vulnerable.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2009, 12:04 am
Enthusiast

Insurance.

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2009, 4:08 am
Noob

Some more feedback on how useful R&G crash protectors are:

Went down on LHS (with protectors fitted):
Rear Left Panier lid replaced.
Left Faring was OK.
Headlight faring and mirrors still got damaged, the protectors didn't work for these.

Bike dropped on RHS (before protectors fitted):
again headlight faring replaced, and RHS faring replaced (the one with the glove box)
And a new clutch cable fitted, I can confirm it does get 'nicked'.

From experience the protectors only seem to protect the faring panels, as stated above there are other parts that stick out beyond them, and the way the bike falls, it seems to balance on the protectors, then tips and the headlight faring and mirrors then hit the ground.

With the protectors fitted, it saved the cost of replacing the faring. The protector needed replacement (only sold in pairs), and the remaining panels still had to replaced.
The good news is that cost of the K1200 GT panels have dropped, making it a less expensive experience.

One down side is that you do have to drill the faring, and when it comes to trading the bike in, the BMW dealer could do you for replacing the panels, to restore the bike to original state, as was the case here.

Overall they do work, but not as well as you might think, and it could cost you 2 new panels and labour when it comes to trading the bike in, which would be the same cost of droping it twice. I did not fit them to my K1300GT.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2009, 8:27 am
Rookie

The insurance estimate I got (see pics) was for $2300.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode