HID light trick - did you know this? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2009, 6:50 pm Thread Starter

Question HID light trick - did you know this?

So, here is something I found out a few weeks ago - and I submit it for your otherwise bored entertainment only. No gripes, no poking fun at BMW engineers, no angry dealer rant, just pure entertainment value only.

You all know that the HID headlamp won't come on unless the engine is started,... right?
Well,... that's not entirely true.

I have a downward sloped driveway from street to garage, and I always leave the key in the ignition. In the mornings, I push the K out the door, put on my gear, turn the ignition on, start the bike, and then the HID lamp lights up, and away I go. I can easily see this at 5:00am and I'm sure the neighbor's kids can too in their dark bedrooms across the street.

In the afternoons when I come home from work, I drive the bike down the driveway, turn it uphill with the engine still running, drop the kickstand and the engine dies. Leaving the ignition on, I then open the garage door (need remote in pocket), then remount, put the sidestand up, pull in the clutch (or put it in neutral), and ride it backwards into the garage with the ignition still on, but the engine off.

Guess what? As I start to roll the bike into the garage, the HID comes back on. Stop the motion, and the HID extinguishes its self. Move on, stop off. Move on, stop off. Engine off, transmission in neutral or clutch in so no movement in the transmission, still works.

It seems as long as the ignition switch is on, the electrical system will ignite the ballast if the wheels are turning, or maybe it's the FD turning. I don't know. What's the deal with that?

Now be honest, how many of you knew this?

It doesn't need much speed, just a slow motion. Heck I can't run it up the driveway by hand if I wanted to, and it was only after the daylight hours have gotten shorter (damn it) that I noticed this.

Guess I won't try sneeking in after hours with the engine off after all. The dang headlight will give me away. Some DOT requirement for motorcycles?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2009, 7:07 pm
Enthusiast

Thanks for that info, very interesting. I wonder if that works on non HID system. I think I'll try it on my 06 GT.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2009, 7:21 pm Thread Starter

What bike?

Guess I should have added this. My bike is an '07 GT, and it's the only HID equipped bikes I've owned. Every other conventional bike I've owned with a regular lamp came on instantly after the ignition key was turned on, and went off as soon as the ignition was turned off.

The K comes on after the engine is turned on - OR the ignition is on and the bike is in motion. It turns off when the ignition is off for a couple of seconds or when the ignition is on and the the engine is turned off and the bike is not in motion.

do-do-do-do. do-do-do-do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2009, 8:17 pm
Addict

It would be a bad thing to lose the headlight for any reason while moving at night so it sounds to me like it might be some kind of safety feature, i.e. to make sure that the headlight is on when the bike is in motion, even if the engine dies or is switched off by the kill switch.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2009, 8:35 pm
IBR# 366

One of the "features" of CanBus is that the central computer has access to all the signals and controls. So it can easily know when the bike is rolling or not and turn the headlight on or off as it sees fit. Welcome to the computer age.

But I've killed my bike with the key left on several times and I'm sure the low beam stays on. I know the high beams will dim (as the CanBus drops their input voltage when not in motion), but the low beam stays lit. I do this all the time for illuminating road signs or historical markers so I can get a good picture at night. Of course, having five forward HIDs also helps here . . .

Maybe I'll find a dark hill and play with it sometime.

As for your garage door opener, why not mount it to the bike somewhere? Mine is velcroed above the little shelf in the glove box, meaning I can get to it with the bike running (unless I've locked the glove box, that is). If you have a detached garage that may not work, but I have a wall-mounted button near the walk-in door for that.

Here's another CanBus trick:

To turn off the low beam headlight (halogen or HID):

With the engine running and the bike stopped:
Press & Hold the Turn Signal Cancel button 5 seconds
Press & Hold the Right Turn Signal Button for 5 seconds
The low beam shuts off.

To turn the Low Beam back on, simply Turn On or Flash the High Beam switch. Note that shutting off and restarting the bike will also turn the Low Beam on again as normal.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Oct 13th, 2009 at 8:45 pm.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2009, 10:41 pm Thread Starter

More

I agree with Meese that it is undoubtedly the CAN'T/BUSTED electronics that are responsible for sensing everything OEM on the bike - (good or bad).

Now I'd like to break down the remainder of Meese's multiple ideas.

First, let's forget rolling for a moment and step back. Sure go try that, but here are my issues.

On my bike, when I kill the ignition with the key, (engine stops), the main OEM BMW HID light goes out instantly - it does not stay on.
If I have the engine running and in gear with the clutch pulled in, and I flick the sidestand down, the engine dies and the main OEM BMW HID light goes out instantly or within a second or two - (though the parking lights/tail lights remain on indefinetely). I have left my ignition on for HOURS without a battery disaster, and never has the OEM light caused a problem, because it was not lit. Thank you BMW !!!

It has been my experience that there is no way to drain a healthy battery on a '07 GT on account of the main OEM BMW HID headlamp because you left the key on. It just don't happen on my bike. If you have had lights on to take pictures in the dark, then maybe you left the bike running in neutral or you had one of the many other lamps on??? Go try that again in the garage. Or, perhaps you did some clever wiring to overcome the CAN'T/BUSTED limitations?

I know my auxillary lights (non-HID) are wired directly through the battery and their relay is triggered by the CAN'T/BUSTED auxillary outlet under the tank cover. So I can turn them on, as soon as the ignition is on and the "reboot diagnostics" are complete, and I can leave those on until the battery is drained with ignition on, or they will only stay on for a minute with the ignition switched off.

A little off topic, but concerning the garage door opener. I don't like leaving "security" devices in/on my vehicles or having them locked in my glovebox. That defeats the purpose. And, I have an attached garage with a pad on the house wall. But I can't push it there to leave, because if I break the plain of the outside door on my way out, it opens again as a safety feature (like all modern openers do). Besides, I have a remote lock/unlock for my 3rd party topcase, so I key ring both openers and carry them in my pocket. That's high tech enough for me.

The other tip about turning headlights on or off is good, and can be found in the owner's manual. I suggest others read those as well. There is a similar one for turning parking lights on with ignition off:
1) Turn ignition off, then
2) press left turn

Still wondering if the headlight thing works the same on non-HID bikes.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2009, 10:58 pm

for that pesky garage door, I took this off of my V Star and will put it on or try to use it on my GT
Flash 2 Pass

Steve
DFW
'07' GT Blue
'12' R1200GS Blue
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2009, 12:03 am Thread Starter

Pesky GDO - Not

Thanks Tx,

For those of you who have or have solved garage door opener solutions here, maybe these are good ideas some are passing on here. Go for it if you want.

I've got 4 momos in the garage and an SUV, and the only real solution I have or want is for the 4 wheeler. For that I bought an electronic auto-dimming mirror with compass and temperature and garage door capabilities, and then wired it so it only works with the key in the ignition, and the engine running. Plus that one has a pretty good security system that automatically locks the doors when I walk away from it. It's easy to operate, and I don't have to worry about manuvering the SUV to turn it uphill before parking, it's always in solid contact with the pavement, no worries about tipping over, etc. On the other hand, the bikes require some concentration when getting them in the driveway and turned around before I ever have to think about a GD. I have plenty to keep me occupied. No big time saver here as far as I am concerned.

I guess I just don't want any battery powered remote device left on or about my vehicles that might let an unscrupulous "guest" let them think I am saying "hey look at me, I live here, come on in" by flapping my GDs up and down after I am dumb enough to leave my keys on a bike and they subsequently discover the opener and remember where they stole the bike from. Or even worse, somebody sees a device mounted externally on the bike that looks like a a GD opener, and then gets an idea to come try it while I'm not around.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2009, 1:34 am
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman
On my bike, when I kill the ignition with the key, (engine stops), the main OEM BMW HID light goes out instantly - it does not stay on.
Same as on mine, so far.

Quote:
If I have the engine running and in gear with the clutch pulled in, and I flick the sidestand down, the engine dies and the main OEM BMW HID light goes out instantly or within a second or two
Now this confuses me. I've stopped my engine with the side stand and walked away for a minute or two and the low beam was still on. I know because "helpful" folks kept saying "your headlight is on" (yeah I know, I did that on purpose). This was at an LD Rally checkpoint and I was off the bike, checked in, verified my next destination, and was rolling again while most of them were still trying to find their maps . . .

Quote:
If you have had lights on to take pictures in the dark, then maybe you left the bike running in neutral or you had one of the many other lamps on???
I've also had the bike running in neutral, and sometimes had the other driving lamps lit, but I specifically remember the side stand not killing the low beam. Guess I just need to go for a night ride and find a hill.

As for the garage door opener, if it's a security thing for you that's cool. For me, it's a convenience.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2009, 4:54 am
Veteran

Any possibilty we are confusing the low beam for the parking lights?

Gilly.

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode