How does a GT with bar risers compare to a stock RT? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2009, 6:20 pm Thread Starter

How does a GT with bar risers compare to a stock RT?

I've been test riding K13GTs (but thinking I'll look at used K12GTs), and R12RTs. Tough call; the GT's engine is a lot of fun, and the fairing is fine, but the R12RT's riding position fits me much better, though the engine doesn't get fun till a few downshifts gets you into the 6k rpm and above powerband.

I've looked at the very interesting post at http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...878#Post497878, which visually compares the seating position on the two bikes. There's just not much difference there, but it sure feels radically different.

Do any of you have thoughts on how a K*GT with bar risers/bar backs compares to the stock position on an R12RT?

I've broken a couple of wrists and separated a shoulder in a couple previous accidents, so having weight off my wrists is a big plus for me these days..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2009, 9:49 pm

I just bought a used 07 k1200gt 11k miles. The bars are adjustable, mine are fully raised and I find them to be not bad. I am 6', 30 in. inseem, tall torso, 270 lbs. I am a little sensitive to leaning forward. There are aftermarket riser but I'm good for now, I also have a back and shoulder problem and 59 yrs old. I think a r1200rt would have fit me a little better but the k was a good deal and like new, I'm not sorry I bought the K at all.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2009, 10:00 pm
Noob

I have a '05 R1200RT and just bought a '07 K1200GT with aftermarket bar risers. The RT still has a more up right position and virtually no pressure on the wrists. Not that much on the GT, but more than the RT. I do not think the pressure will bother me, hope not anyway. I am selling the RT and hope I do not regret it.

Maybe take both models out for a spin. The GT has gobs more power and comes on at lower RPMs. Good luck.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2009, 11:46 pm

I tested the RT and have to say that the seating position felt better on the wrists and upper body. It is probably a more comfortable bike. If you have wrist and back problems the RT might be a better way to go. I bought my K knowing all that. I'm not a big RT fan, don't really like the looks or the engine. The K is loads of fun. I figure in 5-10 years I may have to move to an RT for the comfort. I have nerve damage in my wrists and forearms from swinging a hammer for decades.
I figure when I consider myself 'old' I'll get the RT.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2009, 12:13 am
Rookie

Tested both, love both but the prices on the GT's to the RT's orders some consideration. I'm 5'10" w/32 inseam so relitivly equal.
In stock setup the GT was too agressive for me but i came of an 04 RT with barbacks. There was another used one on the lot that had the bar risers and peg lowering brackets. Bottom line pretty darn close to the RT, no pressure on the wrists what so ever and I LOVE the power. It handles well but still thing the RT sliightly better in the twisties due to the shorter wheelbase but for the road and my age it's not really that important to me anymore.
See if you can try one with at least the bar risers on it. It's a whole different animal.

Good Luck!

Ride Safe!

Mark N
San Clemente, CA

Some say its a matter of where you been, I say its a matter of where you're goin'
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2009, 1:35 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments guys (keep them coming). I've not yet been able to test sit/ride one that had risers.

But the engine's pretty dang fun, taht's for sure. And the rest of the package, I can see pluses to either bike - enough that perhaps I'll just end up buying whatever I can find a better deal on.

My main concern on the GT though is that I don't want to start out witha platform that I just can't get to fit me comfortable. At 5'11.5", 177, it shouldn't be tough, but - I had an ST1300 that I spent 6 months and too much money trying to get to fit, and it never did. Went to an 1150GS Adv, and LOVED it. Now I want more sport and more tour, and less dirt.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2009, 1:46 am
Noob

I came off an '04RT to a 07'GT.
The slight forward leaning riding position took some time to get acquainted with.
I did not care to "get acquainted" any longer after a a thousand miles.
I installed Verhden bar risers and had Rick Mayer build me a saddle.
Although still not as comfortable as the RT it was an improvement.
The V-tech windshield helped a bit also.

RichM752
An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2009, 1:49 am
Noob

and I would have bought the lowering pegs also but I needed all the extra dough I could gather to buy a 65' R50/2, if that makes sense.

RichM752
An honest man's pillow is his peace of mind.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2009, 1:54 am

risers

have a 1300 GT..put on risers and had the seat redone that lowered it by about 2 inches and it really helped to get more upright..the original seat seemed to push me up on the gas tank and made it uncomfortable..just did 7000 miles and found it quite comfortable..I have Harleys also.. so am use to sitting upright..sweet bike though..also have a RT and the GT is alot more fun..either is better than none though
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2009, 2:39 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM752
and I would have bought the lowering pegs also but I needed all the extra dough I could gather to buy a 65' R50/2, if that makes sense.
I totally understand! I've got this in the garage:

and it'll never leave, having seen 6 or 8 other bikes come and go since it showed up :-)

*don't ask how my wrists feel when riding this one ;-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode