Has BMW rectified these FAULTS before I purchase K1300GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2009, 3:36 pm Thread Starter

Has BMW rectified these FAULTS before I purchase K1300GT

I currently ride a Yamaha FZ6 (sport-touring); lately all my riding is exclusively touring. For this, I am seriously considering buying a K1300GT. I have only sat on the K-GT as the dealer did not have it prep'ed for riding. However I have taken the K1300S for a few hours of riding. I am confident the K1300GT is the "right" bike for me.

My only hesitation at this point is concern over some of the reported faults with the K-series as posted on this forum. As this forum lists:
- Stalling of engine (major concern).
- Faulting wiring on switch cluster (minor concern).
- I have assumed other faults as reported to be isolated or of older vintage.

I am most concerned about the chronic and popular problem of stalling, as I read. I would be purchasing a 2010 model of the K1300GT.

1) How popular is the stalling fault on the 2009 model year of the K1300GT? Has it been fixed?
2) What is known if any, or assumed, of the stalling fault for the 2010 model year of that bike?
3) Have the other problems (wiring, foaming) since been rectified by BMW?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2009, 5:57 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeleton
I currently ride a Yamaha FZ6 (sport-touring); lately all my riding is exclusively touring. For this, I am seriously considering buying a K1300GT. I have only sat on the K-GT as the dealer did not have it prep'ed for riding. However I have taken the K1300S for a few hours of riding. I am confident the K1300GT is the "right" bike for me.

My only hesitation at this point is concern over some of the reported faults with the K-series as posted on this forum. As this forum lists:
- Stalling of engine (major concern).
- Faulting wiring on switch cluster (minor concern).
- I have assumed other faults as reported to be isolated or of older vintage.

I am most concerned about the chronic and popular problem of stalling, as I read. I would be purchasing a 2010 model of the K1300GT.

1) How popular is the stalling fault on the 2009 model year of the K1300GT? Has it been fixed?
2) What is known if any, or assumed, of the stalling fault for the 2010 model year of that bike?
3) Have the other problems (wiring, foaming) since been rectified by BMW?
I can just speak for my case -- I bought my 2009 K1300GT 2 months ago as a demo bike with 3000 miles. I have the stalling problem, just got a recall for the brake fluid foaming and the left handed ESA switch failed (took 3 trips to the dealer to get it fixed) and the turn signal still does not self-cancel. According to info on the internet there is a fix for the stalling but it requires tearing apart the fuel injection system. My dealer is clueless on any fixes. I expected much more for the price of this bike -- especially given the excellent success I've had with BMW automobiles (I'm on my 6th one). Maybe they have gotten their act together for 2010, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. Sorry, but I would have gone a different direction if I knew how bush-league BMW is with their new bikes.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2009, 9:25 pm
Addict-oholic

I purchased my bike in April. The stalling issue reared its ugly head in August on a very hot day. It has cooled down and I have had only once incident in a month. The left turn switch was replaced last week. But I do have a stuck fuel guage issue since day one. The bike has been in service for this issue twice and it still is not solved even though the service manger said " BMW has fixed the fuel guage to spec and nothing else can be done under warranty"

BS. I am going to arrange to have it fixed again as I do not have a functioning fuel guage. If it is not fixed, I will ask for the dealer to buy my bike back under the State lemon law.

I know most bikes are not having issues, but this is my 2nd GT, having had the 2006 with airbox issues. I really thought that BMW had solved all the old issues, but lo and behold, we have new problems. I just don't think BMW tests these bikes enough before full production or is using crappy suppliers with no quality control...

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2009, 10:36 pm
Addict

I've got a 2006 and LOVE it.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2009, 11:03 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
I purchased my bike in April. The stalling issue reared its ugly head in August on a very hot day. It has cooled down and I have had only once incident in a month. The left turn switch was replaced last week. But I do have a stuck fuel guage issue since day one. The bike has been in service for this issue twice and it still is not solved even though the service manger said " BMW has fixed the fuel guage to spec and nothing else can be done under warranty"

BS. I am going to arrange to have it fixed again as I do not have a functioning fuel guage. If it is not fixed, I will ask for the dealer to buy my bike back under the State lemon law.

I know most bikes are not having issues, but this is my 2nd GT, having had the 2006 with airbox issues. I really thought that BMW had solved all the old issues, but lo and behold, we have new problems. I just don't think BMW tests these bikes enough before full production or is using crappy suppliers with no quality control...
I had a couple of fuel strips installed in my 2006. That issue seems to have settled down for now and I get the yellow light maybe 40 miles out, rather than it won't show full when it is half full. That was pretty much a minor issue to me.

Then came the damn airbox issues which really suck: high-idle sticking, BBS, and stalling, and in that order. Low-speed control was arduous and it could just shut off it some hair-pin turn. I think (after three times in now) it's been remedied - I hope. Least I also got the idle-servo plunger piece replaced as well as the airbox, after they fettled it a few months into ownership a couple of years prior at another dealer.

Some software updates have been added, maybe 3 so far. I don't know which as they don't tell me and the GS-911 isn't forthcoming on what the versions are from what I see on this forum verses what the GS-911 reports.

I also added the Power FRK thing thinking this is some "Grif P.O.S. snake-oil crap that I'm gonna regret" and now the bike is running well after 3 years of hell. The female end of the fuel Quick-Disconnect I could have lived without.

No clutch issues as many seem to have (knocking on wood) other than one busted line (right side tip-over) and assorted other tip-overs and insurance issues too. I don't feather the clutch and am pretty much off all the time as I learned coming off the dry-clutch RT where the CA CHP smoked clutches every 6 months (they seem to like to ride them and slip them a lot).

Oh, if you haven't heard it yet from your dealer, "They all do that!" which also means, in most cases, your dealer is lying to you.

It takes a lot of fortitude to stick with the bike and make it work. Some give up too soon, imho. It ain't perfect - even in one or two years - but there is a "chance" it can be made to be if you stick to it long enough and have some dealers you can trust and work though doing it (I've been through 8-9 now sitting here thinking about it. Wow!). Some dealers and their techs are really amazing(ly bad). When I was asked at trade-in "Who did your service?" and I replied "Me." He said "Good." Seems shortcuts are the norm at some dealers - or skipped entirely. I dunno. I've seen some scary stuff done at some dealers that makes me wonder sometimes, especially bikes bought after a "Death Certificate" is attached to the salvage certificate by the DMV.

Good luck.

Mack
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2009, 8:44 pm
Noob

Not every BMW bike is a lemon -

Have been riding a demo K1300GT for a month. Have put 1k miles on it - if I were to sum up my experience with the bike ......it would be SUPERB !

It has stalled twice, and both times approaching a stop light .... a non-issue.

Overall the balance between comfort, power, versatility, is exceptional.

Like many owners I am detail oriented and have high expectations of the bike. So far I have been very pleased, and am hopeful a fix is coming at some point in the future. Right now I will remain optimistic and enjoy the ride and beautiful scenery.

Scott - Portsmouth, New Hampshire

www dot JacksonEstate dot com
( NH Vacation Rental House )

" Getting back into the saddle again after 17 years "
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2009, 9:00 pm
Rookie

I've had my k1300 since march. Everything was great for about 2 months then had the switch problem. Took almost 6 weeks to get a replacement in. Started running poorly..dealer did an ECU reset and that helped. Got a stall in the midst of a left turn in traffic. Left heated grip stopped working...been in the shop a week and a half now trying to get that nailed down and do the "fix" for the stalling. All told since I bought the bike its spent about 3 weeks sitting in the shop. I don't like the feeling that my next trip out may just leave me stranded. I had a Honda VTX previously and didn't have any problems what so ever in 2 years. Yes I know I have a lot more bike but don't like this uneasy feeling every time I go out.
I understand the "all bikes have their issues" mantra but at 20+K for a bike I do expect more.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2009, 7:10 am
Veteran

This being the internet and a forum you can count on finding a higher majority of dissatisfied owners than satisfied ones. This type of media "amplifies" problems. Of that there is no doubt.

I am in the (gotta borrow the word already used) "superb" category. Although my '06 has had a new final drive and the airbox fix, every time I mount this bike, it's love all over again. I have some quite considerable saddle time in the competition's saddles and they are in no way even in the same league.

BMW Motorrad Canada is a good organization. I know some head office folks from bike shows, rallies etc. and they're good, caring folks who know and love these bikes.There are some bush-league (had to borrow that one too) dealers out there for sure (there is in any brand), but the bike is definitely not bush-league in any way. It is the epitome of fine german engineering finesse. Sure it has some glitches, but what high-tech machine doesn't? Is it worth it? Have any of these folks on this forum given up and switched bikes?

I love this bike. It is superb. I don't think you'll have any more regret than I do.

Chris (65,000 km)

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2009, 7:59 am
Enthusiast

I'm with you Chris, I love my 2008 K12GT. Is it perfect? Nope, but it still the best bike I've ever owned and I've owned Japanese, Italian, British, and American. I've also had other BMW's and I like this one the most.

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2009, 11:19 am
Addict-oholic

Yes, I understand, not every bike is perfect. My 2006 needed an airbox to solve the dreaded High Idle and Bucking Bronco syndrome. I t really never was running well. I traded it in for the 1300 this year after 2 fabulous test rides. It really is a much better ride.
Anyway, I don' t want to "live" with a non functioning gas guage AND the stalling issue which only came about recently. The other day, coming home from the dealer 3/4 of the way home on beautiful country rodes for 25 miles, it stalls at a light making a left trun. Damn near got rear ended. It stumbled again this past weekend coming to a stop at a light and again, I was almost bumped by the car behind me.

This is not acceptable and is downright dangerous. Will I continue to "live" with this problem? NO.

I will give my dealer one more try on the gas guage problem and find out what BMW is doing about the stalling issue. I will ask for compensation for future downtime and then that fails and they don't have a permannet fix, I will then pursue getting the bike exchanged or a buy back.

Otherwise, do I like my bike? Yes, I do love it.....( within limitations)

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode