Caribou Bags - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2009, 7:04 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Caribou Bags

Caribou makes a Pelican-based bag system, mostly oriented toward the adventure-touring crowd. The 36 or 40-liter top boxes look ideal for carrying camera equipment, since there is undoubtedly a customizeable foam insert that would insulate the camera gear from vibration and bumps, and bags are detachable and lockable.

Does anyone know whether this system would allow a detachable installation on the 1300GT?

2009 K1300GT (Red) :
-----------------------------------
2002 R1150R (Sold)
1997 Honda VFR 750 (Sold)
1997 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (Totalled)
1995 Honda ST1100 (Sold)
1980 Honda GL1100 (Sold)
1983 Yamaha XV920 (Sold)
1979 Honda CX500 (Sold)
1980 Yamaha XS400 Special II (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 13th, 2009, 7:53 pm

Why not use a BMW box or a GIVI and fit the foam in it your self and it won't look as corny as the caribou. If you use GIVI system or SHAD you can buy 2 of the same box and switch as needed. Shad are just as good as GIVI and are less money. You can buy 2 40 litre SHAD for under $300. Pop them on and off. I don't know if it is proper to post a luggage dealer here but I do know a good one if you PM me.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2009, 7:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilgundel
Does anyone know whether this system would allow a detachable installation on the 1300GT?
Yes, I looked into this in the past. Caribou bags with locking adapters will lock to Givi racks. So you need the right kind of Caribou case and also the Givi rack adapter to convert the GT's rack to a Givi rack.

Caribou also sells just the locking portion (no case), which you could install onto almost any size case you like, provided the bottom is flat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2009, 7:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by soggybottom
Why not use a BMW box or a GIVI and fit the foam in it your self and it won't look as corny as the caribou.
I actually ended up doing this instead of getting the Caribou. The problem is the BMW box is really more of a nicely painted removable trunk. It gets absolutely thrashed when used as an equipment box, because I end up doing things like throwing it up on a workbench, sliding it around, it's constantly touching walls or rocks or dirt or whatever. The BMW bag is great for what it's meant to be, but the finish definitely isn't meant for heavy duty tasks like the Pelican/Caribou can handle.

Plus, you end up getting a Pelican ANYWAY because you need to do things occasionally like throw the box in a car trunk or on a plane and you definitely don't want an airline handling the BMW box as luggage. As long as you must have the Pelican anyway, you might as well have a GT-mountable Caribou and use it all the time, bike or not.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2009, 8:30 pm

ten-four
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2009, 6:38 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Action_Mango
I actually ended up doing this instead of getting the Caribou.
Thanks for all the info! From what you said, my understanding is that you got the hardware from Caribou & attached a Pelican case - which sounds ideal due to the huge choice of cases and inserts they offer.

How does the hardware attach to the case? Is the hardware kit a standard item - I didn't see it in the obvious places on their site.

I definitely think the pelican's finish will stand up better to being dragged around than a typical top box.

2009 K1300GT (Red) :
2002 R1150R (Sold)
1995 Honda ST1100 (Sold)
1980 Honda GL1100 (Sold)
1983 Yamaha XV920 (Sold)
1979 Honda CX500 (Sold)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2009, 6:15 pm

Quote:
Thanks for all the info! From what you said, my understanding is that you got the hardware from Caribou & attached a Pelican case - which sounds ideal due to the huge choice of cases and inserts they offer.
Actually what I did, after trying the foam method, was getting a smaller a case to fit inside the BMW top case. In this manner I'm just using the BMW top case like a car trunk for the smaller actual case. BTW - I have lots of nice foam available if anyone wants to go the foam route.
Quote:
How does the hardware attach to the case? Is the hardware kit a standard item - I didn't see it in the obvious places on their site.
I did not personally go this route, but I did research it on the website, by email, and by talking to the Caribou guy in person at the MOA rally. You need the following DIY kit, then use the template to drill your case.

http://cariboucases.com/store/?name=...=i&item=000280

For some reason the website only shows the kit in two packs (presumably for saddlebags) and you want one kit for a top case. Anyway, contact the Caribou guy by email, he is very flexible and he'd probably sell you a single. If not, I'll split a pair with you. I want one anyway to attach a long rifle case.

After doing that you will have whatever size case you want and a lockable Givi attachment mounted to it. You'll still need a Givi adapter to convert the GT rack to a Givi rack.

By the way, if Caribou does have a size that suits you, I would definitely go with the Caribou bag. He adds a lock to the case itself that is key matched to the mount lock, so you have a single key to either open or release the case. If you DIY, you'll have a key to release the case but you'll need a padlock for the Pelican with its own key (or combination) to keep it securely closed.

One last thing, the locking mechanism to mount the bag to the bike isn't itself terribly secure. Someone with common hand tools could disassemble the mechanism and make off with the whole locked case. This is fine for stops and breaks, but I certainly wouldn't leave it on the bike, out of sight, for more than a lunch break or so.

One laster thing, the Caribou guy IS willing to sell a key-matched lock pretty cheap if I recall. Thus you MIGHT be able to drill your Pelican and end up with a key-matched open and release, but he suspects it would be difficult to do. For his bags, he uses specific jigs that he made and they won't fit other size cases. (I asked him to do a custom size lockable case for me and he explained why he couldn't.)

Hope this helps. Keep me in mind if you want to split a 2-pack!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 17th, 2009, 6:38 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Well, I contacted Caribou by email - their response was

"Our DIY kit for Givi racks is made for side cases only. We do offer a “Universal Top Case” system, but you have to bolt the cargo plate to the tail rack section on your bike – you need a 4-bolt pattern 4”-6” apart."

So, looks like the Givi option won't work

2009 K1300GT (Red) :
2002 R1150R (Sold)
1995 Honda ST1100 (Sold)
1980 Honda GL1100 (Sold)
1983 Yamaha XV920 (Sold)
1979 Honda CX500 (Sold)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2009, 6:33 pm

I'm confused, I thought Givi top/left/right bags were all the same bag.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 20th, 2009, 6:49 pm

I'm also, I thought neil was looking for a top box, Givi or Shad has a universal plate that will mount to any rear rack. I prefer the Shad because it comes with a mount plate, One I've used on smaller bikes even has a top rack on the box with a fitted bungy.

A good place to get Shad is www.motorcycleluggage.com best prices and free shipping
no affiliation, just good people and fast service.

just sayin

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode