Should I Worry About This? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 1:13 am Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Rebus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Paso Robles, Ca, USA
Posts: 52
Should I Worry About This?

Had a tire puncture at about 80mph on Hwy 41 heading in to Fresno. By the time I pulled off, the tire was completely flat and the rim had bottomed out on something. I didn't notice it but the dealer pointed it out when replacing the tire after I got towed to the shop. Dealer says there is some run out in the rim and it should be replaced as soon as possible. I have put the bike thru its paces and don't feel any effects from the dent. Pressure seems to be holding, although I need to verify this more accurately over time. Normally I would say yes, I should replace it, but the rim alone is about $950, let alone installation.

I want to say thanks to BMW Fresno (Steve in service) for getting me back on the road - this happened on day 1 of a 4 day trip in to the Sierras.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0132.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	11071  

Steve Sylvester
Paso Robles, Ca

'08 K1200GT
Rebus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 1:49 am
Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: , ,
Posts: 2,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebus
Had a tire puncture at about 80mph on Hwy 41 heading in to Fresno. By the time I pulled off, the tire was completely flat and the rim had bottomed out on something. I didn't notice it but the dealer pointed it out when replacing the tire after I got towed to the shop. Dealer says there is some run out in the rim and it should be replaced as soon as possible. I have put the bike thru its paces and don't feel any effects from the dent. Pressure seems to be holding, although I need to verify this more accurately over time. Normally I would say yes, I should replace it, but the rim alone is about $950, let alone installation.

I want to say thanks to BMW Fresno (Steve in service) for getting me back on the road - this happened on day 1 of a 4 day trip in to the Sierras.
I've pounded rims back into shape for less than that photo of yours with a with towel and a 5-pound dead-blow hammer. Go seek out some rim/rebuilder straightener guy. They are known by most car wheel/frame shops, or they can tell you one locally and some come to you with their hydraulic and welding gear in a trailer. They can tell you firsthand if it's re-workable or not (they don't want the liability to tell you otherwise). They can fix you up for about $120 or so and it probably will be more true than a new rim.

Personally, I'm surprised they didn't sell you into the, "We can't mix brands or models or tires and you need to buy two matching tires, a rim, new bearings, seals, and some new brake pads too. Not that I've ever heard them or anyone say, "Your pads (25K) are half worn" - and I still had 80,000+ miles on those original pads before I changed them. <damhik>

I could say more, but I'll bite my tongue...


Mack
GMack is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 10:06 am
Veteran
 
Robert_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Troy, MT, USA
Posts: 1,658
Mack, you just have that bad dealer / mechanic juju thing going on. Not all of them are douches......too many, but not all.

As for the rim......boy that ones borderline to me. If it's holding and you're not getting and funky wear then it might be OK. As long as it doesn't sit in the back of your mind and distract from your riding you're probably OK for a while but I think I'd change it at some point.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!


Robert_W is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 10:20 am
Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 676
+1 to wailing on it with a sledgehammer and towel. I was able to reduce a similar dent to almost nothing that way. The metal is very malleable. For a perfect repair I agree a specialist can fix it better than new. Probably no need to buy a new wheel. IMNSHO.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
lhendrick is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 11:17 am Thread Starter
Rookie
 
Rebus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Paso Robles, Ca, USA
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Personally, I'm surprised they didn't sell you into the, "We can't mix brands or models or tires and you need to buy two matching tires, a rim, new bearings, seals, and some new brake pads too. Not that I've ever heard them or anyone say, "Your pads (25K) are half worn" - and I still had 80,000+ miles on those original pads before I changed them. <damhik>

I could say more, but I'll bite my tongue...


Mack
Down boy! The tires had 5500 mi on them (PR2's) - the rear was not down to the TWI's yet but the tire was wasted from the puncture. The dealer said the front had about 30% tread left and didn't need replacement, although I elected to replace it while I was there because it was starting to cup. I have had nothing but good experiences with Fresno BMW.

Steve Sylvester
Paso Robles, Ca

'08 K1200GT
Rebus is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 3:32 pm
Senior Member
 
Semper_Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Gloucester , MA, USA
Posts: 153
I would change it - you only got two wheels on the bike, what if you hit a pot hole in the wrong (right) way and you have the tire decompress immediately - 950 bucks is cheap then.

your call

2009 KGT1300 Apple Red (mine)
2008 RT Biarritz Blue (mine - sold)
2005 ST Piedmont Red/Light Magnesium (hers)
Luis Roth
BMWMOA #143775 IBA# 35651
Semper_Fi is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 5:44 pm
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper_Fi
I would change it - you only got two wheels on the bike, what if you hit a pot hole in the wrong (right) way and you have the tire decompress immediately - 950 bucks is cheap then.

your call
Agree 100%. What seems worth bodging a fix for on a car is a whole different ballgame on a bike.

Dave
abrasive is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 5:49 pm
Addict
 
hazard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pleasanton, CA, USA
Posts: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebus
Had a tire puncture at about 80mph on Hwy 41 heading in to Fresno. By the time I pulled off, the tire was completely flat and the rim had bottomed out on something. I didn't notice it but the dealer pointed it out when replacing the tire after I got towed to the shop. Dealer says there is some run out in the rim and it should be replaced as soon as possible. I have put the bike thru its paces and don't feel any effects from the dent. Pressure seems to be holding, although I need to verify this more accurately over time. Normally I would say yes, I should replace it, but the rim alone is about $950, let alone installation.

I want to say thanks to BMW Fresno (Steve in service) for getting me back on the road - this happened on day 1 of a 4 day trip in to the Sierras.
Another option besides straightening:
THe dealer in lynchburg has the rear wheel for like 684, Since its the rear, its just mounting and balancing.

I also gotta image when the bike is leaned over the forces pushing on the bead could push it a bit away, I dunno, physics was never my strength.

I just whacked my front rim and it took all night to loose 20 psi.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
hazard is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 7:36 pm
Rookie
 
bruce2000ltc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kansas City, MO, USA
Posts: 56
Your rim damage doesn't look that bad. It doesn't even appear to be close to affecting the bead seating area of the rim. I'd just tap it back into shape, check the tire pressure for a couple of overnights and then never give it another thought.

Bruce Hodges
bruce2000ltc is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 8:10 pm
Addict
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: , TX, USA
Posts: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce2000ltc
Your rim damage doesn't look that bad. It doesn't even appear to be close to affecting the bead seating area of the rim. I'd just tap it back into shape, check the tire pressure for a couple of overnights and then never give it another thought.
+1
smiller is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why you should worry about your quick disconnects voxmagna K1200RS/GT (Classic) 33 Aug 19th, 2011 1:02 pm
Any major problems with 2001 RS (produced in 09/2000)???? kopov260 K1200RS/GT (Classic) 6 Sep 10th, 2009 9:28 pm
Anything to worry about? adontech K1200RS/GT (Classic) 2 May 21st, 2007 7:49 am
Garmin 2820 timg K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 7 Aug 21st, 2006 3:07 pm
horn for GT BrianF K1200RS/GT (Classic) 40 May 3rd, 2006 3:02 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome