Tank bag with ports for Hydration bag - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 12th, 2009, 10:52 pm Thread Starter

Tank bag with ports for Hydration bag

Has anyone found a tank bag that will fit a '06' GT with a area for a hydration bag and a port for the hose to come through?

Steve
DFW
'07' GT Blue
'12' R1200GS Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2009, 2:13 am
2 heads are better than 1

Chicane bags have them. Randy Klamm has got that business rolling again and should have a website up again soon. He was vending at CCR this year and had quite a bit of product for sale.

http://www.chicanemotosport.com/index.html

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2009, 6:55 am Thread Starter

Thanks David, I got his site bookmarked but it only has a be back sign on it now, I'll keep watching

Steve
DFW
'07' GT Blue
'12' R1200GS Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2009, 12:00 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxWhiteKnight
Has anyone found a tank bag that will fit a '06' GT with a area for a hydration bag and a port for the hose to come through?
I don't like backpacks while riding, so I came up with my own arrangement for hydration using a Bags Connection "Engage" tank bag with the optional detachable map pocket. The Engage tank bag uses the SW Motech mount, which I highly recommend.

On long rides, I put a 1.5 liter Camelbak liner in the front section of the Engage bag. I wrap it in a kitchen towel to absorb the sweat and insulate the liner. I keep the excess drinking tube under the Engage's zipper flap, and zip it so the tube comes out the right corner close to the rider. (If you don't have cruise control, use the left side so you can keep your hand on the throttle.) I tuck the mouthpiece between the map pocket and the top of the Engage bag. It is easy to get a drink this way, and it is easy to put the mouthpiece out of the way when done.

When full, the Camelbak liner takes up most of the wide front section of the Engage bag. You will still have room for snacks and small personal items such as a digital camera, wallet, cellphone, etc., but not too much. A larger tank bag might be better for some people.

Shop around for the Camelbak liner. I found a plain Camelbak backpack on sale for a much lower price than the replacement liner, so I bought it and then removed the liner for my own use. I have never used the backpack.

The Camelbak liner has a very wide opening. It is easy to fill with ice and water. When I start out on a hot day, I fill it completely with ice, then add water. The ice and crude kitchen towel insulation keeps the water cold for many hours. At fuel stops I politely ask the attendant if I can fill my bag with ice and water from their soda fountain. Nobody has ever said no. On cold days, I don't recommend the ice. DAMHIK.

If you want an Engage bag, go here: http://pirateslair.net/Engagebag.htm
If you want other Bags Connection bags with the SW Motech mount, go here: http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productlist/451/

The photos show my setup. The nuts at the bottom of the Engage bag are rounded and won't snag the Camelbak liner, as long you don't stupidly way-over-tighten the screws so much that the screws poke through the nuts. The kitchen towel provides cushioning as well as moisture absorption and insulation. (I just finished using the liner on a two-day ride; the paper towels are in there to help it air out and dry.)

'Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA130343.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	11126   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA130344.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	11127   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA130345.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	11128   Click image for larger version

Name:	PA130346.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	11129  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2009, 12:14 pm
Veteran

P.S. If you use tank bags with any regularity on a K1200GT or R1200RT, you will find that horn button hits the tank bag when the handlebars are turned full lock to the left. This little gadget solves that problem. It is simple, elegant, and works without interfering with the normal use of the horn.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5...t_Code=8500247

Check out the photos at the bottom of the web page to see how it is used. Note that it installs into the left handlebar mirror mount hole, which isn't obvious from the photos or description because that part of it is hidden. It is a concern only if you already have an accessory that uses the mirror mount hole.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2009, 12:38 pm Thread Starter

Thanks XMagnaRider, that looks like a pretty clean setup. doest that bag slide off easy when fueling up?

Steve
DFW
'07' GT Blue
'12' R1200GS Blue
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2009, 9:41 pm
Addict

+1 on the Engage bag for holding a drink bladder. I also have the larger GS size bag that goes on the same mount and holds a ton of stuff so the bladder doesn't take up the whole bag. Great for longer trips as I can put some stuff up front to relieve the rear biased loading issue of panniers and top( tour pack) case.If you look at teh places that sell the engage bag you will see the larger GA bad too. It fits great, looks huge but works.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2009, 10:40 pm Thread Starter

Larry, is this the GS bag you have? does it fit without ridding on the tank pretty good"

It could be good for all around with it in the compact mode for work the expand it for trips?

Steve
DFW
'07' GT Blue
'12' R1200GS Blue
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2009, 1:29 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxWhiteKnight
Thanks XMagnaRider, that looks like a pretty clean setup. doest that bag slide off easy when fueling up?
Yes. Very easy.

There is a string attached to a spring-loaded pin. The string is snapped to the front of the bag so it is easy to find. Pull on the string and the bag lifts up. To attach, engage the bottom into the open end of the "horseshoe", then the top just snaps into place with a positive click as the pin goes back in. Couldn't be easier or more secure.

The "horseshoe" doesn't interfere with the fuel filler, but you do have to remove the bag to fill up. I just set the bag on my passenger seat while fueling.

These photos may help. Note that the "Pull" strap isn't normally loose. It stays snapped to the front of the bag. Another photo shows the mating part for the bag before it was attached to the bottom of the bag. Finally, there is a metal angled part (like a door strike plate) that helps the pin snap in place - you don't have to pull the string when you attach the bag, only when you detach it.

P.S. Look at the photos on the bottom of this link, they also show how the bag attaches. http://pirateslair.net/Engagebag.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB230215.JPG
Views:	21
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	11137   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB230225.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	11138   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB230227.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	11139   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB230235.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	11140  

Last edited by XMagnaRider; Oct 14th, 2009 at 2:06 am.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2009, 10:50 am
Addict

I have the Chicane-Baja TB. It as a rear port for tube. I dont use it as i'm a camel. The Baja is expandable-just the right size and fits the contour of the faux tank. Also, u can adjust the straps so that when u turn to lock on either side it doesnt honk your horn or turn on the grip heater--which the BMW tank bag does..

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode