Considering K1300GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2009, 10:42 am Thread Starter
Noob

Considering K1300GT

I've been eyeing the K1200GT for two years and now it's the K1300GT. My only hesitation on the K1200 was dealer network and later the final drive failures and other malfunctions. Now on he K1300GT it's the stalling and still drive issues. I really want one of these but I'm also leaning towards the 2010 Kawi Concours 14, way less dollars and most of the enhancements that the K1300 has without the reliability problem. I currently have the Honda ST1300 and it's bulletproof. Never left me stranded in over 70,000 miles. I guess I just want a change. Can one of you owners talk to be about your experiences with the K1300GT in terms of reliability and maintenance? I live in DE and Desimmone BMW in Marlton NJ is closing this Nov. The closest dealer is now Bob's BMW in Maryland. Maintenance servicing is an issue for me because I have to travel over 2 hrs to get there and it can only be on the weekend. For the taller riders out there, how does it work for you over the long ride, I'm 6'6" with a 36" inseam.
Thanks much!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2009, 4:25 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
you should really demo the Concours.

Kawi's heat control is not very good at all, it would be a great spring and summer bike, but if you ride any 90F days it will cook you with engine heat.

My son was going to replace his Busa, as his girl friend really didn't like the riding position on the Busa. We were able to demo the Concours 14 on a July day, he rode my K12 and the Concours and he now has a K12, he said the heat was bad off the Busa, but the Concours was a roaster.

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2009, 4:55 pm
IBR# 366

The 2010 Concours14 supposedly has redesigned bodywork to minimize the heat problem. But it's too soon to tell if it worked or not.

At least that's one thing that BMW did get right. I've ridden hours through 110+ without any issues from the bike.

I agree, you need to test ride them all and then make your decision based on that. Sure, the new Connie is cheaper, but if cost were the only concern you'd simply be sticking with your ST.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2009, 5:24 pm

Those guys are right. Test ride 'em all and buy the one that puts the biggest grin on your mug.

For me, that was the K13GT.

Don't ride one if you aren't ready to buy, though. I was casually looking for a more touring-oriented bike to possibly replace my GSA. Great bike, lots of people tour on them and a fair number (fewer than you would be led to believe) can rally them off-road - but the swiss-army-dual-sport-with-a-thyroid-problem wasn't working out for me. Off pavement was just no fun for me on that bike. It's a beast. Decided to get a little dual-sport for dirt and pounding around (WR250R - love it, too - that's a gem of a little bike) and a tourer or sport-tourer for the road and my new long-distance riding addiction. Looked at the RT and the GT.

Rode the GT and "casually" rolled down the hill and was lost. Hook, line, sinker, tackle box - I had to have that bike!

When you find the bike that makes you feel like that, well, there ya go.

Dave

PS - No regrets here!!! 3300 miles in the first 45 days - bush league for some, but that's a good start in my world.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2009, 6:21 pm

I'm seeing lots of rumors of a new ST soon. If you're happy with your Honda dealer and the ST in general, maybe you should wait to see that.

That being said, I'm a big GT fan and it came with standard accessories that aren't even available as options on the Concours. It still amazes me that most sport-touring bikes don't have cruise control. (And I hate, HATE, the George Forman Grill saddlebags.)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 15th, 2009, 7:33 pm
Rookie

Although I love my K13 my faith in the reliability of the machine is definitely shaken. I do feel that BMW is working on it though and hopeful it will get resolved soon. I've had the TB "fix:" done with only 300 miles but it is running really well. Having said all this the biggest concern is the dealer so far away. With my bike being in the shop (including regular maintenance) the bike has been in the shop about half a dozen times and I can't imagine having to arrange transportation from and back to the dealer. If the shop participates in the loaner program it wouldn't be that big of a deal but mine doesn't.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2009, 6:04 am

I love my KGT - best bike for me ever.

But as others have said, you must test ride any bike you want to ride.

We can tell you everything about how this is the best thing since sliced bread, that is a pecie of #$%^, those stink, them are great etc. etc

But until you throw a leg over it and see how you and the bike fit together you wont know.

All that being said, your test ride on the GT will be expensive!! Half way thru the test ride i know this was the bike.

Good luck and have fun deciding

2009 KGT1300 Apple Red (mine)
2008 RT Biarritz Blue (mine - sold)
2005 ST Piedmont Red/Light Magnesium (hers)
Luis Roth
BMWMOA #143775 IBA# 35651
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2009, 8:50 am
Enthusiast

I agree. Be careful of that test ride! I've been riding R bikes for years. Took a test ride on a 2008 K12GT while my R12ST was being serviced. Got back on my R bike and wondered who stole the engine! Don't get me wrong, I love the boxer twin, but the K12GT is so much smoother and certainly more powerful. The K12GT sits where the R12ST used to reside. Love that bike!

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Oct 16th, 2009, 9:20 am

Our two up "sport touring" machine has been a 1990 Honda CBR 1000F (with Krauser bags). While a great bike, we have spent a very long time looking for a better long-distance tourer, that still had a sporting nature when you get to those good roads you have been riding all that distance to get to.

Over the last few years (I did say a very long time), we have been renting and test riding the various contenders (for us). ST1300 (long term rental), FJR1300 (test ride), ST1100 (test ride), K1200S (test ride), K1200GT (long term rental).

The Concours (1400) didn't make it to the test ride stage because the passenger accommodations didn't work for us. Too bad, as I liked the bike, but we were getting it for mostly two-up riding.

The FJR1300 was the closest to being the winner, the K1200S was the best bike to ride on, but was essentially a new version of our Honda, and suffered from some of the same touring issues. The GT was a surprise. We rented one on a trip, because it was available and was similar to the S we liked so much.

We fell in love with it. It's all about the riding experience. But, it was just out of our price range, so that was that. Then the economy tanked, and dealers had left over 2008 GTs to get rid of.

Buy what makes you happy, but make sure the experience of riding it comes into play as much as more practical concerns such as dealer networks, or worse yet, peer pressure.

I have a few friends who have bought Harleys (and Busa's these days) with what their friends would think as one of their concerns.

I have grown up with almost exclusively Japanese bikes, and this is the first non "big 4" streetbike I have ever owned.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 4:02 pm
Noob

1300GT love

I am 60 years old and have been a motorcyclist since my teens.

Most recently I was riding an R1150GS and decided to leave it at my vacation home in the Texas hill country which is 500 miles from my primary home.

I went into the dealership to test ride an RT for a newer second bike. I rode the RT and then the K1300GT. In 20 miles I was sold. There is just something about all that power and comfort (with a Corbin seat) that I couldn't resist. I have just over 3000 miles on the bike and my dealer replaced both switch bundles at the 600 mile service. I have had no reliability issues at all. No hesitation, no starting problems, nothing. I rode 200 miles yesterday and ended because of the time with a smile on my face. It is fun at 50mph, 80mph, and 100mph.

Go for it.
John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode