Noob 06 K1200GT owner - a few questions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2009, 7:23 am Thread Starter
Noob

Noob 06 K1200GT owner - a few questions

Hi, this site is a wealth of information. I am in the process of buying a used 06 K1200GT with 10,000 km on the clock (my first K bike, I have had GS's forever). The bike runs fine and seems to be in excellent condition, but from reading the information on this site, I have a few minor questions:

How many keys should come with the bike and is there a "special" one which goes with the EWS system on the bike? I have a pair of Ducatis which each have a similar PITA system, when buying a used Ducati you always want the special red key to reprogram the anti theft device if it develops a fault. Does a BMW K bike have something like this red key which I need to ask for from the P.O.?

I notice the "pads" and "brakes" lights come on on the dashboard. It may just need pads (am getting this checked out), but I have also read something about some wires which break or short out (near the calipers?) and create a faulty error signal. Is there a good description of this issue somewhere?

Also, the grips seem slightly warm when the bike is running, even when the grip heater switch is off. Maybe it is just my warm hands (it is really slight), but has anyone ever noticed a similar problem?

From what I can see on this site, the final drive oil changes and the airbox mod cover the rest of it, although is there some power commander type device which might fix the off idle leanness?

I am looking forward to this, but I confess the EWS antenna ring failure issue does make me a bit nervous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2009, 2:04 pm
IBR# 366

Welcome, John.

My '07 came with one metal key, and one plastic "emergency" key. Both have the EWS chip embedded in them. There is no special "red" programming key like you describe. Any reprogramming has to be done by the dealer using their proprietary computer diagnostics system.

The brake pad warnings have been discussed quite a bit around here. But here's the summary:

One side of the rear brake pads has a special cutout to fit a wire loop sensor. As does one side of the front right pads. The left front pads have no sensor. When the brake material wears down, this sensor contacts the rotor and eventually wears through, breaking the circuit and turning on the brake warning light. Hopefully before the pads have worn down to the metal backing plates and damaged the rotor.

Sometimes, this wire itself can break due to bad routing and too-tight zip ties at the factory. That should be a warranty fix. But if you are currently out of warranty, then you can just inspect the end of the wire loop to see if it's worn through and the pads need replacing. If not, then follow the wire up along its path and see if it's kinked or pulled hard at a zip tie location. Some guys have been able to solder the wire back together at the break, but it is a bit fiddly.

EBC does make replacement brake pads for the GT that are high quality and about 1/3rd the cost. But they do not offer replacement wire sensors so you have to either repair it, or go with the factory BMW pads.

Note that early versions of the bike's software won't reset the warning light even if you fix or replace the wire sensors. Later bikes (post '08) will auto-reset, but earlier bikes either need a trip to a dealer or a friend with a GS-911 unit.

I'm not sure about your grips. We've had some indication of the grip and/or seat heaters coming on even when the switches are off, but that's pretty rare. Then again, the ambient temperature in Dubai might have something to do with that.

If you're having fueling problems (rough idle, low-speed jerkiness, hesitation around 3-4K rpms), then look at getting a PowerFRK unit. A search for PowerFRK will give you lots of info.

As for the EWS antenna ring failure, I do think that's been solved. A good dealer should be able to look up your VIN and see if your bike was affected, and if the EWS antenna has been replaced already. But honestly, I have't heard of any of those failures in quite some time now. At least that's one thing that BMW seems to have solved completely.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2009, 4:02 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Many thanks, I will look into whether any EWS warranty work was done. The brake thing seems simple enough, but may require a trip to the dealer to reset. When did final drive drain bolts begin to appear on these bikes?

Does anyone sell a shop manual for the bike or is it too new? Clymer omits this version from their K1200 book, Maybe BMW sells a factory version but it might be a bit large to pack on the bike for a trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2009, 5:08 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnmh
When did final drive drain bolts begin to appear on these bikes?
Sometime during the '08 model year build. It's pretty obvious just by looking at it which version you have.

Quote:
Does anyone sell a shop manual for the bike or is it too new?
There are no aftermarket service manuals available for these bikes. You can get the BMW version, which comes on DVD and only plays on Windows. Thanks to unscrupulous eBay pirates BMW no longer offers the simpler PDF service manuals, so now you have to run their proprietary viewer software. Still, it does offer a lot of useful info, and it packs very small (assuming you have a laptop available ).

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2009, 9:05 pm

Quote:
Does anyone sell a shop manual for the bike or is it too new? Clymer omits this version from their K1200 book, Maybe BMW sells a factory version but it might be a bit large to pack on the bike for a trip.
clymer does have one that has the 06 GT in it along with some others Manual. mine should be here latter this week
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2009, 9:52 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxWhiteKnight
clymer does have one that has the 06 GT in it along with some others Manual. mine should be here latter this week
You mean this one? Clymer, which omits transverse K-series engines like the 2006GT Gen II models.

It for the older Gen I models, not the Gen II transverse models which began in early 2006. See the fine green print on the above link.

You're pretty much stuck with the BMW DVD ROM, which is lousy and omits stuff, asks for special BMW tools, and is a pain to use and look up stuff unless you like a greasy computer too.

Mack
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2009, 10:42 pm

Thanks Mac, that is just a stinker, Amazon is not going to like my review of this "LOL"

Their site does not mention that little bit of info
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2009, 12:33 am
IBR# 366

Quote:
Thanks Mac, that is just a stinker, Amazon is not going to like my review of this "LOL"
If Amazon doesn't take it back for a full refund, you might be able to sell it on over at BMWLT.com.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2009, 5:58 am

Thanks Ken, I will give it the once over first and see if it is just missing the engine stuff or what, then I may send it back??
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2009, 1:07 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Thanks Ken, I will give it the once over first and see if it is just missing the engine stuff or what, then I may send it back??
Having done dozens of services on both bike types, I can say that the Clymer manual won't do you any good at all on an '06 or later GT. The Slant/4 bikes are entirely different from the old Flying Bricks. Different motors, different chassis and suspension, different electronics and CanBus, everything. A refund is your best bet here.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode